Crossover Ethernet Cable?

hoss

Inspired
Years ago I destroyed my Line 6 FVB floor unit by using a crossover Ethernet cable from my POD XT Pro (because the cable was a nice red).

Is there a similar danger to the MFC, when connecting it to the Axe-FX II?

Years ago I destroyed my Line 6 FVB floor unit by using a crossover Ethernet cable from my POD XT Pro (because the cable was a nice red).

Is there a similar danger to the MFC, when connecting it to the Axe-FX II?

You can get cross-over cables in other cables. Red is often used but don't think they are limited to being red. You can also get regular cables in red. So, my point is don't go by color alone. I have nothing to offer on your question however. :D

Never mix up a standard ethernet cable with a crossover cable. The wires lead to a different place from end to end and they are not interchangeable. Only use what is specifically called for, and label your cables clearly so you know the difference. If power is running through one of the pins, which may be the case with Line 6, you will run into big problems. As far as the Axe Fx II is concerned, I can't give any info on that specifically.

This should be a warning for Axe II/MFC users. You can easily overlook if it is a xover cable.

Never mix up a standard ethernet cable with a crossover cable. The wires lead to a different place from end to end and they are not interchangeable. Only use what is specifically called for, and label your cables clearly so you know the difference.
True, unless you're running gigabit ethernet. GE negotiates pair usage on a per-connection basis, so either a crossover or straight-through cable will work fine. That said, I'm sorry, but I can't offer any hard information to answer the OP's question either.

how to test if its a cross-over cable for us normal mortal people? Any tips from any tech wizard out here?
Look at the wire colors in the plastic plugs from the underside. If they are the same in both plugs (e.g. orange wire on the left, blue on the right) it is a regular cable. If they are opposite it's a x-over.

A straight-through ethernet cable has identical connections on both ends: pin 1 is connected to pin 1, pin 2 is connected to pin to, etc. In a crossover cable, two wire pairs are flopped around: pin 1 on one end goes to pin 3 on the other, and pin 2 goes to pin 6.

It may not be true anymore but crossover cables always that fact printed on cable sheath. Good answers above though, compare the two ends. And I also remember red=crossover, not true anymore.

Back
Top Bottom