CRL

budda007

Inspired
I just had a question for those that use the CRL. Is there a difference in signal or tone if you are running AXE output 1 to the CRL input 1 and the link out from the CRL to the FOH vs. output 1 from the axe to the FOH.

no it is just a pas through of what the axe is feeding it. Most people prefer to send a separate output to clr so that can control clr volume without messing with what they send to foh

Reactions: yek
Not exactly sue I understand the question, BUT FOH tone is always contengent on the quality of the speakers. The CLR is top shelf tone and I would guess always sound better than FOH.

Most times the CLR will sound better because its designed for AXE FX II boxes, around a 12 " speaker and with a flat response. Most PA's are usually 15-18 inch subs bi amped or tri amped with horn drivers using different amps running each one for vocals, horns, drums, bass etc etc. Not just guitars, even if the CLR has worked well in small venues for voice and guitar I'm told. Now, using an IR (cab simulation) from within the Axe FX II to the FOH will help its sound tone wise, but imo it won't sound as good as through the CLR sitting on the stage. FoH will be louder however...;)

Most times the CLR will sound better because its designed for AXE FX II boxes, around a 12 " speaker and with a flat response. Most PA's are usually 15-18 inch subs bi amped or tri amped with horn drivers using different amps running each one for vocals, horns, drums, bass etc etc. Not just guitars, even if the CLR has worked well in small venues for voice and guitar I'm told. Now, using an IR (cab simulation) from within the Axe FX II to the FOH will help its sound tone wise, but imo it won't sound as good as through the CLR sitting on the stage. FoH will be louder however...;)

According to Jay Mitchell(the guy who designed the CLR for Atomic) the CLR is not designed for AxeFX boxes. This design has been around for if I remember correct, something like 20 years. The CLR is "just" a flat speaker without the phase issues found in other speakers. Google Frazier speakers, which is Jay Mitchell's speaker company.
The CLR is the first time he(Jay Mitchell) involves in a product aimed for non-company customers.

Well, I believe what budda007 is asking is: does passing through a CLR alter the signal I send to FOH?

I've not tried it, but I believe that

1. the CLR design is made for letting the signal pass as transparently as possible through the Link socket;
2. an amount of alteration is unavoidable, since it's a physical circuit anyway;
3. the actual amount of alteration could be basically negligible for practical uses.

Let's not forget that the connection to FOH through the cab implies using a further cable, two plugs and two sockets.

According to Jay Mitchell(the guy who designed the CLR for Atomic) the CLR is not designed for AxeFX boxes. This design has been around for if I remember correct, something like 20 years. The CLR is "just" a flat speaker without the phase issues found in other speakers. Google Frazier speakers, which is Jay Mitchell's speaker company.
The CLR is the first time he(Jay Mitchell) involves in a product aimed for non-company customers.

Hummm well drop my drawers and shoot off bottle rockets... Because it just works so well with the Axe FX II, I just assumed it was built for the best of guitar preamps/modelers. Can you show a link to this please??? All I can find is this...

"Let's be clear here: the speaker's intended uses are not confined to guitar, and the highpass filter is a measure taken to protect the woofer from overexcursion. "Too much LF" can easily occur in the complete absence of any "issues with upstream equipment" simply due to the nature of the music being amplified."

Confined, versus designed takes on a whole nother meaning to me, meaning that its not "just" for the Axe FX II... oh well...

Anywho the point still stands about the CLR sounding better than your FoH in most cases because of the 12" speaker/flat response involved.

Last edited:
Hummm well drop my drawers and shoot off bottle rockets... Because it just works so well with the Axe FX II, I just assumed it was built for the best of guitar preamps/modelers. Can you show a link to this please??? All I can find is this...

"Let's be clear here: the speaker's intended uses are not confined to guitar, and the highpass filter is a measure taken to protect the woofer from overexcursion. "Too much LF" can easily occur in the complete absence of any "issues with upstream equipment" simply due to the nature of the music being amplified."

Confined, versus designed takes on a whole nother meaning to me, meaning that its not "just" for the Axe FX II... oh well...

Anywho the point still stands about the CLR sounding better than your FoH in most cases because of the 12" speaker/flat response involved.

I just read it in one of jays posts in the gear page. But I think it was maybe a year ago but I'm not sure.
Anyhow it sounds incredible!
If I find the post I will put a link here.

Post #200

Atomic Amps - "Coincident Linear Reference" Designed by Jay Mitchell!!! - Page 14 - The Gear Page

Post #175

Atomic Amps - "Coincident Linear Reference" Designed by Jay Mitchell!!! - Page 12 - The Gear Page

These are some of the posts, but the idea of my post and what I read from Jays posts is that the CLR is designed to let out what you put in without much audible coloring.

You could use it however you like just people prepared that the source of your sound will not be seasoned in any way positive/negative.

I read both posts 175 and 200. To me they read kinda like I stated, as in general terms the statement I made about it being designed for the Axe FX II is still true, along with any other well made sounding music making box. Both damn things are very good at what they do. As I think you meant, the CLR is just not specifically and only for the Axe FX II. But that doesn't mean it was not designed to work well with it. Didn't mean to be so specific and a little biased there but we are on the Axe FX forums so I lean that direction ;).. AND yes it works well for anything else that sounds good, because get out of it what you put into it. Like he said. Like you said... lol... Bottom line for me is I have both of them and they complement each other greatly. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom