Creating Failure guitar sounds with the AxeFX III

@Ken Andrews Are you serious?? I've had Magnified in the playlist every day since you did that rig rundown video a while back, and I've been absolutely poring over the tones there... Thank you for doing this! I've really been enjoying the YouTube channel as well.

Yes! I discovered Failure through playing in Sparrows, and the Fuzzrocious Heliotropic has been a mainstay since 2017.

Thanks for this.

Last edited:
I finally pulled the trigger on the AxeFx III after seeing Failure play in Brooklyn last Spring and being absolutely floored by the guitar and bass tones, so needless to say seeing this video pop up on your channel made me light up like a slot machine! Thanks for the insight building patches Ken! Between the millisecond delay, slight pitch shift and use of the multiband comp - I have a lot of experimenting to do. Cheers!

These kinds of tones are my favorite thing to use the axe 3 for. Time to go back in and re-dial my stereo rigs! Building that delay into the preset pushes everything over that edge of cool as hell and makes it super satisfying to play

Question about the IRs for Ken or anyone else on here: does running the same IRs for left and right to help avoid any extra weird phase issues or is it just easier to dial in complimentary tones with that shaping both sides? Curious to know the mindset behind that with the amount of cabs we have available

I finally pulled the trigger on the AxeFx III after seeing Failure play in Brooklyn last Spring and being absolutely floored by the guitar and bass tones, so needless to say seeing this video pop up on your channel made me light up like a slot machine! Thanks for the insight building patches Ken! Between the millisecond delay, slight pitch shift and use of the multiband comp - I have a lot of experimenting to do. Cheers!
Very similar experience. I saw a Failure show here in San Francisco in 2014, and remember thinking at the time it was one of the best sounding shows I'd been to in years. About a year later I saw a rig rundown that they were entirely Axe-FX, and remembering how great that 2014 show sounded (not for a second in the audience would I have thought the amp tones weren't "real"), I knew modeling had truly arrived, and decided it was time for me to get an Axe-FX. A decision to this day I'm truly pleased I made.

In related news I saw Failure again at the Fillmore about 10 months back, no hyperbole, was the best show I've seen in nearly 15 years. They sounded phenomenal (I'd wager even an order or magnitude better still than the previous time I saw them), the light show and presentation was perfectly executed, was a great mix of new and old songs, and you just got the sense in the room that night that both the audience and band were super into it. Seriously can't recommend enough that anyone who's uninitiated check out all their albums and then definitely go see them live.

This is a great video, I love your tone @Ken Andrews.

For anyone who has 2 minutes, I've just been playing around with my Axe3 and I cannot work out how the amps are running stereo with only one cab block? I thought you needed a cab block per amp to be able to rout the signal around in the stereo field.

If I play with the balance control on the amp blocks I get either hard panning to one side, nothing or regular centre positioning.

Can anyone tell me how to do this correctly?

This is a great video, I love your tone @Ken Andrews.

For anyone who has 2 minutes, I've just been playing around with my Axe3 and I cannot work out how the amps are running stereo with only one cab block? I thought you needed a cab block per amp to be able to rout the signal around in the stereo field.

If I play with the balance control on the amp blocks I get either hard panning to one side, nothing or regular centre positioning.

Can anyone tell me how to do this correctly?
IR slots 1/3 are for left and 2/4 are for right if I remember correctly.

Edit:

You need to set Input Mode of the Cab block to Stereo, too.

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/fas-guides/Fractal-Audio-Blocks-Guide.pdf

Back
Top Bottom