Creating a VH II Preset

IMO start with the Brit Brown factory preset . I found that one to be very close in tone and especially feel.
I was studying Classical when VH hit and when I first started playing guitar I was influenced by wanting to play Country Blues + and blues rock big Johnny Winter fan . So I did not have anywehere near a decent hard rock technique for that but man that sound ! I wanted that sound bad , went out and bought a Marshall and cab expecting instant Van Halen -ness ha NOT I sucked at tweaking tube amps but I wore those records out trying to learn it by ear .
That tone is in there search the Forum there are some great VH user presets out there

Thanks guys, some great info.

No, I don't have an XL. Can you post a screen shot of your preset from Axe Edit? I would like to have a look at how it's layed out...

I'm at work right now but will post the patch, a screen shot of the grid and a sample sound clip tonight when I get home. Keep in mind, I have tried many of the patches on Axe-change and they never quite sound right with my setup, so y'all may have the same problem with my patch. I use an EVH Wolfgang guitar (see my avatar) with the stock pups in it. I love the way it does any EVH up until the 1984 album. (some stuff on Diver Down doesn't work with my setup either.) Back at you soon.

I'm at work right now but will post the patch, a screen shot of the grid and a sample sound clip tonight when I get home. Keep in mind, I have tried many of the patches on Axe-change and they never quite sound right with my setup, so y'all may have the same problem with my patch. I use an EVH Wolfgang guitar (see my avatar) with the stock pups in it. I love the way it does any EVH up until the 1984 album. (some stuff on Diver Down doesn't work with my setup either.) Back at you soon.

Thanks in advance dude!

Excellent!

Excellent!

ok, sorry it's taken all night to get to this... Here is the sound sample;
Here is the patch, I call it EVH =VH= 1...only works on the XL (sorry). View attachment EVH =VH= 1 new.syx
Always looking for feedback (good or bad), want to get better at playing and tweaking.
And a screen shot is coming...soon :shock. Ok, here it is...
attachment.php

Hope this helps all you EVH tone chasers and VH fans. Also, happy to answer any questions about the preset. There's a delay in there for ATBL and a flanger and phaser for, well, you know when they're needed.

Attachments

• EVH Preset.jpg
    EVH Preset.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
Using two different ultrarez cabs, both from the OwnHammer Cab Pack 3 collection. 1. M-PR-55 (based on a 1971 “pre-Rola” Celestion G12M w. 55 Hz cone) 2. D-120 (based on an early 70's JBL D120F)

Thanks for the patch!

Your clip sounds good but you need way more volume for me to really tell.......it needs to be exploding out the speakers! lol...

Is the left/right panning of guitar & reverb setup in the patch, or did you do that in your DAW?

Last edited:
Sounds really good & loud! Nice playing.........could you please share the patch!

Go to the "Soundclip Contest" thread in the "News" sub-thread. Page #1, Post #14. The FW 16.04.1 patch and instructions on using Scenes to do the "Dive-bomb" thing at the end of "Eruption" are posted there. A lot of controller stuff going on there. If you are new to "controllers",
check out what's going on.

B.T.W. Your mailbox is full......

Last edited:
Thanks for the patch!

Your clip sounds good but you need way more volume for me to really tell.......it needs to be exploding out the speakers! lol...

Is the left/right panning of guitar & reverb setup in the patch, or did you do that in your DAW?

The panning is done in the grid, not in post. and you're right the volume was way too low on that clip...was up too late last night. Here it is louder.

Go to the "Soundclip Contest" thread in the "News" sub-thread. Page #1, Post #14.

I downloaded the patch and I can't get any sound. When I bypass the cab block I get sound but I can't figure out whats going on with the cab block to make it not work. I unlinked it from global cabs but other than that I don't know.

He has a modifier on the cab block for volume (db level) kill that and you'll have sound. Or plug an expression pedal into ext. controller 1 and you can control the volume.

Ya what he said........:encouragement: I use an external controller attached to the cab block level in all my presets for volume control. I keep forgetting to remove my external controllers before posting presets.

Ok thanks I cleared it, I'll check the news sub-thread......

What gives you that real squishy tone like during the Women In Love & Feel Your Love parts in your clip?

They say that tone is in the hands. My fingers are chubby.............:lol

And I dig in really hard with my pick for that VH vibe.

Let me know how it translates to your setup.

When I'm playing this preset, it doesn't sound all that close. Maybe because of the latency from the "Pitch" block (1/2 step down)? But I recorded myself noodling around and thought it sounded pretty darn close.

It was "tone matched" (with the "Cab" block on) to "Feel Your Love Tonight" then dialed the "amount" parameter in the "Tone Match" block to 80%

Back
Top Bottom