Creating a Preset from the Front Panel

Really good tutorial, Must see by all new ax8 users. Looks like so easy to use this front panel.

I will watch this for sure. I got my AX8 two months ago and have barely touched the pedal itself for preset creation or modification. I’ve been tied to AX8 Edit for that. It’s time to cut the cord ... figuratively, of course!

Great video Leon

I think the reason AX8 gets flack for the UI is that it's not intuitive. You sit down with the unit. Without opening the manual, how many guesses would you need before you held down enter to make a connection across?

Great video Leon

I think the reason AX8 gets flack for the UI is that it's not intuitive. You sit down with the unit. Without opening the manual, how many guesses would you need before you held down enter to make a connection across?

I agree. The axefx was a lot more intuitive imho. Since I am ONLY in a home studio it's OK with me. But that does not help others. Leons video sure will help.

Haha, you guys are making me feel smart. . I ONLY use the UI to write my programs/patches, and haven't even used Axe-Edit once. . Since day1, absolutely no issues at all , and intuitive to me. You're reaffirming that my mind must be very different and strange! ;)

Eric

Last edited:
I see the AX8 UI cops a fair amount of flack, but to be fair it's not that much harder to setup a great sounding preset from the front panel than it is with AX8-Edit. Here's a quick and dirty Plexi patch demonstrating the ins and outs.

A common sense genius approach !! And a fellow Aussie. Onya mate!!

I'm so dependent on the AX8 Edit, I was just thinking about getting better at this, just in case I didn't have my Lap Top and had to make major adjustments.
Nice work Leon!

Nice video. That step by step walk through is a fast track to picking it up. The AX8 sure is easy to program compared to a FCB1010 or the ol' VG-8, or any number of rack MFX or synths I've used over the years. And sure helps to read the manual, but I even need to do that with a cell phone for advanced functions. I found the AX8 front panel logically systematic and easy to remember once I went through it. Its no biggie to change things around on the fly without a computer even though I primarily use AX8 Edit to frame the basic setup. I don't have to take my laptop along "just in case".

Last edited:
Nice video. That step by step walk through is a fast track to picking it up. The AX8 sure is easy to program compared to a FCB1010 or the ol' VG-8, or any number of rack MFX or synths I've used over the years. And sure helps to read the manual, but I even need to do that with a cell phone for advanced functions. I found the AX8 front panel logically systematic and easy to remember once I went through it. Its no biggie to change things around on the fly without a computer even though I primarily use AX8 Edit to frame the basic setup. I don't have to take my laptop along "just in case".

Ah the old VG-8; my Dad had (still has) one of those when I was a kid. The synth effects always blew my mind as a young'un.

Ah the old VG-8; my Dad had (still has) one of those when I was a kid. The synth effects always blew my mind as a young'un.

The synth effects were awesome: I kept it for years just for those. Ultimately, I sold it and took piano classes because its a lot easier to do all that synth and midi stuff on a keyboard. And I really just want a guitar to sound like a guitar.

Excellent video!

Having a good mental map of the system is the thing that lets me dial in a sound quickly. Whether I am on the hardware or the editor isn't really important anymore, as long as I work with purpose. ("It's got a bit too much low end overall... Let's cut it in the CAB block! ... I wish the echo pans weren't so extreme... MASTER PAN!"

I finally watched this, and it's similar to what I do. I would like to add 1 thing though that will help many of you! I will SAVE/STORE quite a few times, my program as I'm writing it. I've learned the hard way if you get going to fast you can accidentally hit something wrong (i.e. the 'B' knob), and exit out and if you haven't stored it, it's gone. . SO typically as I add each effect in the chain I'll just re-Save it. I didn't see where that was mentioned, but I bet others of you do the same thing. The other thing I tend to do a little differently is assign/set my 1-8 footswitches 1 by 1 as I add something, as it's easier for me to activate/bypass something that way instead of the SHIFT-EDIT. Whatever works for you though :) Thanks Leon , you're the man!

Eric

Last edited:
Good point Eric, if you use the A-E knobs to change scenes (C) or footswitches (A) (on the front screen), you may very easily hit B, which changes the preset (I may remember A-E assignments wrong, but you get the point). If you change the preset everything is gone.

To me the number one thing about editing presets on the unit is to have consistency in your presets. At some point, I would alter drive and volume levels using pre and post amp block filter blocks, and in other presets, I might use scene controllers. It turned out that I had lots of presets that I could not really edit, because I was not sure how they really worked. (was it Filter 1 or 2, was it the x- or the y-state). I find it really difficult to get an overview of a complicated preset on the front panel, since you have to scroll through the block diagram. At some point, I made a decision that all my presets should be structured the same way. This has helped a lot. Now I just hit the edit button until I get to the effect, I want to edit. That has one major drawback though. If I double tap the Edit button it will x/y switch the current effect block - so I have to make sure I tap edit reeeeeaaaally slowly, or I might mess up my preset. I still have a problem whenever I have two of the same blocks in the same preset, but I can usually figure it out.

I still think editing through the front panel is certainly doable albeit sometimes a bit cumbersome. Building complicated presets from scratch including parallel FX, scene controllers and external controllers is very difficult to me, since I need too many button presses that are in no way logical to me.

Excellent video!

Having a good mental map of the system is the thing that lets me dial in a sound quickly. Whether I am on the hardware or the editor isn't really important anymore, as long as I work with purpose. ("It's got a bit too much low end overall... Let's cut it in the CAB block! ... I wish the echo pans weren't so extreme... MASTER PAN!"

Developing the mental map is definitely the big part of the learning curve; with a traditional rig (a well laid out one anyway) signal flow is easy to follow and there's usual a dedicated knob or box per function. The payoff here are the seemingly endless routing and sculpting options available.

I finally watched this, and it's similar to what I do. I would like to add 1 thing though that will help many of you! I will SAVE/STORE quite a few times, my program as I'm writing it. I've learned the hard way if you get going to fast you can accidentally hit something wrong (i.e. the 'B' knob), and exit out and if you haven't stored it, it's gone. . SO typically as I add each effect in the chain I'll just re-Save it. I didn't see where that was mentioned, but I bet others of you do the same thing. The other thing I tend to do a little differently is assign/set my 1-8 footswitches 1 by 1 as I add something, as it's easier for me to activate/bypass something that way instead of the SHIFT-EDIT. Whatever works for you though :) Thanks Leon , you're the man!

Eric

Excellent advice, whether using the front panel or AX8 edit. Something I need to do more.

I see the AX8 UI cops a fair amount of flack, but to be fair it's not that much harder to setup a great sounding preset from the front panel than it is with AX8-Edit. Here's a quick and dirty Plexi patch demonstrating the ins and outs.

Great sounding presets!
How can I set the Amp output level different for different scenes? Example: Scene 1 is dry/rhythm and scene 2 is wet/lead=louder. And can I upload/buy presets already setup like that? If so where?

Back
Top Bottom