Creating a preset and I could use some help with this tone

Chrose1201

Inspired
Hey all. I play in a mostly southern rock cover band. A tone that is wide ranging for a lot of the material is the Dickie Betts type tone. This tone with go through the Abros, Marshall Tucker, ARS, etc. Attached are screen shots of my preset. It sounds pretty good so far, but is not really there. I am using it through a Les Paul. It was very fizzy sounding on my Strat. It really needs to be cleaner and smoothed out. I am hesitant to add too much to it as these players I am trying to nail here really had no effects, all guitar and amp. If I have the volume on the guitar (neck pup) it's pretty clean of course it gets grittier as the volume goes up, as anticipated. But still I would love any suggestions on how to get that tone that is smooth with the barest hint of bite but that sings with the volume up. All suggestions are welcome. Thanks. 1673813957936.png
1673813994328.png

For people to easily give their opinions, it's much better to attach the actual preset than show images of settings...

For people to easily give their opinions, it's much better to attach the actual preset than show images of settings...
Thanks U-G. I didn't realize. Attached then is the preset. Thanks! Still a wet behind the ears newbie! I'll get there. Hopefully this will help!

Attachments

• Dickie B Tone.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Interesting. I tried to make a new "clean" preset that I could use with the Eagles songs and other "clean-ish" songs and found this to be fairly versatile. Even seemed to work with Ramblin Man. For the solo in Ramblin Man though it felt like it could use just a hint more bite. I added an Enhancer but it seemed to boost the Reverb, making it sound like it was in a bucket, the Reverb is barely there as it is. Same with an OD pedal. I thought the TS808 could give me just a clean boost, but same thing with the sounding like it was in a bucket. I could stick with my original idea of using my Friedman Golden Pearl as a clean boost on the pedalboard which is what I do now. Take a listen, feel free to tweak and make it better :D.

Attachments

• All around clean Tone.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 2
As a general rule of thumb, there are a few tips you can make to any new preset:
  • Set the low and high cut frequencies to more closely match a guitar cab (start with a low cut of 75Hz and a high cut of 5500Hz and take it from there).
  • Monitor your preset gig volumes. This is a biggie and will help you better sculpt away harsh Strat frequencies. Generally you'll want to take out dirt, rather than put it in. At lower volumes, dirt fills things out beautifully. At higher volumes, it often gets in the way. For a Strat, don't be afraid to EQ out the harsh top end. It will still cut through.
  • Reverb is not your friend. I love reverb at home, but never live (let the hate begin). Make sure your 'environmentals' aren't drowning you out in a mix. If you are going to use reverb, also consider cutting the highs. I generally cut my delays off at 2500Hz or 3000Hz max. Lets you get a nice wet signal that doesn't step on itself or you.
  • Use the looper block to play a phrase so you can focus on tweaking. This is much more effective than play, adjust, play, adjust, play, adjust.
I'm just getting beyond the newbie phase. There are a bunch of heavy hitters in this forum who walk the walk and I'm sure have many more ideas. Biggest idea: Have fun.

I am sure there are many already plenty of stock presets that will be suitable for what you are looking for.
Try something with the "Buttery" "CA3+" and "Lonestar" amps.
Also I recommend Austin Buddy's preset packs which will save a lot of time and effort.
Good luck with your search

It was very fizzy sounding on my Strat. It really needs to be cleaner and smoothed out.
MV at 10 will be fizzy with any Strat in my experience. But for the FAS Buttery (the amp I love above all) I'd suggest Gain @3 and MV @5 if you are going for a clean sound. It won't be clean with your current settings, you are pushing it quite hard already.
Also, I'd lowered Input trim even further, to 0.5. Actually, try assigning this control to any of the Control Switches and use it to switch between 0.5 and 1. This might save you ton of other tweaking, an incredibly powerful trick.
And you can assign another Control Switch to Gain and MV in the same manner and have only one channel going gapelessly "from clean to mean" ( I have Gain and MV @7 for the "mean". Combine these two Switches in a few different scenes, compare, learn how to use it - and this amp will shine like a bright star with one channel only.

Back
Top Bottom