Create an IR that's just a simple filter/EQ curve

Lilarcor

Inspired
Hey guys,

not sure if that's the right place to post. I'm looking for a way to create an IR that's just a simple frequency filter or EQ curve, like a 4th or even higher order high cut filter at 5000 Hz for the start. Is there a way to create such a thing.
I'm afraid I'll have to use some external software to achieve this. But if it could be done by the Axe itself it'd be even better.
I've been experimenting with filters and EQs to emulate a cab and being able to apply everything at once by just selecting an IR in the cab block would be cool.

Disclaimer: I'm fully aware that I could just use filter and EQ blocks. That is what I'm doing right now. I'm looking for a way to simplify things and cut away those blocks.

Disclaimer: I'm fully aware that I could just use filter and EQ blocks. That is what I'm doing right now. I'm looking for a way to simplify things and cut away those blocks.
If you have access to a second unit, you could shoot an impulse response of just the filter block block in a preset in your unit.

You might be able to concot a path through the III using the second or third input/output pairs to shot an IR of just the filter block too. Might being the operative word here. In theory I can see a way to set this up, but I'm not sure if it's practically possible.

Good idea! I haven't sold my Axe Fx II yet. I could shoot an IR of a patch just applying filters. Some time ago I experimented with shooting IRs of the Axe Fx II with itself which didn't work out. But shooting an IR of the II with the III should work just fine.

But maybe there is also a software tool to create IRs out of the blue?

These IRs of an H&K Red Box are essentially pre-made filters of the type that you're after.

http://hughes-and-kettner.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Impulse_Response.zip

But there are ways to create a filter-based IR yourself.http://hughes-and-kettner.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Impulse_Response.zip
Basically, you'll need to set up one or two filters that accomplish the hi and lo cuts you want.
Then you'll need to do a Tone Match of those filters and then save that as a User IR.
But the Red Box IRs are easier.
There are IRs out there or the Palmer PDI too but I can't seem to find them right now.

All those cab emulation boxes also try to recreate the influence of the mic which is exactly what I don't want (tried IRs of the H&K and the Palmer box). Actually my "FRFR" cab (Matrix FR 212) sounds very cab-like with enough high cut. I'm just trying to bake this filtering into an IR. Thanks though!

I hope that as soon as Kemper releases their "Speaker Imprint" feature someone will shoot IRs of those "imprints" so that everyone can use these. Or maybe I'll do it myself if I can spare the bucks for a Kemper Profiler.

OK. Guess I'm not really sure what it is that you're trying to accomplish.

My guess is that the ads for those spkr emu pedals just say that they've got the sound of a mic baked in but how could they actually do that?
It's just a simple EQ filter.
Maybe they added a bit of top end to simulate a 57 but that's easy enough to defeat with more EQ.

It sounds like you're chasing the "amp in the room" or "cab in the room" thing.
Good luck with that.
It's been explained to me many times over the years why that is a dead end and I've come to believe it too although for years I refused to.

In my experience, the closest I've been able to get an FRFR cabinet to sound like a guitar cab sans mic was by using a couple of Filter Blocks for extreme hi and lo cuts (which, again, can be saved as a Tone Match or an IR I believe).
IRs sound better.
But good luck.

As far as the Kemper Speaker Imprint/Kab tech is concerned, I'll believe it when I hear it.

All I'm trying to do is cut the high end of my "FRFR" cab to guitar cab levels which makes a really big difference and sounds close to a very neutral guitar cab without all those mid frequency dips and bumps.
Those filter boxes try to recreate a close mic'ed cab which as has often been explained sounds nothing like a real cab. ;)

I would just use the Tone Match black to match your non-EQ'd sound to the EQ'd sound and then export the match result to an impulse response. The cool thing is you can just use the IR Player block to load it on the Axe-Fx III to save some processing power (if that's what you're using), otherwise you can just load it via the CAB block like normal.

I ended up hooking up my Axe FX 2 to shoot IRs of the Axe FX 3 with only a filter block. After I had done that I discovered that I could just use the cab block without an IR and crank the Air value with similar results.

If you have a daw you could just hook the Axe up spidf and record the preset with the filter applied to a track in your DAW and then just route the playback back out to the Axe to create a tone match, then save as IR.

If you have a daw you could just hook the Axe up spidf and record the preset with the filter applied to a track in your DAW and then just route the playback back out to the Axe to create a tone match, then save as IR.
That's over-complicated. You can just route INSIDE the Axe-Fx to accomplish the same thing.

Have you actually tried this? It would be great if this really worked. But some time ago I tried to shoot IRs of the Axe Fx 2 with the same unit and this didn't work out at all because the IR recording utility is independend and doesn't seem to have anything to do with the internal routing of a patch. As I said this was with the Axe Fx 2. It might be different with the 3.

Have you actually tried this? It would be great if this really worked. But some time ago I tried to shoot IRs of the Axe Fx 2 with the same unit and this didn't work out at all because the IR recording utility is independend and doesn't seem to have anything to do with the internal routing of a patch. As I said this was with the Axe Fx 2. It might be different with the 3.

I've done it on both the Axe-Fx II and the III multiple times.

Have your entire line of blocks with your EQing going into the Tone Match block.
Set the Tone Match to Block Input in the block settings for where the reference is going to come from.
Record reference.
Bypass your EQing blocks.
Record local.
Match.
Export to IR.

Back
Top Bottom