Crazy Train Solo

javajunkie

So last week I decided to learn the solo to Crazy Train. I am still working out playing it better but it is coming along. I was flipping though some patches and updating them to sound right on FW13 and I thought it would sound really good for this particular solo. It is a Orange RV model with an eternal love drive in front. Ithought the orange amp did a pretty good job here.

I play the solo 2x and panned them a bit to the left right, like it does on the recording.

Nice!

Most tone purists kind of poo poo Randy's studio tones, but the Santiago Altec IR really nails a big part of that tone... for better or worse :)

Nice job Sean! For Randys studio tone there is a lot of it coming from the double tracking phasing. Really hard to nail without it.

Nice job. My new years resolution was to learn to play this song at speed...still working on it:cry

javajunkie do you find the rhythm guitar part harder to play than the solo? I do!

I can't pedal 16th's at 138bpm with any smoothness. Randy makes that 16th note pedal riff sound effortless.

I made an ok attempt at this solo awile back and the hardest part for me was the last scalar run at the end of the solo I could never get that to flow right .

nice job JavaJunkie.

javajunkie do you find the rhythm guitar part harder to play than the solo? I do!

I can't pedal 16th's at 138bpm with any smoothness. Randy makes that 16th note pedal riff sound effortless.

Wow, this is a real pain point for me. Being self taught, I never learned proper technique and, while you'd think that the fret hand is where all of the precision comes from, it's actually a weak strum hand/technique that is far more limiting. If anyone knows of a good video for strum hand/technique, I could sure use one. I'm trying to play a lot more funk-type music now and it is exposing my weakness badly.

...the hardest part for me was the last scalar run at the end of the solo I could never get that to flow right .
^^^ This.

Getting that run with any kind of smoothness is a real trick. I haven' managed to get it as smooth as Sean's version.

Good job! I did a video lesson of this solo for those who are interested.

Start the video at 5:22 for the main guitar solo lesson.

Dave Z

We've had that song in our set list for a while now. The problem with such an iconic solo is that if you mess with it even a little bit people get very fussy. Your version sounds awesome!

Back
Top Bottom