Crazy loud hiss in 4CM

Maybe I missed it why you're doing it like this, I don't think the load box is meant to be used this way.

Proper 4CM setup is ->
-Guitar to FM3 input
-output from FM3 to front of amp
-Loop send back to FM3
-FM3 back to loop return

The load box should be used standalone from the output of the amp in place of a speaker cabinet.
You must 100% use a loadbox if you want to use your amp with the pre and post effects of the FM3.

I use the line out of my load boxes back into daw/studio monitors - works fine - but, if you take load box line out into Axfx and then go back out to amp return, you'll get a feedback loop that sounds just like the clip posted (because of doubled signal thru amp power section). It's unclear where the signals going after fm3 out. ??
That's not what I do, I go FM3 (for pre effects) Amp, Load Box, FM3 for Cab Sim and Post Effects>DAW

Did you buy them or make them? if you made them, are you positive that you did it correctly?

Ground loops and related problems can be devilish to track down. It sounds like you could use the services of a professional rig builder. Where do you live?

I might order some new ones just in case, but I have no noise at all if I go from amp Send back to the FM3, rather than Load Box to FM3. The problem is that I lose the Power Amp this way. I think the Suhr loadbox might be the problem here. I'm in South Florida. Thank you!

That's not what I do, I go FM3 (for pre effects) Amp, Load Box, FM3 for Cab Sim and Post Effects>DAW
using usb? is the fm3 output plugged into anything?, or is anything going back into to the amps return? (any signal back into the reture that originated from the loadbox line out causes feedback noise here).

Last edited:
The amp is expecting guitar level, so make sure you'e not feeding it line level from the FM3.

The FM3 should be set to accept line level from the load box I'm guessing, not guitar level (double check the Suhr manual to be sure).
I'm at unity Gain, and I have no issues at all when I go Guitar>Amp>Load Box>FM3. I only have issues in 4CM...

Being sure that the FM3 -> Amp i s set for guitar level on the FM3 (the same level as a guitar plugged straight into the amp, of a little more for a boost etc), and the Load Box -> FM3, the FM3 is set for whatever the Suhr sends (likely Line Level, but check the manual etc).

This. Load box has no reason to be in the mix

It does if you want to add FX from the FM3 after the power amp of the real amp (for example, as is often done in w/d/w rigs). That’s just one option and may not be the best, but it is different from feeding the ‘post-preamp FX chain’ of the FM3 from an FX send.

Reactions: JTI
It does if you want to add FX from the FM3 after the power amp of the real amp (for example, as is often done in w/d/w rigs). That’s just one option and may not be the best, but it is different from feeding the ‘post-preamp FX chain’ of the FM3 from an FX send.
Agreed but without a guitar cabinet and feeding everything through IRs through whatever monitoring solution; I'd wager that using the tube amp becomes completely pointless versus using the dumptruck of great sounding modeled amps in the FM3.

You must 100% use a loadbox if you want to use your amp with the pre and post effects of the FM3. There is no other way of doing this.
You can feed the post FX from the FX send of the amp. It’s different from feeding it from the load box, but it’s still a way to use ‘post FX’ - they are just ‘post preamp’ instead of ‘post preamp and power amp’.

Agreed but without a guitar cabinet and feeding everything through IRs through whatever monitoring solution; I'd wager that using the tube amp becomes completely pointless versus using the dumptruck of great sounding modeled amps in the FM3.
I thought the whole point of the Suhr load box was to add IRs (in lieu of an actual cab)??

He’s trying to use his amp and then add FM3 IRs for cab emulation. He HAS to use the load box in this case.
I would get rid of it and use the FM3 amp models, but I understand what he’s trying to do.

This isn’t helpful, but this is why I don’t use the FM3 for 4CM. I came from using a HX Stomp as well and, for many reasons, the HX Stomp is, IMO, the better tool for the 4CM job. I use my fm3 direct and it sounds phenomenal, but I had your issue and then some trying to go 4CM,

Reactions: JTI
Back
Top Bottom