Crazy Awesome Picking Dynamics - FW 11 - Friedman BE

Sean Ashe

Power User
FW 11 has really put a smile on my face. From this clip, you can see why. I used ONLY my pick, no volume knob trickery or gain set to an expression pedal etc.

Using the 2nd position of my Ibanez RT650 (inside bridge coil and middle coil) using Bareknuckle pickups black dog bridge and irish tour middle. The amp model is the friedman BE with fairly stock settings, and several basketweave tv IRs from the fractal cab pack

Nice demo of the dynamics is FW11!
But what's that annoying "2nd distortion" in the louder clips?
Something is pushed too hard imo

What? There are no louder clips, this is one clip. If anything you're hearing the overtones distort, which is rad to me at least :p Gain was at noon, i have fairly low output pickups, just powertube saturation!

Thanks guys, although I can't say there is any clipping as my axe fx didn't show it, nor Logic Pro X's output. it's possible its because of soundcloud compressing the file though.

Sorry,I used the wrong words, I mean some (in my ears annoying) crackle, clipping sound in the louder parts specially heard when the saturation fades out.
f.e. at 0:14, 0:24, 0:32

Anyway the demo gives a very nice example of the beautiful dynamics and saturation.

Sorry,I used the wrong words, I mean some (in my ears annoying) crackle, clipping sound in the louder parts specially heard when the saturation fades out.
f.e. at 0:14, 0:24, 0:32

Anyway the demo gives a very nice example of the beautiful dynamics and saturation.

I can see what you mean, that's really just the 'tubes' saturating. It's amazing the Axe emulates this characteristic so precisely \m/

Last edited:
Sounds like power tube clipping and is exactly like what a pushed Marshall-style amp sounds like.
Well what can I say, I cannot deny the amp that rocked so many years but it's just not my taste that clipping sound.
That leaves a beautiful dynamics in FW 11, what was this thread for in the first place!

he could easily turn down the master volume to clear that "clipping." it's amazing the axe replicates it though.

This has to be the most poetic description of unwanted distortion I've ever heard.

It's not unwanted though, it's totally welcome! The fact I'm getting this amount of dynamic range allows me to control all aspects of the sound, and it wont hide any of my mistakes or inflections. Also I bet it wouldn't be audible in a mix ;)

Back
Top Bottom