"Crash" sound/distortion on attack

I find that 10s sound better (Subjective word, but to me fuller and more harmonically rich = better) and yes with higher action you don't get much buzz, i set all my guitars at a fairly medium action and just make sure my frets are crowned and dressed properly. no buzz, and great sound :)

Ultra-low action is very overrated.

Tangenitally...what IS "ultra-low action"?

I know how I set up my guitars, in terms of neck relief and string height at (insert fret here, I use 12th), so I have numbers. But there's no "rule" that says "lower than X is low, higher than Y is high, and lower than Z is ultra-low".

The lowest I've seen factory setup guides recommend is about 4/64" at the 12th fret (about 1.5mm for our non-USians). Erlewine's setup books have a section where he measures the action on some pros' guitars, and IIRC Jeff Beck had the lowest - again IIRC 4/64" on the low side and maybe 3/64" or 3.5/64" on the treble. I think any lower than that and you'd have to play with a really light touch to avoid buzz.

"All the Pro's use heavy strings and high action" - sorry mate, but that's codswallop and a bloody reckless statement, especially coming from the head of this Forum. Just because the Axe is a great tool does not mean that we are delegated to letting stuff like that get by us un-challenged, walking on tippy toe.

There is only ONE rule when it comes to "Pro's" and tone, as you and Radley have mentioned, and maybe others are reluctant to mention, which is to use whatever suits you, just as the "Pro's" do. 8's or 13's, it makes little difference to the sound, but a BIG difference to how you and I feel about what we do.

And if we are not having fun, why bother?

BTW, AdmiralB, I love that you did the PAF experiment! More power to you.

Cheers,
Mo.

tas meao fuera'l tiesto, chulo.

8s have always sounded thin to me. I've heard them side by side on two of the same guitars (strat) in a music shop I used to work at back in the 80s.

I'm not at a place now where I can try things, will be in a few hours

But now you're heading towards "why would you want to do that" territory. Does it matter?

Something in the power amp can't handle large amounts of treble. I want to know how to fix it.

Because there are limitations to all things, including digital modelling. If your pushing the treble into the extremes because your cab IR is too dark your are going to get undesired results.

Back
Top Bottom