1. We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

"Crash" sound/distortion on attack

Discussion in 'Axe-Fx II Discussion' started by AdmiralB, May 12, 2013.

1. FractalAudio

FractalAudio
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Fractal Audio Systems Moderator

Isolation means in a booth with you in the control room. When the amp is in the room with you you don't hear the pick transient distorting for a variety of reasons, the most important being that you are not listening the same way a mic hears the speaker. You are typically off-axis and not two inches away from the cone.

High output pickups have less high frequency response. Clipping is amplitude dependent. A guitar amp boosts high frequencies therefore those clip first.

Swedish Chef likes this.
  2. #42 666was999, May 13, 2013
    Last edited: May 13, 2013
    666was999

666was999
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Sounds pretty much like strings hitting the frets.
    I guess your guitar is passive, no almost empty battery inside it?

So another question is why you don't have that nasty sound with other gear.
    My guess (besides checking the frets, checking how straight or bent the neck is and checking the hight of the bridge and the trem):
    Turn your system loud enough so you don't need to pick that hard. With a real twin cranked all up you would never dare to pick that hard, right? :)

I've been once running into a similar problem. Our female singers didn't wanted the guitars to be too loud in the rehearse (chickas, you know), so we both, the other player and I, turned our volume down.
    The one with the real amp got the problem that his amp didn't sound good anymore so low.
    My Axe-Fx still sounded good...but I noticed that I startet to pick and act different. Playing and volume depends on each other somehow.

3. jw3571

jw3571
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

I'm getting something similiar that I posted a few weeks ago. I'm getting when gain is down once the distortion is increased you can't hear it anymore. Some people thought it was digital distortion, i've tried the things that were suggested but I'm still getting the noise.

4. shemihazazel

shemihazazel
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

First, people missed the "Crack". Now, people want less "Crash". <<<FACEPALM>>>

5. Swedish Chef

Swedish Chef
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Admiral, post the patches you have this issue with...

6. maschoff

maschoff
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

@AdmiralB: I have a strat with pretty low action that exhibited this issue. I recently changed to Cobalt strings and the issue became even more noticeable.

7. AdmiralB

AdmiralB
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

I will post a couple when I'm back home. And I will mic up the Super and record it, to test Cliff's theory.

8. grape

grape
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I don't think this is the same issue. The "crack" debate was about the pick attack and resulted in the dynamics settings in the AxeFX. Since it's adjustable, people who missed it have it and those that don't dial it out.

The "crash" issue has to do with edge of break up in the power amp.

9. erockomania

erockomania
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Try moving the virtual mic further away from the virtual cab in the cab block.

10. shemihazazel

shemihazazel
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

It was a joke. This doesn't sound like a power amp issue at all. It sounds like lousy guitar action.

11. AdmiralB

AdmiralB
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Doesn't matter if there's a mic or not. However, I just tried it with a mic, and distance has no effect.

12. AdmiralB

AdmiralB
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Here are a couple patches. One is the factory Double Verb patch with no changes other than bright on, treble and bass up.

The other is based on an HBE with very low drive (about 1.6) and master (about 3.4).

Attached Files:

13. AdmiralB

AdmiralB
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Kinda does. But it isn't.

14. tomc3084

tomc3084
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Yeah, I have this issue and I use cobalt strings. My action is pretty low though.

15. joegold

joegold
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

I used to get that same sound with my Triaxis on the Lead 1 channels; Green, Yellow and Red.
    I guess it has to do with the the gain staging in some types of preamp designs.
    The clean channels and the Lead 2 channels did not do the same thing.
    Seems to be related to certain types of mid-gain type circuits.
    Try a different amp sim.

16. AdmiralB

AdmiralB
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

I fired up the Super and miced it, and long story somewhat less long, Cliff's right - the real amp does do it too.

With the caveat that the real amp had to be a lot louder than the patch - the amp didn't do it until '5' on the volume, and the Axe will do it as low as about 1.5.

But otherwise, yes, it's a real artifact. Couldn't test the AC-30 as its owner already took it back. But I see no reason to doubt that the results there would be similar.

Odd that none of my other (admittedly older, and cheaper) modelers do this, but I reckon - like the ghost notes that Line 6 used to model - that's part of the detail.

On a tangent, it sure brought back (bad) memories of what a hassle micing/moving/recording/moving/micing/recording, repeat ad nauseum is.

17. FractalAudio

FractalAudio
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Fractal Audio Systems Moderator

The Super Reverb model is "Diaz Modded". IOW, I pulled V1. This gives the amp a lot more gain so it's not surprising you're getting breakup at around 1.5. You can un-mod the model by turning down the MV Trim to around 0.5.

austinbuddy and Morphosis like this.
  18. AdmiralB

AdmiralB
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Actually I was comparing to the Double Verb model. While we're in full disclosure mode, the Super I'm using is in a head cab and I'm driving a pair of 12s with it. But the notion still carries, no two amps are the same, tapers vary, and so on.

19. SarasotaSwing

SarasotaSwing
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Well that explains a number of things. Good to know.

20. grape

grape
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Ok. I didn't catch the joke. It does sound like power amp distortion (bad) to me and it sounds like Cliff is saying it is and that amps do it as well. Knowing this, I'll have to try much lower gain settings than I'm used to... or play with eq before the power amp to limit the high frequency content before it distorts.