"Crappy mode"

Mae

Hi, I have a strange problem (or better still: AX8 behaves strangely). I select a preset (e.g. Brownface or Double Verb in bank I). It sounds wonderful but after playing for a few minutes the sound suddenly becomes crappy. As soon as I select the preset again on the AX8 I get a sweet sound.

I have selected factory reset on the AX8 and installed the latest firmware but it doesn't solve the problem.
Any suggestions?

Using a powered monitor? Just had this same issue (more or less), ended up the monitor needed service (it's at the shop now, waiting to hear what the exact problem is). If you are using a monitor, switch over to a set of headphones (or another monitor, or if using a power amp and passive monitor try another power amp as well) and see if the problem persists.

Did you isolate the problem to the AX8, ie. did you try another guitar, other patch cables, etc.?

Edit: Active pickups with low batteries?
Did you isolate the problem to the AX8, ie. did you try another guitar, other patch cables, etc.?

Edit: Active pickups with low batteries?

I have now tried another guitar (I'm using new cables). Same results.

Using a powered monitor? Just had this same issue (more or less), ended up the monitor needed service (it's at the shop now, waiting to hear what the exact problem is). If you are using a monitor, switch over to a set of headphones (or another monitor, or if using a power amp and passive monitor try another power amp as well) and see if the problem persists.
I'm using a powered monitor. I will check a set of headphones. But if the monitor is to blame I doubt that I would get a sweet sound by simply pressing F1 and selecting the same scene again. It always temporarily "fixes" the problem.

I have now tried another guitar (I'm using new cables). Same results.

Did you try different cables or do you mean you are using brand new cables? If you're using the same cables and they're new, the cables could still have a an issue with them, like a cold solder joint at one of the jacks. Just trying to eliminate as many variables as possible.

Any suggestions?

What FW version?
If it IS NOT Q6.02, update and update the Factory Presets.
http://www.fractalaudio.com/firmware-presets.php
http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/ax8/6.0/ax8_6p02.zip
http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/ax8/6.0/AX8-Factory-Preset-Banks-6p02.zip

Any peripherals plugged into the back (switches, exp pedals, etc.)?

What are you monitoring with? Do you have another way of referencing? Tried 1/4" and XLR?

Did you try different cables or do you mean you are using brand new cables? If you're using the same cables and they're new, the cables could still have a an issue with them, like a cold solder joint at one of the jacks. Just trying to eliminate as many variables as possible.
I will double check.

Sounds like crap. Harsh, hollow...
Harsh as in too much high end? Too much distortion? Or...?

Hollow as in too much mids, or something else?

It would help if you'd post a before-and-after clip.

Reactions: Mae
I've changed cables, guitars. I'm using the latest firmware (6.02). Done factory reset.
The edit light doesn't blink when the sound changes. It changes after 30 seconds
of playing, 3 minutes, 4 minues. Time seems to be irrelevant - but usually the error
occurs within 4 minutes.

Is it possibly some program change? I will try to include a sound example tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom