Crackling in pro tools 11 when reamping axe fx

boltrecords

Fractal Fanatic
I've been recording tracks with the axe fx II into pro tools 11. Even with the buffer in pro tools set at 1024 samples, eventually you'll start to hear crackling that slowly gets louder and louder until eventually the whole track sounds like it overloading. Then I have to change to another buffer rate and its fine. Then it happens again

Anyone have any idea why this is happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Are you using a 48kHz sample rate? I've heard something like what you describe if the sample rates don't match and the sample rate conversion isn't working somewhere in the recording chain. The Axe is fixed at 48kHz.

Yes it is set at 48. I made sure to make that the standard in my template.

Avid forum members are telling me I have to reamp using analog ins and outs and that the axe fx as an interface is the problem when I try and set up an aggregate device.

Yes, using it as an aggregate device could definitely be a problem. Maybe it would work ok if just using the Axe-FX as the device rather than an aggregate configuration?

Then I would have to use the axefx as my play Back device. Would have to then hook my monitors to the axe. Seems like a big pain in the ass to record guitar tracks and reamp. Unless I'm missing something.

I haven't done tons of re-amping, but I've not had issues using the Axe in an aggregate configuration. I have my Mac Digital output and Axe-FX linked together, both set to use the Axe as the clock source at 48kHz. I've been using this with Logic Pro X and haven't heard glitchy audio.

When you say it slowly builds to an overload, how long does it take? Is it possible there is a signal loop somewhere?

I haven't done tons of re-amping, but I've not had issues using the Axe in an aggregate configuration. I have my Mac Digital output and Axe-FX linked together, both set to use the Axe as the clock source at 48kHz. I've been using this with Logic Pro X and haven't heard glitchy audio.

When you say it slowly builds to an overload, how long does it take? Is it possible there is a signal loop somewhere?

Happens over maybe 30 seconds.

Would you mind explaining how you use the digital outs? Is this the spdif in the axe?

Yes, using analog is probably easier than switching back and forth between audio devices.

Some macs have a digital audio output on the 1/8 inch headphone output. Maybe fractalz is referring to that?

Would you mind explaining how you use the digital outs? Is this the spdif in the axe?

Sure. I'm using a USB connection to the Axe to access the 4x2 channels of audio. On the Mac, I have aggregated the Axe USB Audio with the Mac Built-In Digital Output and go out the toslink output on the rear of the Mac Pro to a Presonus Central Station for monitoring. In Audio Midi Setup, both the Axe interface and Digital Output are set to 48kHz with the Axe-FX as the clock source. I've used this setup for quite a while without glitching issues.

In another configuration, I have the SPDIF of the Axe going in/out of a UA Apollo Quad with the USB to the Axe being used only for Axe-Edit. In that case, I have to make sure everything is running at 48kHz and use the Apollo as the clock source (even though the Axe manual says the Axe should be the master). I think when using SPDIF *in* to the Axe it needs to be a slave. If you only have SPDIF *out* of the Axe it can be the master (since it won't see a clock on SPDIF IN).

So, in this config, I go Logic -> UA Apollo SPDIF OUT -> Axe SPDIF IN (as Main Input) -> GRID -> Axe SPDIF OUT (as Output 1) -> UA Apollo SPDIF IN -> Logic

I'm monitoring directly from the Analog outputs of the UA Apollo. Are any of these setups similar to yours?

BTW, there was a separate discussion about latency when re-amping and I discovered that the SPDIF route was very low latency compared to re-amping through USB, so I've been preferring the SPDIF setup to the USB one.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/90362-strange-reamping-latency-issue.html

I just picked up a Scarlett 6i6. Hopefully it's possible to reamp through spdif to the interface.

Yes, that should work. Set the Main Input on the Axe to SPDIF in I/O > Audio and USB/DIGI Output Source to Output 1. Then connect SPDIF In/Out between the 6i6 and the Axe and make sure the 6i6 is using its internal clock and not the clock it sees on SPDIF IN. Good luck!

Ok. I set it all up. I put the axe to spdif. It says "no input clock" on the screen of the axe. Is this normal? In the hardware setup of the 6i6 I have clock source set to internal.

Couple questions.

How do I get the dry signal to pro tools through spdif?

What do I set the input and output source to for the dry track and reamp track?

Do I still set the axefx to "analog in" when recording the wet and dry track to pro tools? And then switch to spdif for reamping?

Last edited:
I'm not using Pro Tools so I don't know the exact settings within that app, but here's how I set up the Axe for use with Logic Pro X.

For recording:

AXE : I/O > Audio > Main Input Source = Analog (In 1)
AXE : I/O > Audio > USB/DIGI Out Source = Input
DAW : dry track input = SPDIF IN
Audio Interface : Clock Source = SPDIF IN (from the Axe)

This will send the guitar input directly to SPDIF OUT. You could also attach your analog Output 1 signal to the interface analog inputs and record/monitor the wet signal.

For re-amping:

AXE : I/O > Audio > Main Input Source > SPDIF/AES
AXE : I/O > Audio > USB/DIGI Out Source = Output 1
DAW : dry track output = SPDIF OUT (unarm record to avoid feedback!)
DAW : re-amp track input = SPDIF IN
Audio Interface : Clock Source = Internal

This will send the SPDIF Input through the patch and have it appear at SPDIF Out as Output 1.

In both cases (initial recording and re-amping) your tracks will have the same input (SPDIF IN). Watch for a loop on the dry track, if it is record-enabled when you re-amp it may feed back on itself.

Hopefully this helps. It is a bit of a pain to change all of these I/O settings. Sure would be nice to have this accessible via Axe-Edit and/or have I/O "scenes":

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-e...modify-input-output-routing-via-axe-edit.html

Thanks for the detailed info.

Couple issues I'm having still. When I record the dry track I'm hearing little clicks and pops during playback of the dry track.

Is the "NO INPUT CLOCK" staying on the screen or is it just there momentarily? I see it for a second and then it goes away when I switch the input to SPDIF.

When you record the dry track, you will want to set the 6i6 to use the Axe as the clock source. The AXE is generating the output so it needs to be the master clock.

When you re-amp the dry track, it gets reversed (6i6 is the master since it is sending audio to the Axe).

At least, that is how it works for me with the UA Apollo.

I'm over in the KKM chat if you want to try working on this over there: KKM Chat | Katsu Kuri Media Blog

Back
Top Bottom