• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Wish CPU upgrade

Starfighter

Experienced
Searched for this, but didn´t find any wishes for a CPU upgrade on the forum - I apologize if this has already been discussed.

With ever better firmware, more amps, effects and cabs available - and with the grid on the Axe FX crying to me "fill me up!" - I more often run into CPU overload. On a few of my go-to-presets, this is a problem when using the Axe FX as an audio interface at the same time playing backing tracks from my computer - which I very often do. I remove the second amp-block, change cabs to mono low-res, try to peel off an effect block here and there, but I still find that I run into this more than I like. Anyone else?

I think this is an unnecessary limitation really - the hardware should be able to keep up with the software, and we should be able to exploit the full potential of this superb product.

If at all technically possible, my wish is for an option to upgrade the Axe FX CPU (DIY-kit preferably) - so we can enjoy the full potential of Cliff´s genius! :)

I've only had my Axe-FX II for 4 months, but I haven't hit the CPU barrier once. Even my most pretentious and excessively wanky patches are only at about 80%. You must have some very intensive patches to be requesting more power from the most powerful machine on the market. ;) I've found that the only thing limiting me from unlocking the full potential of the unit is my own lack of imagination, so I don't personally think that the Axe-FX II needs any more CPU power in its current software state, but I shan't devalidate your opinions. ;)

sam

Experienced
More CPU would be great. I'm guessing axe-fx III will eventually bump up the processing power.

Some of us use these as live tools and we like to use multiple amp, cab, drive, delay, plus a bunch of other effects. It's kind of like having a couple of amps and a decent sized pedalboard all in one preset. That way I can use one preset for the whole gig. The problem is that you can easily run out of CPU when you do this.

smcrosby

Power User
:lol

As Sgt. Schultz would say, "I know Nahtink, I see Nahtink, I hear nahtink!" :)

But, I believe a CPU hardware upgrade would be = to an AXE FX III ;)

Severed

Power User
I've only had my Axe-FX II for 4 months, but I haven't hit the CPU barrier once. Even my most pretentious and excessively wanky patches are only at about 80%. You must have some very intensive patches to be requesting more power from the most powerful machine on the market. ;) I've found that the only thing limiting me from unlocking the full potential of the unit is my own lack of imagination, so I don't personally think that the Axe-FX II needs any more CPU power in its current software state, but I shan't devalidate your opinions. ;)
My preset for Metallica's Fade to Black, I use 2 amps, 2 stereo cabs, 1 wah, 1 comp, 1 drive, 1 pitch, 2 PEQ, 1GEQ, 1 chorus, 1 delay, and 1 reverb. I use 2 stereo cabs to blend 4 IRs.

It's at 89% - 92%. I cannot use USB with this patch as it goes into overload.

I use all 8 scenes and play all the parts and solos.

This is just one of about 50 presets that hit the CPU ceiling.

The ability to do this is one if the main reasons I bought the Axe FX II and I too wished for CPU upgrade a few times since coming on board.

It won't happen though.

Rex

Legend!
Upgrading the CPU is a lovely idea, but a bit problematic.

The CPUs are soldered into the board. If I recall correctly from my last trip inside, it's not a job that can be done by hand. You'd have to replace the entire board, which accounts for the majority of the cost of the entire box

And what would you upgrade to? The CPUs are already the chip manufacturer's top-of-the-line product.

jeppekristoffer

Power User
My preset for Metallica's Fade to Black, I use 2 amps, 2 stereo cabs, 1 wah, 1 comp, 1 drive, 1 pitch, 2 PEQ, 1GEQ, 1 chorus, 1 delay, and 1 reverb. I use 2 stereo cabs to blend 4 IRs.

The ability to do this is one if the main reasons I bought the Axe FX II and I too wished for CPU upgrade a few times since coming on board.

It won't happen though.

Depending on your choice of cabs/IRs you could always use CabLab to mix them down to a Mono Cab and use the low res mode. Or you could tonematch the Cab and export to another Cab that you use in low res mode.

But yes I also would like to have more CPU power.

jeppekristoffer

Power User
Upgrading the CPU is a lovely idea, but a bit problematic.

The CPUs are soldered into the board. If I recall correctly from my last trip inside, it's not a job that can be done by hand. You'd have to replace the entire board, which accounts for the majority of the cost of the entire box

And what would you upgrade to? The CPUs are already the chip manufacturer's top-of-the-line product.
4 chips of the same CPUs?

rsf1977_again

Power User
Im sure the axefx III will have more power. It would be lovely to have dual amps both running in high res mode. When that day comes ill be grinning but it doesn’t concern me at this point in time.

Severed

Power User
Depending on your choice of cabs/IRs you could always use CabLab to mix them down to a Mono Cab and use the low res mode. Or you could tonematch the Cab and export to another Cab that you use in low res mode.

But yes I also would like to have more CPU power.
I don't own cab lab, and I thought it only works for 3rd party IRs anyways, not the factory ones in the Axe FX II, that's why I never bought it.

yek

It won't happen though.
The point is there are ways to decrease CPU usage, Cab-Lab being one of them.

Amp XY instead of 2 Amp blocks
Pedal Comp instead of Studio Comp
Consolidating EQs
Less Reverb Density.

Severed

Power User
The point is there are ways to decrease CPU usage, Cab-Lab being one of them.

Amp XY instead of 2 Amp blocks
Pedal Comp instead of Studio Comp
Consolidating EQs
Less Reverb Density.
Yes I understand and know how all this works, but I think you guys are taking my post out of context as it was a reply to StevenMcNulty about his views on not needing more CPU. Additionally, while I appreciate the advice, my preset is fine and none of the suggestions are applicable to my preset, and I'd be happy to get into with you in PM's if you really must know why.

Let's keep the thread on topic instead.

Zwiebelchen

Fractal Fanatic
Hmm... I never thought it would actually come to this, but I agree: the power of the Axe CPU is currently very limiting.

I'm using lores cabs and workarounds more and more to save CPU. I recently removed most of my reverbs in my patches to bring the CPU usage down, as I feel I don't need them live and could not remove any other blocks.
Don't get me wrong: the CPU is enough for most applications, but the more sophisticated your patches become over time, the more you will hit the limit.

I think the major contribution to the increased CPU load on all my presets are the modifiers. I use so much modifiers nowadays; LFOs, external controls, etc. ... it bloated up my presets by at least 10%.

Then again, this issue is only present because I use scenes, not presets. I could probably reduce the CPU cost if I need to just by switching back to using multiple presets per song instead of just one.

shasha

Fractal Fanatic
It'd be a completely new product. The DSP's that are in there are already the most powerful available. There are some that have faster clocks, but they have less throughput than the TigerSHARC. So you'd basically have to have a new DSP designed or add more than two to the design. Heat, latency, not to mention cost.

I have no doubt that eventually as technology advances, but if you are talking about the AxeFXII there isn't anything that you can do to change it beyond working on your patches.

Top Bottom