Wish CPU Load Balancing / Dual CPU Meters

sprint

Axe-Master
- Ability to allocate/balance amp blocks across Cpus (1 amp block per Cpu in a dual amp preset) to help avoid possibly overloading Cpu1 particularly when using several controllers in a dual amp preset).

- Ability to monitor Cpu usage on both Cpus as opposed to just on Cpu2 as in the current design.

Last edited:
Reactions: AZG
Is this the way the III actually works? I knew this is how the FM3 and some of the older units work, but I’m not familiar with the design of the III? If this is true I could see some super power users really appreciating the greater flexibility of loading more effects, especially if using only one amp block.

Is this the way the III actually works? I knew this is how the FM3 and some of the older units work, but I’m not familiar with the design of the III? If this is true I could see some super power users really appreciating the greater flexibility of loading more effects, especially if using only one amp block.
Can't be 100% sure this is the way it works but all evidence points this way: IE - you will notice that if you add a 2nd amp block and/or increase amp block processing (i.e. use output compression in amp block), the CPU reading you see will stay the same and not be impacted since that CPU reading only relates to the 2nd CPU which is not used by amp blocks and system functions (these functions use the 1st CPU whose usage status is not visible). The trouble I'm having is that I want to use Axe3 for dual parallel amps and a moderate number of controllers - given the amps / amp parameters / and controllers I'm using, I can't do it without cpu clipping starting to show itself (the odd click and pop presumably due to high usage on cpu1 with dual amps and only 3 or 4 controllers). My CPU status reading is very low though (the one we can see: CPU1) since I'm not using many fx, or only outboard fx which only use CPU2. Allowing for some balancing between CPU1/2 (and having status visibility on CPU2) would help resolve this type of bottleneck and allow for more flexible usage. Helix uses a routing method to facilitate this (blocks on a separate path utilize the alternate CPU) - though Helix needs this type type of function for survival since it's total CPU capability is much lower than Axe3, Axe3 could still benefit from such an option particularly for those running dual amp blocks (probably not a super common requirement, but not super uncommon either). There are lots of scenarios where cpu clipping won't occur with dual amp blocks, but, from the testing I've done it appears to start when using dual amp blocks for certain amp selections with lots of amp parameters used (i.e. output compression, eq ...), and with a few expression controllers thrown in. The CPU clipping is not dramatic - just the odd pop or click here and there start to show up, but enough to suggest that CPU1 is running too hot. At one point I thought maybe my Axefx was malfunctioning, but I don't think so as it's operating flawlessly outside of this usage scenario.

Attached is an example that clips a lot for me when I'm connected to AxeEdit.

Attachments

• AMPSIDE-CPU-CLIPPING.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
For those of us who seldom use more than one amp block in a preset, we are leaving 50% or more of one DSP core unused. It would be nice to be able to use that resource for other things than just amp blocks. It's one area I've got to give Line 6 credit. Being able to freely assign amps and effects to each DSP core until you hit their max is useful, especially with systems with less resources like the FM3 and Helix.

With the extremely fast scene, channel and preset switching speeds of firmware 12.01+, this request makes more sense than ever. A lot of users won’t need dual amp blocks most of the time when scenes and channel channel changes are nearly instantaneous. Why not let the truly adventurous power users load this to the max with effects and see what they can create with it?

I ran into this issue again today. I have a kitchen sink preset with a single amp/cab and a full pedalboard of effects. Sadly I would like to add a looper but I can’t, but I can add another amp block without issue. It would be nice to be able to tap into some of that extra DSP resource when only using one amp block.

Back
Top Bottom