CPU Limit issues

rockhopr

I recently recieved the FM3 and noticed on quite a few factory presets the CPU overloads and shuts down the sound. I've checked the forum and it doesn't appear that anyone else is having an issue with this. I know that reverb and delays use up more of the cpu and I've tried shutting them off on the presets that I'm having an issue with. Nothing seems to help on those affected presets. I've updated the unit and still nothing helps. I'm hoping it's just a setting that needs to be changed.

Yes, there are some factory presets that MAX cpu currently.
Most likely revised ones will appear at some point.

It seems counterintuitive that factory presets are not playable without hitting CPU limits. Why would they even be included if you can't play them? That would mean that nobody has ever played them with the present firmware revision. Were they once playable on some pre-release version?

It seems counterintuitive that factory presets are not playable without hitting CPU limits. Why would they even be included if you can't play them? That would mean that nobody has ever played them with the present firmware revision. Were they once playable on some pre-release version?

Probably ported from Axe Fx III?

A lot of blocks have gotten updated to be on par with the Axe-Fx 3. These updated blocks are using more CPU than they were originally.

I agree...its probably the new goodness in the revised blocks.
Presets just need tweaked is all.

The factory presets were tested extensively before they were released. Since then, the firmware has been updated — and blocks improved — several times. This has driven some of the presets into CPU overload. That will be addressed in the next release of factory presets.

This is not universal. My friend is experiencing problems when he switches to a preset it flashes a CPU usage warning.

I am on the same firmware as him and cannot reproduce the problem. All my factory presets max out at 83-84% cpu and don’t complain at all

This is not universal. My friend is experiencing problems when he switches to a preset it flashes a CPU usage warning.

I am on the same firmware as him and cannot reproduce the problem. All my factory presets max out at 83-84% cpu and don’t complain at all
83-84% is right on the edge. When you're driving with one tire right on the edge of the cliff, is not unusual to occasionally drive off the cliff. :)

i think the reality is as things continue to improve and get better we are going to see more CPU required
the new phase and flange blocks use more
i suspect the latest comp and pitch stuff in the 3 will increase
and I am sure when the cab block Ultrares capability is there that will hit the CPU
the price of progress

Is it still true that modifiers add a bit to cpu usage?

I see improvements as a 2-way street: some will require more cpu, but others may lower it due to efficiency and/or Cliff having epiphanies ;-)

On the one hand, it’s good to see the blocks improving, yet CPU capacity remains static. So “progress” is actually going to limit what we can do even further. Can they optimize the code to mitigate the CPU hit of these improvements?

It’s a good question......I often wonder how much the interface FM3 Edit is eating ........

On the one hand, it’s good to see the blocks improving, yet CPU capacity remains static. So “progress” is actually going to limit what we can do even further. Can they optimize the code to mitigate the CPU hit of these improvements?

time will tell but yes it is the price of progress
would you rather have Ultrares ir?
faster channel and presets switching?
better pitch shifting ?

these things will likely increase CPU slightly
the only thing i have noticed is I had a kitchen sink preset and with the new
flangers phasers it pushed it just right to the limit so to be safe i had to remove a block

Back
Top Bottom