CPU limit issue

chrisjnyc

Power User
Anyone seen this one? I have a preset with a number of fx going (flanger, delay, verb, etc). I think the CPU was running at 82%... at sound check it it is fine, and I turn on the tuner to take off the guitar and the CPU limit reached error pops on, and the reverb is disabled. I switch to another preset and back to the same preset, and it is fine again.

This is a common topic here.
Reverb is one of the most cpu intensive blocks.
You may want to see if the spring reverb type can work for your needs. Or try lowering your echo density on your reverb block.

Keep in mind that CPU level is unaffected by the bypass state of blocks. If it's in the preset, on or bypassed, CPU is being allocated. Try to get rid of blocks that are not needed for any given tone and make separate presets.

This is a common topic here.
Reverb is one of the most cpu intensive blocks.
You may want to see if the spring reverb type can work for your needs. Or try lowering your echo density on your reverb block.

I believe it's got a small room reverb, and I already lowered the echo density to 5 or 6

Keep in mind that CPU level is unaffected by the bypass state of blocks. If it's in the preset, on or bypassed, CPU is being allocated. Try to get rid of blocks that are not needed for any given tone and make separate presets.

Right, but why would it wait 10-15 minutes for the CPU limit to disable the reverb block? Why wouldn't it just disable the verb block as soon as the patch is turned on??

I believe it's got a small room reverb, and I already lowered the echo density to 5 or 6
6 is only 1 less than the max. Try 4 or even 2.

Right, but why would it wait 10-15 minutes for the CPU limit to disable the reverb block? Why wouldn't it just disable the verb block as soon as the patch is turned on??
It’s not waiting. Running audio (guitar) increases CPU a bit so that can push it out of range. I’d just try the Echo density set to 4 and it should give you what you need. CPU is what it is and we need to design presets around it. I’d try to stay below 85% with guitar playing, but different blocks and combinations sometimes work better or worse. I’ve gotten away with 91%, but other times pushed into overload at 85% once I played guitar.

Just about all of the reverbs use around 20-30% while the Springs only use 8% or so. Small room is no different than large room from a CPU standpoint.

For what it’s worth, 9.02 does reduce cpu usage by a few percentage points, depending on the preset. Update to 9.02 if you have not already.

Anyone seen this one? I have a preset with a number of fx going (flanger, delay, verb, etc). I think the CPU was running at 82%... at sound check it it is fine, and I turn on the tuner to take off the guitar and the CPU limit reached error pops on, and the reverb is disabled. I switch to another preset and back to the same preset, and it is fine again.
Happened to me all the time. You don't need to switch presets. You can even just switch scenes and come right back to the scene you want.

The question appears to be why the CPU limit is breached when turning on the tuner. The OP says the preset is fine during sound check so while all of the suggestions are valid for the typical CPU "issues", it doesn't address why the CPU increases when engaging the tuner.

I don't have an answer but would like to hear solutions as well since I have recently considered ditching my external tuner for the one in the AX8.

If you are pushing the limit of the cpu, you can reduce the reverb quality, and that might be enough. If the preset is for live use, there is no noticeable difference to the "live sound" if you set the reverb quality lower. You can also try yek's trick and use the output compressor in the amp block and eliminate the compressor block if you are using one.

The real issue is that the preset seems to be at 82%, which should be very stable. Just activating the 'Tuner' shouldn't drive it into CPU% over limit?

Can you post the preset so others can check it out?

i'm a bit confused because if he turns on the tuner, he'd see the tuner screen. did the CPU LIMIT message appear over the tuner? did you have no mute setting so you could hear that the Reverb turned off?

or did you EXIT the tuner and all of this happened? definitely uploading the preset will help us troubleshoot this.

i'm a bit confused because if he turns on the tuner, he'd see the tuner screen. did the CPU LIMIT message appear over the tuner? did you have no mute setting so you could hear that the Reverb turned off?

or did you EXIT the tuner and all of this happened? definitely uploading the preset will help us troubleshoot this.

Yes, the CPU message came up while the tuner was on. When I unmuted the tuner, I could hear that the reverb block was disabled.

that is what happened to me. When I activate the tuner when on a certain scene I get the reverb disabled message right over the top of the tuner. As I stated above all I have to do when I exit the tuner is pic a new scene and go right back to the one that I want and I am good to go. it is annoying but I work around it fast. Guess it is the price of living on the edge

that is what happened to me. When I activate the tuner when on a certain scene I get the reverb disabled message right over the top of the tuner. As I stated above all I have to do when I exit the tuner is pic a new scene and go right back to the one that I want and I am good to go. it is annoying but I work around it fast. Guess it is the price of living on the edge

82% though is NOT living on the edge. . I think all the patches I've programmed are more than that and I never get the message. Something else is up! Good luck, Eric

82% though is NOT living on the edge. . I think all the patches I've programmed are more than that and I never get the message. Something else is up! Good luck, Eric
one scene can have more cpu usage than another. when verb is involved the edge can be sooner than ppl expect. I don't know what the deal is but activating the tuner ramps up the cpu. Exiting the tuner switching scenes and come back normalizes it

Yes, the CPU message came up while the tuner was on. When I unmuted the tuner, I could hear that the reverb block was disabled.

I have seen this before with my ambient presets. Are you using 'high' or 'normal' for your reverb? And which drives/delay types are you using?

I've seen mine do this when CERTAIN delays and CERTAIN drives enables it freaks it out.

Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom