CPU Issues

Do you use all 3 delays within a single song? If not I'd be tempted to split that across a couple of presets with just what you need per song in there.

Yes, I often will use all three for different things. The one before the amp is for that crazy worship delay sound where it gets all smeary and distorted. It's usually a Memory Man. The one after the amp in parallel is stereo and either adding a touch of echo or some dotted eighth rhythmic thing. The Plex is for volume swells. And I can use all of those in one song for various parts. It's important to be in the same patch for reasons of spillover which would be too difficult to set up across patches for this.

IIRC there have been a handful of firmware releases for the III that included performance optimizations for certain blocks that reduced CPU load. It's anyone's guess as far as how much room there is in the FM3 firmware for such optimizations though. It could be that there's a lot of low hanging fruit given that we're only at v1.04. It's also possible that a lot of the optimizations from the III are already baked in and we're not going to see significant improvements.

I admit I am a little worried, it would be disappointing if this means that some future improvements can't be ported over from the III. But right now the CPU limit isn't an issue for me. Instead of trying to make kitchen sink presets like I would on the III, I'm using a few stripped down presets that keep me ~80% or lower. I've also started toying with using the Plex block as a reverb substitute which can free up enough CPU to squeeze in an extra block on some presets.

I am where you are. I haven't lost faith, but I am concerned that the presets I had on my AX8 draw more CPU on my FM3. I think the FM3 sounds way better, so I'm sure it eats up more CPU, but I can't believe they couldn't give us more. I would totally pay the price of the III for an FM3 with the III's CPU. I wish Fractal would stop looking at the FM3 as an inferior product to the III and recognize that the floor unit just works better for some artists. Maybe have a cheap model with low CPU and a more expensive model that rivals the III. I would certainly jump on that train.

Back
Top Bottom