CPU Issues

@2112 Oh yeah, I totally get that. Sometimes it's really just a mater of time. I don't have time to dig into all the options and flexibility of different blocks and out of convenience or laziness it's so much easier to pull up a chorus block and select the type, make a small adjustment to rate or depth and be on your way. Not everyone has the knowledge to get a flanger out of the Multidelay block, to the time to explore all the possibilities.

Anyway, thanks so much for the preset examples. I'll be sure to take a look at these. When I have the time.

The addition of global blocks would be super handy in that regard - together with the blocks library in Axe-Edit you could have your go to modes dialled in on those more parameter intensive blocks. Either that or a few extra modes in each block that are tuned for specific applications the way the Plex block got a dedicated Shimmer mode added (eg a MTD "Quad Chorus" mode with controls for master rate, depth etc).

@2112 I went ahead and loaded those presets up. It looks like they are exhibiting the 1.04 Beta 8 bug someone else mentioned. All four scenes are the same. Changing scenes does change the channel, but the actually block settings are the same for each channel.

Last edited:
You can do so much with the Multidelay and the Plex Delay blocks. Here's a pair of presets (created on 1.04 beta 7) that use 4 channels on each block to create a dual delay, reverb, chorus and flanger.

I totally understand the appeal of dialling up a block and selecting an effect type that based on a beloved vintage effect. At the same time, working with the ingredients we've got at hand can be a creative and rewarding process with the potential to unlock sounds we may not have previously had access to.
Thanks Leon, I'll be sure to try these as soon as my FM3 arrives. :D

So this is definitely concerning me, but I don't have a good feel for how impactful this is. I tend to use a fairly effected patches when I play and have been looking forward to using scenes with a number of different effects available. Based on some of these comments, I'm now wondering if the FM3 just isn't going to be able to me my needs.

Some specific questions:
  1. Can someone give me an example of the kinds of presets which are maxing the CPU out (e.g. how many and what types of effects)? I just want to see if these are absurd "kitchen sink" presets or reasonable, but highly effected presents.
  2. I'm still unclear as to what counts against CPU in a preset. Are bypassed effects still using their share of processing? Are effects or amps in different channels all eating CPU?
Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Some specific questions:
  1. Can someone give me an example of the kinds of presets which are maxing the CPU out (e.g. how many and what types of effects)? I just want to see if these are absurd "kitchen sink" presets or reasonable, but highly effected presents.
  2. I'm still unclear as to what counts against CPU in a preset. Are bypassed effects still using their share of processing? Are effects or amps in different channels all eating CPU?
Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Going to start w/ #2 above, as it may help bring clarity to #1 - but, any block you add to the grid will eat CPU capacity, whether it's bypassed or in use. Sometimes there are choices you make within a block that determines the overall CPU hit (for instance, speaker block - are you using one IR or two IR's? It makes a difference …). Sometimes the blocks all "fit", but then you might start choosing various options in the blocks and you might exceed the CPU comfort zone. In that case, you just need to rework the preset a bit, remove what you aren't using if necessary.

#1 - My grid typically starts out with: Input - Compressor - Wah - Flanger, etc. - OD - Amp - Speaker - Chorus, etc. - Delay - Reverb - Output

that signal chain normally works okay as a starting point, as long as you don't go crazy w/ high quality reverbs, delay quality, etc. You can still have the 4 different "channels" for each block in the grid - those channels in and of themselves don't add to CPU overhead.

If I load up much more than this, I start to see issues. I had a FX3, and I got spoiled because I could basically throw everything at a preset, literally the kitchen sink. I quickly found that's not possible with the FM3, but it doesn't really impact sounds I make, so it works for me.

I'm fairly confident I won't hit the CPU limit as I'm not a heavy fx user. Usually a Plexi, OD, Phaser, Cab, Delay, Reverb. That said, I keen on getting a Poly Digit to take away the reverb load and maybe even delays too - for fun more than necessity.

My basic patch looks like below and clocks in right around 80% CPU. I would absolutely LOVE to also include a Pitch block in this, but it isn't possible. It's either the Plex Delay or the Pitch block. I can kinda compromise by removing the Plex Delay and making one of my other delays do it's job if I absolutely need a Pitch block on board. Still.... I'm hoping any updates will give us enough power to do this.

patch.png

Just a quick question... in my understanding, the improvements made to the Axe FX preset switching time will sooner or later be ported to the FM3 according to Cliff himself. Then... how far do we really need different scenes tonewise? Sure they're convenient for editing but... is it feasible to switch back to the old preset based mindset (rhythm preset, clean preset, solo preset)?

(...that is SO 90s!) XD

Just a quick question... in my understanding, the improvements made to the Axe FX preset switching time will sooner or later be ported to the FM3 according to Cliff himself. Then... how far do we really need different scenes tonewise? Sure they're convenient for editing but... is it feasible to switch back to the old preset based mindset (rhythm preset, clean preset, solo preset)?

(...that is SO 90s!) XD

We need scenes for seamless delay and reverb trails. Yes, delay and reverb spillover is available but it's limited and a pain to implement.

My basic patch looks like below and clocks in right around 80% CPU. I would absolutely LOVE to also include a Pitch block in this, but it isn't possible. It's either the Plex Delay or the Pitch block. I can kinda compromise by removing the Plex Delay and making one of my other delays do it's job if I absolutely need a Pitch block on board. Still.... I'm hoping any updates will give us enough power to do this.

View attachment 68040
Good info, thanks. What Reverb are you using?

We need scenes for seamless delay and reverb trails. Yes, delay and reverb spillover is available but it's limited and a pain to implement.

I understand and that's a concern for me too. I make extensive use of those features daily.

I just wanted to note that when I learnt of the development of the FM3 my thought process was literally: "Wow, this is so portable! So cool! But it seems so portable that it might not be too powerfull... I might have to port some of my scenes into dedicated presets... mmmmmmm... That fits in a BACKPACK! I'm IN!"

Then news started to come in and in my head I moved to mini Axe Fx wonderland.

What I'm trying to say is that dedicated presets are just another option when you hit a CPU limit.

We want ultra detailed processing algorithms. And kitchen sink presets. And long effect chains. And portability. And seamless trails. And no spillover config. And 8 switches. And reduced price.

Well, maybe we cannot have all of that at the same time. I for myself made my mind so I understand I'd have to give up some of those features down the road to have others.

It sucks, I now.

I loaded up factor 061 as that was mentioned....initial CPU was at 88.5% with warning.
The reverb is Medium Cathedral set to Normal quality and max (8) echo density. Just changing the Echo Density to the lowest (4) brought the resting CPU down to 76.6%.

Now if I take out blocks I never really use - Rotary, Wah...and remove empty Shunts the preset is at 68%.

So yeah, a little bit of work, but as stated this is still beta and there are updated factory presets comin.

Going to start w/ #2 above, as it may help bring clarity to #1 - but, any block you add to the grid will eat CPU capacity, whether it's bypassed or in use. Sometimes there are choices you make within a block that determines the overall CPU hit (for instance, speaker block - are you using one IR or two IR's? It makes a difference …). Sometimes the blocks all "fit", but then you might start choosing various options in the blocks and you might exceed the CPU comfort zone. In that case, you just need to rework the preset a bit, remove what you aren't using if necessary.

#1 - My grid typically starts out with: Input - Compressor - Wah - Flanger, etc. - OD - Amp - Speaker - Chorus, etc. - Delay - Reverb - Output

that signal chain normally works okay as a starting point, as long as you don't go crazy w/ high quality reverbs, delay quality, etc. You can still have the 4 different "channels" for each block in the grid - those channels in and of themselves don't add to CPU overhead.

If I load up much more than this, I start to see issues. I had a FX3, and I got spoiled because I could basically throw everything at a preset, literally the kitchen sink. I quickly found that's not possible with the FM3, but it doesn't really impact sounds I make, so it works for me.
Great response. Thank you!

View attachment 68040

Do you use all 3 delays within a single song? If not I'd be tempted to split that across a couple of presets with just what you need per song in there.

Back
Top Bottom