CPU Issues

wcfieldskx

Power User
Just upgraded to 1.04 beta 7 and many of my presets won't even work anymore. Worked fine in 1.03. Now..CPU maxed error. I know I could go back to 1.03, but is this going to get fixed/optimized in an upcoming release? Pete Thorn FM3 Plexi preset won't work either.

Last edited:
From another thread...
The factory presets were exhaustively tested before they were released. Then something interesting happened. New firmware was released. Again and again. Each new firmware brought improvements, and some of those improvements ate up more CPU. That pushed some of the factory presets over the top.

This will be addressed in future firmware and preset releases.

Reactions: Rex
Thanks. Didnt see anything from Fractal actually stating that CPU usage would decrease in upcoming releases.
Not worried about factory presets being redone...just hoping overall to see a reduction. Looks like between 1.03 and 1.04 v7 the CPU on a few of my presets I noticed went up 4 or 5%

Yeah, I don't think the CPU utilization is actually coming down in the new firmware. They're just going to redo the factory presets. In the same way, you're probably going to have to redo your own presets to bring them in under the limit. Kinda sucks.

Thanks. Didnt see anything from Fractal actually stating that CPU usage would decrease in upcoming releases.
Not worried about factory presets being redone...just hoping overall to see a reduction. Looks like between 1.03 and 1.04 v7 the CPU on a few of my presets I noticed went up 4 or 5%

thats a good bump in cpu
unfortunately i think its the price of admission to have the same algos
i am excited for the new pitch stuff and comps but i suspect that will again bump cpu up a couple of %
as will using Ultra res IRs when that get implemented

Yeah, I don't think the CPU utilization is actually coming down in the new firmware. They're just going to redo the factory presets. In the same way, you're probably going to have to redo your own presets to bring them in under the limit. Kinda sucks.
Big Time...

"Major".

It really isn't.
When you figure the FM3 is at the beginning of it's life cycle and is already running short on CPU, where's that leave things for future improvements? I wasn't concerned about this before but I am now. Will I have to use a preset for drive and delay effects, another for pitch and another for ambient etc? That's what scenes is intended for but if the preset can't handle the load...

yup, I think you are right. Not sure how CPU utilization will be "adressed" in future firmware. Maybe it can be optimized somewhat? Guess we'll have to work around it, at least for now.

Last edited:
That would make me nervous for future improvements for algorithms. At some point if there’s a big modeling overhaul that adds 10-15% more cpu usage it would have to diverge from Axe 3 and then we could see a big slowdown in porting like the AX8.

I don't think that's ever been the case. Previous units' capabilities were maxed out and they had to move to bigger/better CPUs.
IIRC there have been a handful of firmware releases for the III that included performance optimizations for certain blocks that reduced CPU load. It's anyone's guess as far as how much room there is in the FM3 firmware for such optimizations though. It could be that there's a lot of low hanging fruit given that we're only at v1.04. It's also possible that a lot of the optimizations from the III are already baked in and we're not going to see significant improvements.

I admit I am a little worried, it would be disappointing if this means that some future improvements can't be ported over from the III. But right now the CPU limit isn't an issue for me. Instead of trying to make kitchen sink presets like I would on the III, I'm using a few stripped down presets that keep me ~80% or lower. I've also started toying with using the Plex block as a reverb substitute which can free up enough CPU to squeeze in an extra block on some presets.

I think my expectations were skewed because I remember Greg, when he was with Fractal, would update us on how well he was doing squeezing more and more CPU through optimization. I guess I thought that would continually improve.

I would assume that their focus right now is on knocking out any high priority bugs that still remain in v1.04 and possibly implementing some of the bigger features that are missing, like UltraRes IRs. Performance optimizations are probably lower on the TODO list.

CPU utilization has been reduced in the past for at least the AX8 and AXE2. Why would you think it couldnt happen for the FM3?

Back
Top Bottom