CPU Comparison: FM3 Preset vs FM9 Preset

Stratoblaster

Fractal Fanatic
I've noticed several times that users are curious as to the CPU use with the FM3 vs FM9 so I thought I'd add my two-cents worth.

I received the FM9 today and did a comparison of my main preset on both units as I was curious too.

I exported the FM3 preset, imported it to the FM9, and the only thing I changed was to make the Reverb quality on the FM9 "Ultra-High"; otherwise, they are identical. The FM3 reverb is set to "Economy" quality.

I then went a little crazy stuffing the FM9 preset with some other blocks to make a 'kitchen sink' preset and fill up the CPU to just under 80%.

Screenshots:
  • FM3 preset (76%)
  • FM9 preset imported from the FM3 with Ultra-High reverb quality (59.3%)
  • FM9 preset with 'stuff' added (78.9%)

Attachments

• FM3-FM9-CPU.jpg
    FM3-FM9-CPU.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 97
As a noob considering an FM9: if I put CPU to 99% will it perform as intended, or will there be lag or performance issues? In other words, is there some threshold for CPU below 100% where things can technically run but not run smoothly? For PC gaming, 99% cpu use would be awful, for example.

As a noob considering an FM9: if I put CPU to 99% will it perform as intended, or will there be lag or performance issues? In other words, is there some threshold for CPU below 100% where things can technically run but not run smoothly? For PC gaming, 99% cpu use would be awful, for example.
Fractal highly recommends not running the CPU above 80%. Above that and the responsiveness, then the sound, will be affected.

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=CPU_usage

In general, no computer behaves well at 99%.

I may add to Greg that CPU could "peak" when you play, and the sound will suffer, 80% is a safe margin in "worst case scenario" (pedal attached, scene switch, so on...)

Once you pass 82-83% there’s a good chance you’ll get the warning and the unit will do a quick mute and bypass blocks to bring you back under the threshold.

Ok definitely good to know. Thanks.
So it looks like ultra high reverb, 2 amps, and some pedals is about max then. I guess I wouldn't use more than that - only issue is if any updates would require more cpu power, I'm guessing.

So it looks like ultra high reverb, 2 amps, and some pedals is about max then. I guess I wouldn't use more than that - only issue is if any updates would require more cpu power, I'm guessing.
There are so many folks here that play in big cover bands\multiple cover bands\tribute bands, etc, etc, etc and they don't seem to have any issues. Me myself, never any issues , my presets are simple, basic stuff. Just like my amps were setup for many decades-simple. I use FX but mostly chorus\reverb and delay. OD now and then but I like scenes for pushing the amps instead of pedals. I think you'll be happy.

Amps run on a dedicated core.

Reverbs run on a dedicated core.

Delays (standard, not multi or Plex) run on a dedicated core.

Everything else runs on the remaining core...

Looking at the FM9 screenshot I see 13 blocks (15 if you count Input/Output) that run on the remaining core (which is where the CPU use comes in to play).

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but as for a dual amp situation, is it true that there is a loss of fidelity vs one amp (when mixing 2 amps)? I think I read that somewhere.

For the FM9, this is not accurate at all. How did you reach this conclusion?
Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but as for a dual amp situation, is it true that there is a loss of fidelity vs one amp (when mixing 2 amps)? I think I read that somewhere.
this is how the Axe2 functioned and the difference wasn’t noticeable at all. This does not happen on the FM9 though (or Axe3).

For the FM9, this is not accurate at all. How did you reach this conclusion?

this is how the Axe2 functioned and the difference wasn’t noticeable at all. This does not happen on the FM9 though (or Axe3).

Thanks for replying.

As said above, I'm new to Fractal. From OP's picture it appears that there were dual amps, the ultra reverb, and other pedals. After looking at it again, there were more pedals than I first thought. Looks pretty powerful.

Even without the Looper, Ring Mod, and Comp (which I only added to push up the CPU to bump 80%) you're still left with a pretty serious rig with crazy amounts of options and versatility for days...I'm super pumped with how much CPU the FM9 has.

I look at reverb like this…

Ultra-high reverb is useful for solo guitar especially when recording, but in an ensemble situation that added definition is going to be lost because of the other instruments. And, in a live situation in a room, reverb will mostly be lost because the room's acoustics and the band's sound will stomp all over it, so only on solo passages or when it's really high in the mix does it stand out.

That comes from running FOH for a bunch of years "back in the day."

As Fractal says:
In most situations, especially live, Normal or Economy provide the desired results and most listeners won't notice any difference.

The FM9 makes it luxurious for reverb and ambient buffs because of its use of a dedicated CPU, but the FM3 needs more consideration. I make my presets to fit comfortably into the FM3 then push them to the FM9 and FX3, mostly because I'm lazy and don't want to maintain three separate versions, but having them behave and sound consistently is desirable.

"How to use reverb" on Gilmourish has some interesting things to think about along those lines.

Back
Top Bottom