CPU almost maxing out

Amps don't really affect your CPU usage on the Axe FX III, the amps run on a separate DSP chip than the rest of the effects so they don't have a CPU readout because there's no way to overload that second CPU.

The 82% you're seeing is the combination of all the other stuff you're running.

Amps don't really affect your CPU usage on the Axe FX III, the amps run on a separate DSP chip than the rest of the effects so they don't have a CPU readout because there's no way to overload that second CPU.

The 82% you're seeing is the combination of all the other stuff you're running.

Thanks! I am guessing - by other stuff - you mean the other effects etc?

Thanks! I am guessing - by other stuff - you mean the other effects etc?

Yeah, all your other blocks, and the routing connections between them. If you've got a lot going on it can add up. Over 80% things start to get unpredictable, because the CPU also has to run things like the system UI, Axe Edit connections, etc and you might get audio dropouts if it can't keep up with all your audio blocks.

Some good first ones to look at to reduce CPU are Cab blocks: Using 4 IRs uses more CPU than one, you could consider switching to a single IR or using another program to make a single IR which is a mix of all your separate IRs you were using. And the Reveb block has a quality setting on it that you could reduce a level if you're having trouble fitting everything in. Or remove blocks that aren't being used.

Yeah, all your other blocks, and the routing connections between them. If you've got a lot going on it can add up. Over 80% things start to get unpredictable, because the CPU also has to run things like the system UI, Axe Edit connections, etc and you might get audio dropouts if it can't keep up with all your audio blocks.

Some good first ones to look at to reduce CPU are Cab blocks: Using 4 IRs uses more CPU than one, you could consider switching to a single IR or using another program to make a single IR which is a mix of all your separate IRs you were using. And the Reveb block has a quality setting on it that you could reduce a level if you're having trouble fitting everything in. Or remove blocks that aren't being used.

this is what it looks like..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 260
That's kind of like asking "I have a glass of water that is full. Is that normal?". If you put enough water in, yes, it will fill up. If you post the preset file, I'm sure somebody would offer suggestions on how to reduce the cpu load.

That's kind of like asking "I have a glass of water that is full. Is that normal?". If you put enough water in, yes, it will fill up. If you post the preset file, I'm sure somebody would offer suggestions on how to reduce the cpu load.
Just did.

The two different Reverb blocks jump out at me to start. Reverb is an expensive effect in terms of CPU. Turning the reverb quality down inside the blocks will free up a bit.

Here's a thread with some CPU usage values for the different block types: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/block-cpu-usage-values.138238/

But you also just have a lot of blocks, and those add up. Assume for example that they each take 5%, you've got 15 blocks (aside from In/Out and the 2 Amp blocks), that's 75%. In reality some take <1% and some like Reverb on High quality can take >10%. You can experiment by deleting blocks one at a time to see what they were using.

The 2 reverb blocks if on High Quality use a lot of cpu, the more IRs you are using in the cab block the higher the cpu, every effect and connection adds to cpu (except amps) among other things you may have turned on such as output comp, cab preamp etc... when making "kitchen sink" presets you have to usually compensate by turning the quality down on something.

Not a screen shot, the actual file.
This. Use the Export Preset option the Preset menu in Axe-Edit to save the preset as a .syx file, then post it here. Based on the screen shot you posted, the preset doesn't look all that busy. I'm betting the gang here can help you get the CPU down into a reasonable range.

This. Use the Export Preset option the Preset menu in Axe-Edit to save the preset as a .syx file, then post it here. Based on the screen shot you posted, the preset doesn't look all that busy. I'm betting the gang here can help you get the CPU down into a reasonable range.

I originally bought this tone from a vendor, and modified the settings. Can I still share it?

If I delete the looper block - it brings me down to the 70’s. Also, the preset uses 4 Cabs. I am sure that’s causing a good amount of load.

If I delete the looper block - it brings me down to the 70’s. Also, the preset uses 4 Cabs. I am sure that’s causing a good amount of load.
Yes, that takes a lot of CPU. I generally like the tones better if I only use 1 or 2 cabs, but you have to narrow down which 1 or 2 fit the sound best. Seems like more than 2 starts to have too many layers of different harmonic overtones in gain patches in particular. These days I am often using two amps panned and then I go into 2 cabs in the block both panned as well. Nice stereo tone that blends more clearly in a mix.

Definitely, if you looked into that thread I posted, each reverb might be taking 10%, and each cab is around 5%. So with two reverbs and 4 cabs that's 40% right there. Switching up the CAB IRs (or if they're user cabs, taking them into another tool and merging them into one IR file) and or turning down reverb quality would be some pretty quick wins.

Yeah - turning down the reverb quality helps as well.

Is the looper block really necessary though? - i hardly seem to ever use it - except when I am working on a tone for a specific song..

Back
Top Bottom