COVID. Thought for sure that I was in the clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's amazing to me how this has become political. If there are alternative methods to treat Covid why not include them all as treatments. Everyone has unique chemistry and like everything it is some trial and error, time dependent, personal body chemistry dependent and co-morbidity dependent. Glad you are still around Moke and you found a treatment that worked for you. Guys, is that so hard to say because it doesn't jibe with your political view on this.... WTF...? I am all for freedom of information and choice. What is so hard about that......

but it's not political. We have public health systems that ensure treatments are scientifically tested and approved on taxpayers' behalf for safe usage. We have physicians that prescribe proven to be safe drugs based on professional asessment of specific cases. And yet we have many non-professionals making specific medical / prescription drug recommendations to strangers in public forums. There's no politics here - there's common sense, and not. WTF indeed

Last edited:
but it's not political. We have public health systems that ensure treatments are scientifically tested and approved on taxpayers' behalf for safe usage. We have physicians that prescribe proven to be safe drugs based on professional asessment of specific cases. And yet we have many non-professionals making specific medical / prescription drug recommendations to strangers in public forums. There's no politics here - there's common sense, and not. WTF indeed

Well....the problem was that pointing at data that refuted the public health systems' recommendations led to people being silenced online, insulted in mainstream media, and in some cases losing their jobs. Very often with outright lies.

The funny thing....the public health systems have been lately been admitting that at least some of the conflicting information was right and they were wrong....very quietly.

Science isn't science without open discussion. You silence bad ideas with good data and logic, not censorship and ad homonym attacks.
Period.

Random side-note...I had covid in December 2021. It was thankfully a mild case.
My wife had it in early 2020 before anyone knew what it was, and either I got it and it was so mild I didn't notice or I didn't get it somehow.
And, I'll try to remember to post if the side-effects from the vaccine I had in March and April of 2021 ever go away.

(yes, I'm aware anecdotes are not data)

Well....the problem was that pointing at data that refuted the public health systems' recommendations led to people being silenced online, insulted in mainstream media, and in some cases losing their jobs. Very often with outright lies.

The funny thing....the public health systems have been lately been admitting that at least some of the conflicting information was right and they were wrong....very quietly.

Science isn't science without open discussion. You silence bad ideas with good data and logic, not censorship and ad homonym attacks.
Period.

My wife had it in early 2020 before anyone knew what it was, and either I got it and it was so mild I didn't notice or I didn't get it somehow.
And, I'll try to remember to post if the side-effects from the vaccine I had in March and April of 2021 ever go away.

Hence why we have peer reviews and strict guidelines in the science community. Of course people are people and the science community gets caught up in internal politics as well (always a human problem wherever you look in this world, without exception). Still, I'd rather have that structure than all of the crazy going on outside it.

I would expect that eventually most good ideas will find their way to the surface. There's a big difference between open discussion and established fact. Unfortunately, that line is very blurry now.

To another post I saw back there somewhere from someone else.....It's no mystery that this became a culture war. Bad actors seize every opportunity to weaponize any social issue to further their ambitions, regardless of the consequences. Humans do this! Not all of course....The ones that do, are your real enemies. They see your weaknesses and exploit them to great affect. I don't blindly trust the medical industry as a whole either, cause humans!

I'm sure we all just want this end, but we have to survive ourselves first.

Last edited:
I was simply sharing my experience, not giving medical advice. I just think maybe, just maybe, the official medical community doesn't know everything. Heck, for years many MDs would scoff at chiropractic care and call them quacks. Now my MD gives me a referral to one. That same doctor used to tell me to eat according to the food pyramid, with most of my calories coming from carbs. I ended up with high cholesterol, high blood pressure and high blood sugar (pre-diabetes). After years of meds, and a growing gut, I sought out an alternative opinion and was taught to focus on proteins, fats and veggies in my diet. Needless to say after several months the excess weight came off and I was able to stop all the meds. My MD told me I was eating wrong and the statistics said I was at greater risk for heart disease, despite the blood test results! He was simply following the accepted science of that day. That was years ago. NOW, my MD's tune has totally changed, and says my diet is good and that I'm doing well. I say, trust no human person or system, because none are right all the time, even when they use the scientific method.

Regarding ivermectin's use for covid: frankly I have no idea if it really helps. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. Certainly some people think it has helped them. There seems to be a goodly number of those people. Maybe it's chance, or that it's usually combined with a steroid. All I know is, if I was really sick with Covid, I would certainly be seeking some out just in case it would help. That's just me. To all who can't bring themselves to stray from "tested and approved on taxpayers behalf for safe usage" meds, don't. I don't mean that snarky. I just think everyone should be free to treat themselves as they think best.

Went to a local medical facility to confirm and indeed, I'm positive for COVID.
Likewise, any tips (aside from the conventional) for getting over this quick?

Seconding what many others have said:
  • Vitamin D
  • Zinc
  • Quercetin
  • probably Ivermectin
  • Water and Gatorade
  • Lots of rest

When you get over it and think, "Hey, I feel normal today! I'll go do 15 things I've been putting off," well...think again. This bug has an annoying knack of letting you believe you're over it for three days, to trick you into exerting a little normal-level energy...and then making you feel like crap again for a day or two. Depending on how bad a case you get, it'll trick you that way 2, maybe 3 times before you finally get back to normal and STAY there.

Also agree about keeping an O2 meter handy during the worst parts of it. But with enough supplements and rest, and with the Omicron variant(s) being less lung-damag-y than the previous ones, hopefully your O2 sats won't dip in nasty ways like they often did with the earlier variants.

And, YES, Dr. John Campbell's channel on YouTube was the most-reliable source on information about these things over the last couple of years. Dr. Mobeen Syed also had some really good info, but at a more-technical level than a lot of people are likely to appreciate. (But with good illustrations, which helped.)

Ivermectin is for horses.
Ivermectin was developed for HUMANS. Like many drugs it has been repurposed for veterinary use.

The developers of Ivermectin won a Noble prize for their work.

The discovery of Ivermectin is considered as important as the discovery of Penicillin.

Ivermectin has been prescribed BILLIONS of times.

Ivermectin has a safety profile and safety history better than the OTC drug Tylenol.

These are facts.

Dude, I recognize you might be just being ironical and a gadfly, and your avatar for doing that is perfectly fitting! :p ...but just in case you're not clownin' around: Ivermectin in the right formulation and the right doses is one of the most commonly-used human meds on the planet. Obviously if it's coupled with dewormer and/or administered at a thousand times the safe dosage, it'd be harmful or fatal. (But then, the same is true of water.)

Now, the mere fact that Ivermectin is an unusually safe and commonplace human medication doesn't mean it does anything to help with COVID. There are (or, were, last time I checked the literature) two proposed mechanisms-of-action for helping with COVID: One in relation to the ACE2 receptor and another in relation to intracellular replication. Maybe that's been updated; I don't know. And, the population studies go both ways. Yet, actual clinicians often swear by it. "Data isn't the plural of anecdote," I know. Still, when whole countries begin to pile up the anecdotes, sometimes y'wonder if that doesn't constitute a better sample set than a well-designed study of 25 college students.

I, not being a clinician, have no clue who's right...nor, by the way, do I think it's reasonable to conclude that anyone else does! It's just too soon. (But that's typical fog-of-war stuff. In twenty years, maybe, we'll know. I try to be epistemically humble.) On the other hand, the relative harmlessness of it (properly formulated, in correct doses) means that even if it does nothing to help, the downside of thinking that it would help is basically nil.

So basically the smart approach to such things, I think, is: Know your own epistemic limits; do the reading; judge as best you can whether the available information is helpful; evaluate the cost/benefit of each course of action; and then man-up and make a judgment call. (Which is very nearly what all grownups have to do for every decision, all day, every day. ;) )

Last edited:
Hence why we have peer reviews and strict guidelines in the science community.

And the problem was that it was completely overshadowed by people who thought initial reports, wrong media interpretations, and top-down thinking were somehow more valuable.

Case in point:

Not sure if joking. If serious....no. Just no.

The creators won a Nobel prize for its use in humans in 2015, and it's been on the WHO list of essential medicines for quite a long time.

People were taking the equine formulations of it on their own because the CDC and NHS prohibited its off-label use as a covid prophylaxis AFTER peer-reviewed studies came out suggesting some efficacy for that exact application.

Which is one of many things they've been quietly backtracking over the last few weeks while everyone is changing their avatars from masks to Ukranian flags.

Ivermectin was developed for HUMANS. Like many drugs it has been repurposed for veterinary use.

The developers of Ivermectin won a Noble prize for their work.

The discovery of Ivermectin is considered as important as the discovery of Penicillin.

Ivermectin has been prescribed BILLIONS of times.

Ivermectin has a safety profile and safety history better than the OTC drug Tylenol.

These are facts.
Here are some more facts:

The FDA has not approved Ivermectin for use in treating COVID-19.

Animal and human formulations of Ivermectin are different, taking the version of Ivermectin intended for animals is dangerous because it is more concentrated.

Ivermectin is supposed to be taken in VERY specific doses for specific things, none of which are COVID-19.

Taking more Ivermectin than you are supposed can cause serious side effects and poisoning.

Ivermectin was developed to treat parasites, not viral infection.

Ivermectin for COVID is bad advice. It's popular in conspiracy theory circles but can be very dangerous for humans.

This is a forum for the AxeFX. Please do not come here for medical advice. Go to qualified medical professionals. Avoid Facebook and Youtube. You're already getting pointed to conspiracy theorists, medical quacks and people not qualified to give advice here. I recommend this thread be deleted.

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consu...-not-use-ivermectin-treat-or-prevent-covid-19

I am a qualified medical professional. There are plenty of reputable peer reviewed journal articles that recommend Ivermectin for early stage COVID in patients that do not require hospitalization.

This is no conspiracy theory. Ivermectin is a Nobel Prize winning medicine in humans.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34466270/

I wonder how people who aren't medical professional talk about what is good and bad advice. And what is misinformation and what isn't with regards to medical treatment.

Agreed, that this IS NOT a political topic. But when people start calling information "misinformation" and further BS buzz terms they heard on the internet, they is no doubt it will devolve into a pissing match of OPINIONS.

Science isn't about OPINIONS. It's about RESEARCH.

"Merck began marketing ivermectin as a veterinary antiparasitic in 1981"

"They found it to be highly safe and effective, triggering Merck to register ivermectin for human use as "Mectizan" in France in 1987."

The human version came later, so yeah no. Sorry Cliff

Also it may be for human use approved and safe but that doesn't make it effective.

And the problem was that it was completely overshadowed by people who thought initial reports, wrong media interpretations, and top-down thinking were somehow more valuable.

Case in point:

Not sure if joking. If serious....no. Just no.

The creators won a Nobel prize for its use in humans in 2015, and it's been on the WHO list of essential medicines for quite a long time.

People were taking the equine formulations of it on their own because the CDC and NHS prohibited its off-label use as a covid prophylaxis AFTER peer-reviewed studies came out suggesting some efficacy for that exact application.

Which is one of many things they've been quietly backtracking over the last few weeks while everyone is changing their avatars from masks to Ukranian flags.
Amen to that, brother.

"Merck began marketing ivermectin as a veterinary antiparasitic in 1981"

"They found it to be highly safe and effective, triggering Merck to register ivermectin for human use as "Mectizan" in France in 1987."

The human version came later, so yeah no. Sorry Cliff

Also it may be for human use approved and safe but that doesn't make it effective.
I stand corrected.

Here are some more facts:

The FDA has not approved Ivermectin for use in treating COVID-19.

Animal and human formulations of Ivermectin are different, taking the version of Ivermectin intended for animals is dangerous because it is more concentrated.

Ivermectin is supposed to be taken in VERY specific doses for specific things, none of which are COVID-19.

Taking more Ivermectin than you are supposed can cause serious side effects and poisoning.

Ivermectin was developed to treat parasites, not viral infection.

Let's go through some more facts.

There are plenty of medicines that are very effective for off label uses. That's between a doctor and their patient.

There are plenty of medicines that are for both animal and human use. Some are even the same doses.

Ivermectin has been shown to be effective for the early treatment of COVID in patients with mild cases who do not require hospitalization. I linked one of the articles that speak to this in another post.

Taken more of ANY drug for ANY reason can cause serious side effects and potentially poisoning.

The use of a drug evolves with time. That's what science does. What Ivermectin was initially developed for is irrelevant. If it has a use in viral infections, let it be studied, and proven. Which it is in the process of being.

As one of many descendants of Ukrainian immigrants I just have to say that throwing anything
about what is going on in Ukraine into the mix of this discussion is totally uncalled for, not to
mention irrelevant. It is telling, though, and quite pathetic!

Last edited:

Period.

Thank you for saying this. You have no idea how some of us who spoke out on things were ostracized over the last two years. Jobs were threatened and livelihoods were lost. Only to be vindicated. Eventually. No apologies. No compensation. Nothing. As you put it, the truth was quietly released. And there is plenty more that hasn't. Yet. Some will never be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom