Covid empties guitar stocks?

axelat

It's hard to buy a new guitar these days. Either there is a shortage in production, or the sales have raised during the last Covid month probably both. At Thomann, Kirstein, Promusictools, Andertons... most guitars are out of stock.

Same with bikes. I tried to buy a bike for my daughter, there were only 2 bikes of smaller size left. It was no discounts, take it or leave it. The shop had a +400% turnover and a supply shortfall.

there is a shortage in production

There's your answer right there. Plants are/were closed due to COVID. Shipping likely also got interrupted/delayed. Quarantining the incoming shipments has had an affect as well I'm sure. Plus, on top of all that, there is all that stimulus money that went out in the U.S. here and with having people bottled up at home with nothing to do. My guess is, a lot of those folks purchased guitars with that money and are passing the time at home playing.

So big increase in guitar purchases, plus significant decrease in production.

You would think with all the layoffs and plant slowdowns, sales would be slow. It's been just the opposite with a lot of companies out there. Like MK-9 said, a lot of people are stuck at home and bored. I know I am. I've been very fortunate to keep my job and work from home. It gave me plenty of time to think about wanting and ultimately getting my FX-III, that's for sure.
The place I work for is still running 100% and has been and we can't keep up with the demand.

I'm honestly surprised that the market is able to support as many guitars being produced as they are. The conservationist in me kinda wishes they would just stop making guitars for a year or two and save some trees and reduce carbon emissions. There are soooo many perfectly good guitars sitting up in pawn shops or guitar center or whatever that would suit someone perfectly.

Reactions: ESW
I'm honestly surprised that the market is able to support as many guitars being produced as they are. The conservationist in me kinda wishes they would just stop making guitars for a year or two and save some trees and reduce carbon emissions. There are soooo many perfectly good guitars sitting up in pawn shops or guitar center or whatever that would suit someone perfectly.

China eats up more lumber in a year then Fender and Gibson will in a lifetime. If you want to save the planet, don't fret about tiny details with tiny gains, go for the big savings.

Although Gibson might save some wood if they would just stop making their necks out of one piece, including the angled necks. Instead of a big block get one plank, glue the angled headstock on and not only will you save wood, their necks will finally stop snapping when you look at them just the wrong way.

I recently picked up a Gretsch White Falcon player’s edition. Awesome guitar for my intended use (P&W). Sweetwater had two in stock with more available at the factory.

Yeah, the used market picked up a lot because of this. Some things (like bikes - I had that experience too) had wrapped up much of their yearly 2020 model production so they weren't planning on creating more inventory until the 2021 models were out so that makes for a gap until new production ramps up.

Went to get some bike tubes at walmart and the entire bike aisle was empty. Nothing. Plenty of tubes though (the rubber kind) ;)

With all the kids at home, people are trying to keep them occupied. Bikes, toys, games, etc. are all in high demand. Seems like everyone is doing DIY and home projects right now too. Home Depot and Lowes are having a hard time keeping stuff in stock.

I would like to see Gibson have a line of flat top les Paul's with with 24 frets and a Floyd rose that don't cost $5,000. Not every one is in to VINTAGE. they need to catch up to the times. or even make a killer 7 string les Paul with 24 frets and a Floyd rose.

China eats up more lumber in a year then Fender and Gibson will in a lifetime. If you want to save the planet, don't fret about tiny details with tiny gains, go for the big savings.

Although Gibson might save some wood if they would just stop making their necks out of one piece, including the angled necks. Instead of a big block get one plank, glue the angled headstock on and not only will you save wood, their necks will finally stop snapping when you look at them just the wrong way.

Demand and public perception insist that a one piece neck is “better.” That is why the large companies Gibson, Fender, PRS continue this tradition.

The top end vintage shops in Nashville are making bank now. The top income consumers (not impacted by Covid) are buying up all the musicians instruments.

Back
Top Bottom