Covid + and recovered?

DaveO

Fractal Fanatic
SO has anyone had the COVID virus and recovered in the FAS community? Tell your story...

I did. Almost 3 weeks ago. Infected by my girlfriend, who is a flight attendant and got ill before me.

3 days of fever and chills, all-over body ache, very very tired (for weeks), pressure on the chest, no taste or smell at all, and a couple of weird hallucinations. But no respiratory complications.

Almost recovered, but we're both still coughing.

I go back and forth on this.

My whole family caught something back in the last few days of February which had us knocked out through the first 3 weeks of March.

Symptoms:
  • Weird tiredness for a few days, on-and-off, like there was something trying to make you sick, but not quite managing it
  • Then, a sudden feeling terrible one day, pulsing painful aches in various places (especially headaches)
  • Tight, inflamed, weird, damaged feeling in lower throat and upper chest
  • 2 days of a fever between 101.4 and 102.1 degrees, headaches like pulses of a migraine when you move
  • Fever starts dropping away over 2 more days, aches fade away, dry coughs begin
  • 3 weeks of dry cough gradually going away -- so gradually we called doctors worrying about why we weren't getting any better

So, it sounds a fair bit like COVID-19, except...
  • My middle child was barely touched by it: 1 day of feeling drained, no fever, no cough (perhaps that's what all the "asymptomatics" are like)
  • None of us remember having a loss of taste or smell, although I sure lost my appetite, and I guess that's related
  • We were never tested, because we never had life-threatening shortness-of-breath, and thus weren't eligible for a test (remember: this was in the early days before the social-distancing orders, and they had so few tests that they were rationing them for ER patients only)
  • We didn't know anyone who'd been in China or Italy, and for us to have caught it in late February would mean it was doing community spread in the U.S. a few weeks earlier than anyone thought

So what was it? Flu? We'd had the flu vaccine; but perhaps there was a second flu strain against which we'd had no vaccine?

I'm looking forward to getting an antibodies test, some day, so that I can find out what it was we had.

Last edited:
90% sure I had it, but symptoms weren't severe enough to test. First couple days the fever was rough, and then is leveled off but stuck around for 10 days or so. Had the dry cough (still do) and my breathing was around 30% restricted - noticeable but not too bad. After 5-7 days I realized I couldn't smell anything.

Happy to say that the fever has been gone now for 5 days, and the cough gets incrementally better each day. Probably 90% better after a little over 2 weeks. And I can smell bourbon now. :)

I think I may of had it back in February. I was traveling a lot for work at the time. I had a bad cough; however, I was also congested. In addition, I lost taste and smell which has never happened to me and was really freaky. I was sick about 12 days total but it was really bad for about three. I think my youngest son got it from me because he was sick for about two weeks. However, my wife and other son didn't get sick which makes me think it could have been something else. I would really like to get tested to know for sure.

Last edited:
I did. Almost 3 weeks ago. Infected by my girlfriend, who is a flight attendant and got ill before me.

3 days of fever and chills, all-over body ache, very very tired (for weeks), pressure on the chest, no taste or smell at all, and a couple of weird hallucinations. But no respiratory complications.

Zoinks! Glad to hear you are recovering. Be well, my friend!

Mr Yek, I sincerely hope your recovering, my prayers go out to you, your girlfriend and everyone that may have contracted my apologizes for the post however my curiosity to understand anyone that may have had it and recovered last week was gross self indulgence. I have a cousin on east coast that is doctor his last email to me was very unsettling...

I think it's a good thread. Those who haven't had it need to hear from those who have. I spent a few days last month putting my plan and a kit together in case my wife and I get it. It helped me cope and I think we're all going to get it eventually and soon.

I read a story in our paper today about a married couple down the road from me that had it and recovered after being quarantined at home. They were in their early 70s and the wife had been battling stage 4 cancer for like 8 months! They had a mild case and got better. But I didn't know you could live that long with stage 4 cancer.

Early March. Co-workers positively tested (it was the early days trying to find who has imported the virus in the coutry). I was very slightly ill during one week. I began to have a dry cough on a sunny sunday. Ran a 10 miles trail that sunday. Got shortly fever the evening. On monday, I felt ill with dry cough and headache. No fever but was taking paracetamol for my head. No fever meant no testing. During that day, appeared a dyspnea. I was short of breath when talking, stairs looked like the Everest. I took hydroxychloroquine because of the increasing dyspnea. On friday, breathness began to be less difficult by I felt weak and very tired. After another week, I only felt shortness of breath when I was walking at 5 km/h during a few minutes. Was still tired. Still had cough sometimes.
Now I feel better. I’m able to run slowly but I go easy because of the cardiomyopathic risk (and it’s not possible to get my hand on a cardiologist to have a check).

Did I have the Covid ? I don’t know but a friend of mine, infectiologist, thinks it’s probable.
Virus was in my office at a time when there were no measure of prevention.
It was not like a flu. I’m a regular runner and the 10 miles trail was not challenging. I considered myself in good health.
I’ve never had such an illness...

I’m now waiting for serologic tests to become available.

Reactions: ESW
I didn't know you could live that long with stage 4 cancer.

Like everything else, it's just a label. My mother had stage 4 lung cancer 6 years ago. Surgery and mild chemo and it hasn't reappeared. Her doctor said "there are people with stage 4 lung cancer which you don't recover from, and then there's you". He had no explanation for it. I, however, do.

Glad to hear these stories of recovery. COVID is still a very dangerous disease and should be given the caution it deserves. I tested positive for flu back in February despite having the vaccine back in the fall. It was a mild case. I came down with some kind of respiratory thing after recovering from the flu. I traveled a lot at that point (not anymore). Looking at my Marriott account, I was away from home like 45 of the first 60 days of the year. I know I was on flights and in airports with infected people. Pretty darn sure I sat next to one on my last flight home. Not sure if I had it or not, but my best friend has had something that wasn't flu and he's still recovering.

Back
Top Bottom