Covid-19 Pandemic Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
To sort of balance all the analytical discussions, and maybe to give an upbeat and musical contribution: just posted this song (“Shutdown”) on Youtube - this song would not have happened if this pandemic would not have touched our lives, and I hope the song triggers people to find the positive out of something that is catastrophic for many people mentally, physically or economically.

All guitars, acoustic (Taylor) and electric (Fender Strat de Luxe) recorded using the AXE-FXIII, particularly like the Strat tone for the solo and outtro, let me know what you think…

It started with a text that a friend of mine (Dave Mangene) posted on his socials, which described the feelings of despair, hope and love related to the Shutdown.

Somehow, the lines stuck in my head. Having my acoustic guitar in a different tuning than normal, (DADGAD) a melody and groove came up, and in one day I wrote, arranged and recorded the music & vocals and sent Dave the tune, who had no clue I had worked on it.

That triggered a creative energy and remarkable 'togetherness', where others got involved and where we all from our quarantine homes in different cities worked to bring the song alive with a video in less than a week. This would not have happened if this pandemic hadn’t happened, and even if no soul would listen to this, it has enriched our lives in many ways!

As I write this, we're still in the middle of the pandemic and partial shutdown here in The Netherlands as well, hope we all get through this and wake up in a better world!

R.A.D.I.

That was really cool thanks for sharing :)
You guys did a really great job on a very cool song Shut Down.
I really did enjoy it thank you From the panhandle of Florida.

Treading a thin line there without naming those tribes. But even pointing them out and stereotyping is tribal.
You know I cannot mention them. I would love to. How about an analogy of sorts. So, 2 groups. One group does NOT care about others needs if they don't look the same as their group, or worship differently than their group. They do noy show any empathy for others outside their group and they do NOT believe in facts and truth.. The other group is quite logical, compassionate and empathetic. The other group also believes in honesty and facts and true science. Pointing this out may be "tribal" in your mind. To me it is simply the TRUTH. So, your point is?

Last edited:
@Stratman68:
You know I cannot mention them. I would love to. How about an analogy of sorts. So, 2 groups. One group does NOT care about others needs if they don't look the same as their group, or worship differently than their group. They do noy show any empathy for others outside their group and they do NOT believe in facts and truth.. The other group is quite logical, compassionate and empathetic. The other group also believes in honesty and facts and true science. Pointing this out may be "tribal" in your mind. To me it is simply the TRUTH. So, your point is?
See, I know a lot of folks in the group you're painting as nasty, there, and none of them match your description. Some of them are the best human beings I have ever known, and I nearly despair of having their levels of integrity, compassion, and intellect.

In fact, if I were from a different country, I would not be able to recognize, from your description, that you were talking about the folks I have in mind.

But, being from the U.S., and recognizing those popular caricatures, I'm pretty confident I know who you're talking about. And as a result, I see the kind of thing you're saying as wildly unfair -- a libel nearly on the level of The Protocols of the Elders of Zion. Now, of course I know that a lot of my fellow Americans hold such caricatures -- how could they not, given the ignorant way these folks are routinely depicted by hostile screenwriters? -- but I can still get along with Americans who hold such views by changing the subject whenever they indulge in that kind of stereotyping.

(That's the only option, usually, because 95% of the time it simply isn't possible to change anyone's mind.)

But look where we are now: You and I are ducking around the names. You and I have completely different notions of the facts-on-the-ground regarding these two groups -- although we're really arguing about proportions, because of course I acknowledge some single-digit percentage of the group we're quarreling over matches your description, but I think it's single-digits and you think it's 99%.

So here we are, doing all of this meta-political bobbing and weaving

In a thread about COVID-19. (Theoretically.)

Nuts.

Last edited:
@Stratman68:

See, I know a lot of folks in the group you're painting as nasty, there, and none of them match your description. Some of them are the best human beings I have ever known, and I nearly despair of having their levels of integrity, compassion, and intellect.

In fact, if I were from a different country, I would not be able to recognize, from your description, that you were talking about the folks I have in mind.

But, being from the U.S., and recognizing those popular caricatures, I'm pretty confident I know who you're talking about. And as a result, I see the kind of thing you're saying as wildly unfair -- a libel nearly on the level of The Protocols of the Elders of Zion. Now, of course I know that a lot of my fellow Americans hold such caricatures -- how could they not, given the ignorant way these folks are routinely depicted by screenwriters? -- but I can still get along with Americans who hold such views by changing the subject whenever they indulge in that kind of stereotyping.

(That's the only option, usually, because 95% of the time it simply isn't possible to change anyone's mind.)

But look where we are now: You and I are ducking around the names. You and I have completely different notions of the facts-on-the-ground regarding these two groups -- although we're really arguing about proportions, because of course I acknowledge some single-digit percentage of the group we're quarreling over matches your description, but I think it's single-digits and you think it's 99%.

In a thread about COVID-19.

Theoretically.
Well said. Thank you for that.

To sort of balance all the analytical discussions, and maybe to give an upbeat and musical contribution: just posted this song (“Shutdown”) on Youtube - this song would not have happened if this pandemic would not have touched our lives, and I hope the song triggers people to find the positive out of something that is catastrophic for many people mentally, physically or economically.

All guitars, acoustic (Taylor) and electric (Fender Strat de Luxe) recorded using the AXE-FXIII, particularly like the Strat tone for the solo and outtro, let me know what you think…

It started with a text that a friend of mine (Dave Mangene) posted on his socials, which described the feelings of despair, hope and love related to the Shutdown.

Somehow, the lines stuck in my head. Having my acoustic guitar in a different tuning than normal, (DADGAD) a melody and groove came up, and in one day I wrote, arranged and recorded the music & vocals and sent Dave the tune, who had no clue I had worked on it.

That triggered a creative energy and remarkable 'togetherness', where others got involved and where we all from our quarantine homes in different cities worked to bring the song alive with a video in less than a week. This would not have happened if this pandemic hadn’t happened, and even if no soul would listen to this, it has enriched our lives in many ways!

As I write this, we're still in the middle of the pandemic and partial shutdown here in The Netherlands as well, hope we all get through this and wake up in a better world!

R.A.D.I.

That was the best post in any COVID-19 thread anywhere. Very cool tune. Thanks for sharing that.

To sort of balance all the analytical discussions...let me know what you think…
I loved it.

"Don't believe everything you think." Heh. I don't!

We guesses, we guesses, we makes our bets, we takes our chances.

The outro in the video reminded me a bit of the old Dire Straits "Money for Nothing" video.

Disclaimer: We're from the same tribe.
Your bias is showing BADLY in the above paragraph. You're describing the fringe (albeit a pretty large teepee these days) of the 'other'
side. There's plenty of agnostic, science/truth/fact believing, and compassionate injuns across the river.

Plus, we have plenty of loco in our tribe too!

Hey, cool! :mask:

Here's a ironical palate cleanser:
https://scrappleface.com/blog/2020/04/17/rise-up-america-demands-return-to-dead-end-jobs/

And here's the buzzkilliest of buzzkills from your friends at the WHO:
https://thehill.com/policy/internat...imits-on-alcohol-consumption-during-lockdowns
Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ale.jpg
I'm joking, a bit, about the WHO piece. Of course I know you can't kill coronavirus by getting drunk or whatever. Of course people shouldn't overindulge; of course that can have bad health effects, et cetera, et cetera, et alia, ad infinitum, ad nauseam, fifteen yaddas and a yeah, yeah.

But I, like, never have a beer most normal weeks. A bottle of bourbon typically lasts me from Christmas until the following Halloween. So now I'm stuck in quarantine with my family, it's not like I'm going to drive anywhere, it's a beautiful day and I'm just sitting on my porch with the dog at my feet, looking at this beautiful blue sky, and here comes some bureaucrat from the WHO waving his waggly-finger at me, telling me not to increase my alcohol consumption?

Frak that and frell that and to hairy hell with that. Today, I'm having a beer.

Last edited:

That is a wide brush you are painting with your generalizations. Complete bullshit.

Today, I'm having a beer.
small biz muscled aside yet again

source.gif

P.S. Have a beer for me too.

Was watching footage of the folks who are starting to protest in public over 'stay at home' orders.
Started in Michigan yesterday and it looks to be catching on.
Lots of flags and 'don't tread on me' stuff.

Made me think of the movie Gran Torino and something Roger Ebert wrote about it:

Walt was the classic 'don' tread on me' kind of guy.
Pretty sure he'd be yelling DUMBASSES at his TV over this sort of stupidity.

200415135242-02-lansing-coronavirus-protest-0415-exlarge-169.jpg
And now we have tweets with “liberate xyz state” while officially the states have been asked to decide how to re-open.

What a circus ! Even a raging pandemic cannot get these clowns to stop with partisan politics.

That was really cool thanks for sharing :)
You guys did a really great job on a very cool song Shut Down.
I really did enjoy it thank you From the panhandle of Florida.
Many thanks! We are all in this together... Music gives comfort I’d like to think...

That was the best post in any COVID-19 thread anywhere. Very cool tune. Thanks for sharing that.
Thx for the compliment!

I loved it.

"Don't believe everything you think." Heh. I don't!

We guesses, we guesses, we makes our bets, we takes our chances.

The outro in the video reminded me a bit of the old Dire Straits "Money for Nothing" video.
Thx man!
I’d have check that MfN vid out again!

And now we have tweets with “liberate xyz state” while officially the states have been asked to decide how to re-open.

What a circus ! Even a raging pandemic cannot get these clowns to stop with partisan politics.
I always default to listening to the experts. Even if they’re not 100% sure of best strategy/path, I’m 100% sure it’s better than listening to people who are 100% sure with 0% clue what the f*** is going on.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...as-big-holes-health-experts-say-idUSKBN21Z383

That is a wide brush you are painting with your generalizations. Complete bullshit.
Yes it is. I am not saying that all members of one group are guilty of the atrocities I mentioned. What I am saying is , for the most part, the cult inside the other group are guilty of this and the whole leadership of that group definitely is. . Liberate Michigan?????? Gosh wonder how that will work out, American vs American. I have friends in the "other group". Family also. But they all show and have empathy and caring and offer help.
Oh what's the point. Sorry if it hurt your feelings, but one group stinks, plain and simple. Also do not confuse my use of the term "groups" to mean political parties. It doesn't. It is the mindset of the 2 groups. That's all!~
I fought a war , for real, against a people I did not know. I sure as hell do not want to fight a war against fellow Americans. The war on science and facts has to stop., for all of us, for Every American. Period.

Yes it is. I am not saying that all members of one group are guilty of the atrocities I mentioned. What I am saying is , for the most part, the cult inside the other group are guilty of this and the whole leadership of that group definitely is. . Liberate Michigan?????? Gosh wonder how that will work out, American vs American. I have friends in the "other group". Family also. But they all show and have empathy and caring and offer help.
Oh what's the point. Sorry if it hurt your feelings, but one group stinks, plain and simple. Also do not confuse my use of the term "groups" to mean political parties. It doesn't. It is the mindset of the 2 groups. That's all!~
I fought a war , for real, against a people I did not know. I sure as hell do not want to fight a war against fellow Americans. The war on science and facts has to stop., for all of us, for Every American. Period.

Again, you are "grouping" people with broad strokes of that biased brush you own. And that you thought you hurt my feelings is another reach on your part. Something to consider... you made the comment that "One group does NOT care about others needs if they don't look the same as their group, or worship differently than their group." And yet you just called out that "other group" not a particular person but a whole group of people you don't know and slandered them because they don't conform to your groups thought process. Oh the irony.

Again, you are "grouping" people with broad strokes of that biased brush you own. And that you thought you hurt my feelings is another reach on your part. Something to consider... you made the comment that "One group does NOT care about others needs if they don't look the same as their group, or worship differently than their group." And yet you just called out that "other group" not a particular person but a whole group of people you don't know and slandered them because they don't conform to your groups thought process. Oh the irony.
I don't want to derail the thread so I'll just say "you have no idea what I am talking about I guess. I am talking ONLY about that sub group (the cult) inside the the group. If you want to tell me that is wrong then you are the one throwing the BS or drinking the kool-aid my friend. READ the sentence with the capitalized "only" in it. If I were allowed to use the actual WORDS it would be easier to explain, but then again, that one sentence I reference is pretty easy.....

I don't want to derail the thread so I'll just say "you have no idea what I am talking about I guess. I am talking ONLY about that sub group (the cult) inside the the group. If you want to tell me that is wrong then you are the one throwing the BS or drinking the kool-aid my friend. READ the sentence with the capitalized "only" in it. If I were allowed to use the actual WORDS it would be easier to explain, but then again, that one sentence I reference is pretty easy.....

I know exactly what you are talking about. Just pointing out that you are yourself guilty of the very thing you are condemning others for. Carry on. :)

Stay safe!

Last edited:
I know exactly what you are talking about. Just pointing out that you are yourself guilty of the very thing you are condemning others for. Carry on. :)

Stay safe!
Oh Cmon. We have clearly seen who Trump is and clearly seen the people who go to his rallies. Stratman couldn’t be more accurate in his description. We all know it. Not all of us want to admit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom