Covid-19 Pandemic Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Dr. Dipwad

Looks like the goverment might be thinking along the same lines as you are.

http://a.msn.com/01/en-ca/BB12rvOr?ocid=scu2
Not nearly tests are enough being produced to get people back to work though. Production needs to be vastly ramped up for antibody and regular tests.

I understand ignoring the news but that leads to not holding people accountable who become complacent. The administration’s feet need to be constantly held to the fire. Ignorance isn’t bliss here.

What's the status of effective tests? I read some on this a week ago and there were lots of reports that current testing, particularly the rapid tests, are generating false negatives. Apparently the test that China developed could take several tries in some cases to get a correct positive result. And there's plenty of anecdotal reports that people with all of the symptoms (breathing, lost of taste/smell, etc) were testing negative.

Slightly off-topic: Anyone's work situation negatively affected by this? I'm lucky enough to still have a job as my line of tech support is considered "essential" but a lot of my friends with restaurant jobs and such are totally screwed.

Also patiently waiting for the stimulus check to blow on an Axe-FX III.

My work situation is fine, working from home is not much different than when I go to the office because the people I work closest with 95% of the time are in Seattle.

Very interesting data. Turns out it may be just as important or even more important to test for antibodies than it is to test for the virus. This information would also backup the speculation by some researchers that the virus has been around longer that originally thought.

I know quite a few people that were sick with what appeared to be just a regular cold, back in January, then a couple weeks later were hit by a flu-like cold, with a lot of the same symptoms as Covid-19, sore throat, aches, sniffles and fever. I remember a friend of mine, who works as a design engineer for Rolls Royce, said at least 8 people in his office all had the same flu-like cold.

Last edited:
Very interesting data. Turns out it may be just as important or even more important to test for antibodies than it is to test for the virus. This information would also backup the speculation by some researchers that the virus has been around longer that originally thought.

I know quite a few people that were sick with what appeared to be just a regular cold, back in January, then a couple weeks later were hit bit a flu-like cold, with a lot of the same symptoms as Covid-19, sore throat, aches, sniffles and fever. I remember a friend of mine, who works as a design engineer for Rolls Royce, said at least 8 people in his office all had the same flu-like cold.
No one better say anything , like if people I ignore can see my posts tell me, but now I think I had it in January 😳

Cell phone based "contact tracing" might be part of the solution to getting back out into society and to work (if privacy can be maximized at the same time).

MIT - based on GPS:

Singapore - open-source BT TraceTogether app

Google/Apple collab - uses BT (but will take months):

Privacy concerns:

1586561837751.png

The testing issue is being vastly and scarily ignored. The answer is who knows. We need someone to step up bigtime on this issue or we really are screwed until a vaccine.
How is it being "ignored"? We've done 2.54M+ of the most accurate tests available anywhere as of the time of this writing. All of the current testing in the US is rT-PCR, including the "15 minute" tests, which is state of the art. You can't do it any more accurately with today's technology. That, as far as I understand, was part of the reason why testing was delayed in the first place: less sophisticated tests (such as the ones used in e.g. Russia) have a lot of false negatives, which means they're only slightly better than no testing at all.

How is it being "ignored"? We've done 2.54M+ of the most accurate tests available anywhere as of the time of this writing. All of the current testing in the US is rT-PCR, including the "15 minute" tests, which is state of the art. You can't do it any more accurately with today's technology. That, as far as I understand, was part of the reason why testing was delayed in the first place: less sophisticated tests (such as the ones used in e.g. Russia) have a lot of false negatives, which means they're only slightly better than no testing at all.
Do a comparison of tests/deaths between the US and countries like Korea, Taiwan, and Singapore. The US is still an order of magnitude behind.

And the notion that there was some grand intent behind why testing was delayed is laughable. Dunno where you keep getting this stuff.

Do you know what an "order of magnitude" even means? Korea tested 9957 per million. We've tested 7760 per million and capacity is still ramping up quickly. Taiwan tested 1908 per million, far less than us. Singapore is a city-state, you're better off comparing it to e.g. NYC which tests at a rate nearly twice as high as Singapore.

Do you know what an "order of magnitude" even means? Korea tested 9957 per million. We've tested 7760 per million and capacity is still ramping up quickly. Taiwan tested 1908 per million, far less than us. Singapore is a city-state, you're better off comparing it to e.g. NYC which tests at a rate nearly twice as high as Singapore.
Read what I wrote again, we’re not talking about the same thing. Do you know what "tests/deaths" even means? :rolleyes: Hint, divided-by.

More virus spread (i.e. more deaths), more tests needed. Tests-per-million doesn't account for that, it's a bad performance metric.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom