Cover band guys!

I was wondering how much you get there for this kind of work, 3-4 sets 45 min/set & 15 min. break :roll.. I play here in Germany some cover bands, we play around 6-7 hours, 3-4 songs & 5 min. break, from 8 to 02, and the payment is 50-60 Euro/hour...I only use 4-5 presets, every preset with 5 scenes... most of the time it's enough when you have a good clean, crunch and distorted sound..

If you are just gonna have a generic clean, crunch, heavy & lead tone to cover 99% of the set, then just take a little Peavey or Fender tube amp with a tiny pedalboard. The Axe-II is overkill....

firstly, there's nothing "generic" about the tones i get from the axe fx
secondly, who the hell are you to tell us what we should or shouldn't be using on our gigs?
and thirdly, i use the axe for other stuff as well, so can i keep mine? :)

97% of the songs I do with 5 patches (vibroverb, ac30tb, trainwreck, brown, legacy), all build the same way, as a huge virtual pedalboard.

My liquid-foot+ Pro+ is the key factor in my setup. With it's flexibility, grouping, 30 buttons,... I have access to everything I need. Most used FX are 5 different drives and 4 different delays and of course wah.

But I could do a gig with a 3-channel amp, a wah and a delay.

firstly, there's nothing "generic" about the tones i get from the axe fx
secondly, who the hell are you to tell us what we should or shouldn't be using on our gigs?
and thirdly, i use the axe for other stuff as well, so can i keep mine? :)

Sorry Simeon,

There a vote at the UN last week & willowdale is now the head of Global Guitar Operations. You have to do as he says or face sanctions.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Sorry Simeon,

There a vote at the UN last week & willowdale is now the head of Global Guitar Operations. You have to do as he says or face sanctions.

cce.png

I'm doing 80's cover material. Working on Tone matched and ballpark tones from the original or live recordings. It all depends on the room and the volume!!!

Thank you .... Goodnight!!

If you are just gonna have a generic clean, crunch, heavy & lead tone to cover 99% of the set, then just take a little Peavey or Fender tube amp with a tiny pedalboard. The Axe-II is overkill....
Unless that Peavey or Fender doesn't have the Shiva clean, Vox crunch, Marshall heavy and Dumble lead tones you're looking for. Or you use more than one IR. Or your presets include a wide array of different types of effects. Or you want to change Bass Cut, or Transformer Match, or...well, you get the idea. ;)

I love my Axe FxII for my coverband gigs. We do everything from Katy Perry, Madonna, Chic to Journey and GnR. I'm always confident that no matter what our singer throws at us I can guarantee a great tone to compliment the song and I don't feel like I have to compromise eg like using my VH patch for Journey, it's just not that hard to dial up a unique tone for each of these bands and still sound great. (Wow that reads like a magazine blurb, lol).

Yeah we play lady gaga, White Zombie, Aerosmith, Nine Inch Nails, Brad Paisley, Stevie Wonder, Guns N Roses, Jason Aldean, Bon jovi etc... I need a patch for anything and everything. I was thinking we could get song specific patches since I'm sure we all cover many of the same songs.

I have a generic clean (Shiva), a Crunch based on the Marshall AFD for classic rock, heavy crunch for the metal stuff based on the 5150 block, my lead tones are JVM for classic stuff, 5150 for 80's, and I have 2 presets for classic country (compression, EQ'd bright, trainwreck, reverb, and tremolo) and one for Modern Country (Heavier, Recto, harmonizer (everything is in D), with longer delay times). Finally I have a patch for Sublime songs since that requires many different effects.

My approach mixes "preset for multiple songs" and "preset for each song"
Every song still gets a preset, but some presets share a common rig.
I gig with backing tracks and cue songs at my feet so I use numbers - each song preset has the same number as its backing track song. Easier to associate and memorize.

This lets me use the huge preset memory of the axe-fx and my gordius little giant footswitch. The gordius has a 10-key function so I have instant random access to any preset and song in my show. For presets/songs that "share" a rig, the rig is still tweaked to fit that song like a glove and therefore gets its own preset.

For presets sharing a common rig, the preset name becomes a mashup of song titles.
For example:
"Your mamma don't rollover" (mamma don't dance, roll over beethoven)
"U really got Louie"
"Brick Word Jam" (Brick House, Word Up, We're Jammin)
"Cruel Little Pretty" (Don't be cruel, Little Sister, Pretty Woman)

Strange as it is, it makes dialing new firmware easier because the preset name tells me how many songs/presets use that rig. I just reset amps for those presets/songs and I'm done, but the song-specific tweaks are preserved.

When you reset amps, don't you lose any song specific tweaks you made to the amp block?

I think this post has some good info and ideas. One of the coolest things about the Axe Fx is that you have the power, all in one box, to get some of the "signature" tones. I can understand how time consuming it could be to try and dial in every song exactly, but once you've got it, you've got it. We heard a cover band a couple of months ago where the lead guitar player was nailing the playing, but the guitar tone was just a "generic" rock tone for every song. They played some old VH and I remember thinking, "man, if he could just get closer to the early VH tone, they would sound so much better". There were songs that started with a cool guitar intro, but it just wasn't recognizable at first due to the guitar tone being off. Probably just us guitar guys notice these things.

I think this post has some good info and ideas. One of the coolest things about the Axe Fx is that you have the power, all in one box, to get some of the "signature" tones. I can understand how time consuming it could be to try and dial in every song exactly, but once you've got it, you've got it. We heard a cover band a couple of months ago where the lead guitar player was nailing the playing, but the guitar tone was just a "generic" rock tone for every song. They played some old VH and I remember thinking, "man, if he could just get closer to the early VH tone, they would sound so much better". There were songs that started with a cool guitar intro, but it just wasn't recognizable at first due to the guitar tone being off. Probably just us guitar guys notice these things.

exactly. i think 99% of people won't know the difference if it's not spot on. Unless your using a scooped out metal tone to play country or some mid gain chimey vox thing to play hard rock, I don't think people that aren't players get it. they aren't thinking "a variac modded plexi tone would sound so much better than that more modern Marshall tone for this old VH tune, it's totally killing my vibe...."

Holy shit! you sir are AMAZING..!

Here is our set, screenshots from itunes. i have them set up in the order we play them. we'll obviously change things up if people are making requests but we stick to it as much as we can.

I fall somewhere in between. We cover Classic Rock - Modern Hard Rock. The strongest emphasis in the 80's. We are a high energy rock cover band.

I have 5 banks 4 presets each. Each bank is set up for a genre.my banks are set up preset 1 rhythm 2 "wild card" 3 clean 4 lead.

1st bank is my Classic Rock stuff. Plexi tone with a boost on deck for fills The #2 is my special preset for Love Song by Tesla. I use XY for dirty snd clean. I have a fast Leslie sound and one of my I/A switches that both slows the leslie and kicks in a boost for the intro.

I have a bank set up for hair metal, another bank that's just generic, I use it most of the time it sounds somewhat modern. 5150 based.

I have a bank that's for the non-hair metal 80's . The rhythm is Mark IV. My "wild card" is what I use to do the keyboard parts in Separate Ways by Journey. Not a synth sound but a patch with some fuzz & chorus to get that vibe then the right delay for the verses.
The clean in that bank is set up for Your Love by the Outfield with some clean boosts & special compression.

My 5th bank is all modern. Used to be Recto but I just couldn't dial it well so I have been using the EVH.

does the crowd get all of what I am doing? Probably not. Do I think it does help with the sounds being a little more authentic o the average listener? Probably more on a subconscious level. Does it make playing all of these covers more fun for me and my bandmates? With out a doubt!

yeah, we play 60-70 songs a night and i cover it with one patch and x/y settings in the amp and fx blocks....and that's everything from dwight yoakam to jason aldean to keith urban to zz top to bon jovi to travi tritt to johnny cash (you get the picture).

Care to share it?

Back
Top Bottom