Cousin Shawn's Video Debut

Genghis

Power User
A few of you may remember that a couple of months ago I posted about wanting to buy an easy to play instrument for my cousin Shawn, who has Down Syndrome. He loves music so much that I wanted to get him just one more step into it. The top suggestion was for a nice Dulcimer, and he loved it when I gave it to him on March 22nd. Although it is a bit difficult to show him how to fret the strings, he definitely enjoys strumming that open D5 chord and doing his Elvis thing.

I finally had a chance to get him in the studio and let him have some fun last weekend. I try to do that every so often and we were overdue on letting him do his thing. The song is dedicated to a very close friend and mentor of mine named Pawtoo. I started with a very simple percussion loop to give Shawn a timing reference, and I coached him a bit on strumming the open chord, somewhat in time. :) Then I added some guitar and simple synth bass to give it a bit more variety.

Next up Shawn did his thing in front of the microphone. I didn't think to get the camera rolling when he was playing the dulcimer, but next time I will. You can see him in this one doing what he loves to do the most. Singing his heart out! I wanted to share this with you guys as a thank you for the responses on that thread a couple of months ago, and I figure some of you may enjoy seeing my cuz and his enthusiasm for music!

Thanks for checking it out guys. We have fun doing this. Got him more involved in singing about a year ago. He was always singing along at our rehearsals so I decided it was time to let him at it and do aome stuff. I love the way he just belta it out right from the heart. Been a big inspiration to me to just enjoy life to the fullest.

Back
Top Bottom