Couple questions

GuyJames

Inspired
1. Do you guys like to create duplicate presets for each guitar to get the best out of that guitar or do you just tweak with one guitar and then use other guitars with success enjoying the difference in eq/gain from the different pickups?

2. Whenever I turn on my unit the Wah is always on in my preset. Any experience with this is? How can I stop that.

3. One more thing relating to the wah, I use a Control Switch to switch between Volume expression and Wah Expression. The control switch is assigned to my bottom right foot switch but when its assigned to the TAP function the ring light is illuminated when the Wah is off and when I turn the Wah on the light goes off... I'd like it the other way around. Any thoughts? As of now I just assign it to the hold feature because it's annoying to have the light on when the wah isn't actually active.

For #1 I don't expect tones to be the same for different guitars. I have different guitars because I WANT them to sound different. I like low-to-moderate gain tones because they really highlight the tone of the guitar. Switching between pickup positions, guitars, changing volume knob, all have a HUGE effect for lower gain. Very dynamic.

I tweak across various guitars/pickups and adjust to allow for the range of tones I'd like. So I try with a tele and a superstrat or Les Paul or what-have-you and optimize the total tonal range I can cover.

For #1 I don't expect tones to be the same for different guitars. I have different guitars because I WANT them to sound different. I like low-to-moderate gain tones because they really highlight the tone of the guitar. Switching between pickup positions, guitars, changing volume knob, all have a HUGE effect for lower gain. Very dynamic.

I tweak across various guitars/pickups and adjust to allow for the range of tones I'd like. So I try with a tele and a superstrat or Les Paul or what-have-you and optimize the total tonal range I can cover.
I wouldn't try to make them all sound the same but the advantage of fractal is that we can get the "best" out of each guitar per preset. I don't know I just find that my single cut hum bucker sounds to dark and to much gain compared to my low output Strat on the same preset but if I make a preset for the single cut and just adjust things appropriate it comes to life.

I make versions of the same preset for my individual guitars. Opinions vary on this subject. No rules other than make it sound good in whatever way you want.

I wouldn't try to make them all sound the same but the advantage of fractal is that we can get the "best" out of each guitar per preset. I don't know I just find that my single cut hum bucker sounds to dark and to much gain compared to my low output Strat on the same preset but if I make a preset for the single cut and just adjust things appropriate it comes to life.
What happens when you optimize for the SC and then try the strat through it? I generally do this, and then trim the highs a bit if the tele gets icepick-y. To me the tele SHOULD be lower gain, it's got tons of articulation, and I can push the amp enough by playing like I mean it.

I make versions of the same preset for my individual guitars. Opinions vary on this subject. No rules other than make it sound good in whatever way you want.
Agreed, though it becomes a logistical problem for me. If I can love multiple guitars into a single preset, all the better.

If you’re a ride the volume player, you can dip down for lower gain and then up for rhythm and have a drive(s) plus there’s the amp boost. 4 channels, 4 guitars right there. And I’m assuming you have the FM9 so really you have 8 channels. Easy to make 1 preset work for your guitars.

Answer for 1:
I solved this question by taking the problem the other way around....I make sure that my guitars are all mounted with pickups that have fairly similar output levels. Generally a Seymour Duncan TB4 / SH1-N or SH2-N couple, except for the Kiesel which keeps the Alan holdsworth pickups.
This allows me to have a single patch for my concerts and to be able to change guitars easily.
I also have a small option to increase the gain by 2db in the Input block that I can activate if necessary.

1. Do you guys like to create duplicate presets for each guitar to get the best out of that guitar or do you just tweak with one guitar and then use other guitars with success enjoying the difference in eq/gain from the different pickups?
I tweaked with multiple guitars, and find a good overall sound.

I bought my single-coils and humbuckers because I enjoy the difference in their sound. What would be the point of buying different guitars and making them sound the same? It makes more sense to buy similar models of the same guitar at that point.

The only thing I occasionally adjust is the input gain. The "Global Input 1 Gain" on the FM9 is a global setting that can be added to the Global Performance Page. If I grab a different guitar I can quickly tab to that page and adjust the input gain if I don't like how it's hitting the Amp block on any preset. It only takes a decibel or two to make a single-coil hit it harder.

I use two similarly spec’d PRS guitars that can both handle humbucker and single (split) coil sounds. That way, if I happen to break a string during a show, my second comes into play and no preset swaps are required.

Back
Top Bottom