Couple of hours with my XL+

serge20261

Inspired
I received my Axe fx today,It came loaded with Firmware 8.01,are there any adjustments I should be making?
Not totally happy with the sound,ATM it's sounding boxy,I'm going thru a RCF NX12 FRFR,the same FRFR Ive been using with my Kemper.
I've also noticed that Bank A for XL+ is available are they totally different presets or improved originals

The new Bank A presets are a combination of improved original presets and some new presets (I remember seeing a Satch preset that wasn't on the previous preset bank I downloaded).

I've found I've needed to adjust stock presets to match my gear and setup (and ears). Probably just a fact of life. Definitely try with the new presets though - there have been significant changes in the last few updates.

You really have to experiment with cab IR's to get it sounding right for you and your setup. It wasn't until I shot an IR of my own cab and used that instead that everything clicked into place sonically.

If you can play a riff into a looper and have it repeat endlessly you can then cycle through the various cabs on offer and see what effect they have and above all which are to your liking and which aren't.

If you can play a riff into a looper and have it repeat endlessly you can then cycle through the various cabs on offer and see what effect they have and above all which are to your liking and which aren't.
I put a looper patch in and recorded it,and then played the loop,any changes I made, went unnoticed there was no change regardless if I was EQ changing cabs no effect
don't know what I was doing wrong

I put a looper patch in and recorded it,and then played the loop,any changes I made, went unnoticed there was no change regardless if I was EQ changing cabs no effect
don't know what I was doing wrong

The looper block needs to be before the block(s) you're adjusting.

I received my Axe fx today,It came loaded with Firmware 8.01,are there any adjustments I should be making?
Not totally happy with the sound,ATM it's sounding boxy,I'm going thru a RCF NX12 FRFR,the same FRFR Ive been using with my Kemper.
I've also noticed that Bank A for XL+ is available are they totally different presets or improved originals

Was the Kemper more "plug and play" than the Axe Fx, right from the start? Just curious as never played one.

I was using my PRS McCarty 594 PAF style humbuckers

I've got a LP, and it sounds extremely similar to the 594. I, too, felt that the sound I was getting from the Axe was a bit boxy and somewhat dark compared to my KPA, however after much screwing around I ultimately concluded that this really comes down to IR selection. It seems that many of the stock cabs in the Axe are fairly mid range oriented using my LP, and that has practically everything to do with it. Here's what I'd recommend. Try running the Kemper into the loop of the Axe FX via the 4 cable method and disable the KPA's amp section. Then try using some of the Axe FX's amps with the Kemper's cabs. The Kemper has some fantastic cabs -- better than most highly rated third party IR's, in my opinion. I'd recommend running the Kemper in the loop of the Axe FX either way because it'll allow you to use the Axe's outstanding array of effects with the KPA. If you need any help with this, let me know.

Was the Kemper more "plug and play" than the Axe Fx, right from the start? Just curious as never played one.

I know you're asking him, however being a current owner of both (Axe FX and Kemper) I feel compelled to respond. In my opinion, the Kemper is the most plug and play modeler of them all. However, the Axe FX is far more versatile. The key to the Kemper's plug and play'ability is its cabs, in my opinion. Every cab is mic'd specifically for whatever amp is used in a given profile, thus every profile includes an original and unique IR, but more importantly, a lot of the cabs in the KPA just sound good. As an experiment, I tried pairing many of the Kemper's cabs with the Axe's amps and, using my guitar, they really flesh out and demonstrate just how awesome of the Axe's amps sound. In conjunction with the Kemper's cabs, the Axe's amps sound every bit as good as the Kemper's(even better in some ways).

Anyway, to bring this back around to the topic, like the OP, with my guitar a lot of the stock cabs in the Axe tended to sound a little boxy and muffled, but that was an easy fix in my case. With the right IR's, the Axe sounds absolutely stunning.

Last edited:
I know you're asking him, however being a current owner of both (Axe FX and Kemper) I feel compelled to respond. In my opinion, the Kemper is the most plug and play modeler of them all. However, the Axe FX is far more versatile. The key to the Kemper's plug and play'ability is its cabs, in my opinion. Every cab is mic'd specifically for whatever amp is used in a given profile, thus every profile includes an original and unique IR, but more importantly, a lot of the cabs in the KPA just sound good. As an experiment, I tried pairing many of the Kemper's cabs with the Axe's amps and, using my guitar, they really flesh out and demonstrate just how awesome of the Axe's amps sound. In conjunction with the Kemper's cabs, the Axe's amps sound every bit as good as the Kemper's(even better in some ways).

Anyway, to bring this back around to the topic, like the OP, with my guitar a lot of the stock cabs in the Axe tended to sound a little boxy and muffled, but that was an easy fix in my case. With the right IR's, the Axe sounds absolutely stunning.
You caught my interest about those kemper cabs, do you know if they're exportable as IRs or if they're available for download/purchase somewhere?

You caught my interest about those kemper cabs, do you know if they're exportable as IRs or if they're available for download/purchase somewhere?

The Kemper doesn't have an export option for its cabs, though some commercial vendors who make profiles for the Kemper also sell IR's. 3 Sigma Audio is one such example. One workaround is to use the Axe's built-in IR capture utility to capture the KPA's cab section in UltraRes format. I've captured about 9 so far, though I've narrowed it down to approx. 4 or 5 that I use 90% of the time. These work extremely well with my guitar (Les Paul with Humbuckers) but may be entirely too bright for someone else.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom