Country Rock

Don't know if they will be of any use, but here's a couple of my Nuclear Tone presets. The 'regular' Swart has 4 scenes from clean to lead, the Stadium just has the one scene that I've messed with.

Attachments

• JoKeR III Stadium Swart.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 7
  • JoKeR III Swart (Nuclear Tone).syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 7
I largely agree that they can be easily played with any type of TS/Marshall combo, but those two songs (amongst others ive heard) just sound a bit different in character to me tone wise. Usually when i play live since i have to play hard rock and shred a bit for many songs, i tend to go marshall and TS. My last gig i went with a Brit 800 edge of breakup and Suhr Riot for my gain and liked it alot. Anytime ive tried Class A or fender type stuff it never quite gets me into the “soloing” territory, unless I completely change my style of playing. But ive just been bored so trying to make the tele country rock thing work because these guys cover alot of tonal ground :)
my main gigging preset in Nashville was a DC30....maybe try stacking a couple of drives to push it over the edge solo wise. I think one of the keys to Fractal drives is more level and less actual gain, so cascading gain stages can take you in some wonderful directions.

I played in a modern country band for years--lots of harder rock style stuff like Jason Aldean, Florida Georgia Line, etc. My favorite way to approach this on the Fractal is the Atomica Hi model. It's got girth and punch, but is never overly saturated, so you get great string clarity and it's not overly bright like some of the Marshall models can be. My starting point was an Austin Buddy preset, which I think was Atomica #2. I adjusted very slightly. I was mostly playing a Telecaster with Duncan Quarter Pound pickups or a PRS.

Edit: After listening to the clips again from the OP. I would also suggest the Bad Cat Hot Cat model with an open back 2x12 IR.

Was hoping you'd chime in. :)

Les Paul into a Marshall on one side (with an older Peavey 6505+ also in the rack?),
Wolfgang EVH into an EVH 5150 on the other side. And live amps/cabs on a stage
when I've been told over and over that those have been outlawed. ;)

More rock than a lot of rock these days.

Les Paul into a Marshall on one side (with an older Peavey 6505+ also in the rack?),

That may as well be just hard rock lmao. It sounds great and is what I normally go for sound wise, but it’s not that country gain lol

This song is a staple in my band's set list. I use what I always have since AX8 - Friedman 2018. Believe gain is around 4.

Nice ill try the band commander model as well. Was having decent success with two bad cats yesterday. Two bad cats with a blues Od was getting close. The other important thing is what cabs to use for this type of tone?
I use the Band Commander (with Micro Boost if needed) for songs Beer In My Hand, Tennessee Whiskey, Drinkin' Bone, Dust On The Bottle.

I attempt to play pedal steel, along with mandolin and a 5 string dojo. Looking forward to getting an FM9 turbo, so I won't have to lug around my pedal board ( in a Brady rolling case)
I'll be interested to see if any pedal steel guitar players jump on the FM9 train.

I’m not a country player but this thread is great for ideas! I will chime in and second a 4 switch on a Tele and the JBE Modern set gives a huge array of tones. I’m a rock player but I can get it to twang out too for sure.

Bro country is def 80's rock with twang and pickups. I'm not mad at it. At least it was, more hip hop influence these days but some of those songs are a blast to play.

one of my fav bands...first couple of albums are so good. Killer southern rock/country vibe. Lead singer is Jaren Johnson who's written some of the biggest hits in Nashville, but they have such a great sound.

Another one i just heard on my latest country binge.

Plenty of distortion to play a hard rock song if you wanted but its got that twang flavor that’s different than a marshall. Its cool and i need to become more familiar with the variax tele models and these amp types to get this tone. Is it more like the Marshall strategy where you have a cranked amp and a tubescreamer? Or cleaner amp relying on pedal distortion type strategy?

So right dude. It’s basically hair metal with teles and twang lol I love it
pretty much , because a lot of the 80s guitar players I think ran to Nashville when shred was not cool anymore and became session guys

They also detune like drop D of some stuff Daddy Wont sell the farm and some of Montgomery Gentry was drop D

I would say Bro Country is 80s rock crossed with like Lynard Skynard , Black Crows, John Cougar

Another one i just heard on my latest country binge.

Plenty of distortion to play a hard rock song if you wanted but its got that twang flavor that’s different than a marshall. Its cool and i need to become more familiar with the variax tele models and these amp types to get this tone. Is it more like the Marshall strategy where you have a cranked amp and a tubescreamer? Or cleaner amp relying on pedal distortion type strategy?

different bands do different things but I would say its strategy is don't over gain the amp or push it too hard with the pedal either
You want the amp something like a Matchless or Badcat just on the edge of breakup, then you want a clean boost pedal like Klon , EP booster etc to push it a bit more into saturation but never going into heavy distortion , strategy 2 would be stacking drives and just using a pedal platform amp like the Archon clean is great for that. and actually gets used in Nashville a bit

Back
Top Bottom