Country/Motown/etc tone help

kevrock

Experienced
So I'm mostly a high gain guy. And I have my standard clean patches. My question is what are some tips for getting
1 bright ultra clean Motown funky Clean setting. (Like daft punk get lucky song)
2 thick country gain like rascall flatt or jason Alden luke Bryan shit. Lol. (Cover band wants to expand. Lol )
3 any other modern county sound tips
4. Am radio sound
5 dick dale surf sound.
Sorry for so many. It's easy to find high gain advise. Just these kinda tones kinda elude me. Thanks for any help

Last edited:
You can try the TX Star preset and see how close that gets you. Also, the Concert is a great amp for clean and compressed.

I'm also interested in this. Any tips on modern rock country tones? Sounds like some crunch/heavy tones on some of the newer stuff.

Most of those guys are playing PRS or LP's into Bogners or Boogies. As far as twangier/Tele type country, I prefer the DC30 and an OH can with an alnico silver in it.

1 bright ultra clean Motown funky Clean setting. (Like daft punk get lucky song)

From Nile Rodgers Guitar Player inteview... (Nile Rodgers | GuitarPlayer)

How did you record your guitar on the classic Chic records?

It was mostly my guitar on the neck pickup, direct into a Neve console with some compression, with maybe a touch of miked amp blended in. Onstage, Bernard and I had matching Sunn cabinets, and I used a Fender Bassman or Music Man head. My amps haven’t changed since Stevie Ray Vaughan died. When we were doing the Vaughan Brothers record, Peavey gave him a bunch of Classic 50s. He gave two to me, and I’ve been playing them ever since, because I love the sound, and because I’m emotionally attached to them. Stevie was a great friend. We use to hang out and play guitar together for hours on end.

I'd recommend reading the whole article though as his sound is about a lot more than the amp, it's a lot about pickup selection and especially touch/muting. Learning the correct way to do 'chucking' is a big part of capturing that sound.

Obviously with the gear listed above, your best bet is probably the 59 Bassguy set very clean. The Classic 50 is a 3 x 12ax7, with 4 EL84 in the power section. I'm not sure what amp will get you closest to that in the AxeFX arsenal.

Any advice for modern rock country? I've heard some higher gains on artists like thomas rhett, Luke Bryan, randy houser etc...

Thanks

Hi, for the Modern Country I use 4 different amps. MRZ 38 SR, RUBY ROCKET, TEXAS STAR LEAD,WRECKER 2..

Stated above what most of those modern/rock country guys play. Solid body HB guitars into Bogners and Boogies, for the most part. There are more Dual Recs in country now than Fender Twins....(not really, but getting there)

I play this type of music for a living. I use the DC30 into an OH 112 with an Alnico Silver for a lot of stuff, then the Dirty Shirley for the heavier stuff...but with the new OH cabs i'm finally getting the BE/HBE to sound how i want (i think) so i am redoing a bunch of heavier patches this week. I'm not a Boogie guy so I don't use those

Thanks guys, I'll give these amps a shot. The hard part is that I'm limited to my instruments.

Jackson dinky
EBMM Jp6
Epiphone
Shecter 7 string
Cheap LTD

[sarcasm] It's awesome being a lefty [/sarcasm]

Thanks guys, I'll give these amps a shot. The hard part is that I'm limited to my instruments.

Jackson dinky
EBMM Jp6
Epiphone
Shecter 7 string
Cheap LTD

[sarcasm] It's awesome being a lefty [/sarcasm]

(i play 3 LTD's live every week on broadway in Nashville. they kill. love me some LTD!

(i play 3 LTD's live every week on broadway in Nashville. they kill. love me some LTD!

I went to a local store here in abq. I was looking for a "leave the car/don't care about it" guitar for practice. I got an LTD for $50. I Hardly plug it, usually just practice on it when I'm not home. I really like it and I can't beat $50

I went to a local store here in abq. I was looking for a "leave the car/don't care about it" guitar for practice. I got an LTD for $50. I Hardly plug it, usually just practice on it when I'm not home. I really like it and I can't beat $50

i love mine, just great workhorse guitars. plus they have nice necks and big frets, so they all play pretty dang well. i'm going to buy some more, lol.

I got lucky finding a left handed one. There's not a big variety of left handed guitars out here. Guitar center usually has some crappy squier haha

So I'm mostly a high gain guy. And I have my standard clean patches. My question is what are some tips for getting
2 thick country gain like rascall flatt or jason Alden luke Bryan shit. Lol. (Cover band wants to expand. Lol )
3 any other modern county sound tips
4. Am radio sound
5 dick dale surf sound.
Sorry for so many. It's easy to find high gain advise. Just these kinda tones kinda elude me. Thanks for any help

Just commented about the country rock amps but also the Plexi's. As for funky tones, any clean fender will do the job. If you want surf, don't use humbuckers even if they're split, won't get you there. Otherwise any spanky clean fender washed in spring verb will do it. For AM radio tone try starting with the warped vinyl preset or simply limit the frequency band with EQ

Try a coil tap in your humbucker guitars to get more twang. Modern country sound more like 70's rock these days. It's beefier and grungier sounding. A lot more humbuckers and mid gain amps these days.

Old school AM radio has a pretty narrow frequency response of about 50 Hz to 3 kHz (FM radio is around 30Hz to 15 kHz). You can add a bit of backround noise and whine with the Synth block to make it more old school sounding too.

Dick Dale's kit of choice is supposed to be a vintage Strat with really heavy strings (strung upside down with the high E on top) into a standalone Fender Reverb unit and into a couple of Fender Dual Showman amps, each with two 15" JBL speakers. Having the Reverb unit before the amp makes a big difference in the tone and gives it that characteristic washed out surf guitar sound. The Dual Showman is basically the same as a Twin Reverb but with no reverb circuit and a 2x15" cab instead of the Twin Reverb's 2x12" cab. Spring reverb block into a Double Verb amp block into a 15" speaker IR should get you fairly close. Of course you have to be able to play like Dick too!

Back
Top Bottom