Country Amp suggestions

Rich G.

Experienced
So I grew up on Guitar Heros with Marshalls and never really gave Country Music much consideration.

But now I'm in a cover band playing all sorts of stuff. I'm a little lost when it comes to picking a signal chain for Country Music. I've been using an AC30 TB amp for this sort of thing, but it doesn't have that 'twang' to it.

Can I get a few recommendations on a typical signal chain or some default presets to use for Country Music? I'm using v10.

Not sure about any presets in the Axe per se, but I would suggest the Twin Reverb Or Maz 38 for amps to start with. Maybe use a bit of compression (pedal comp) depending on the guitar and sound you're going after. I tend to think of classic Telecaster into Fender type sounds with country, but country music is a bit different these days. A lot of it is technique as well. You'll probably get some more specific suggestions eventually. Also try using the search function.. might turn up some old threads that should still apply.

The super reverb with the 4x10 cab along with compression is a good start. V10 Super Reverb sounds identical to my original in my opinion. This is a good spot to start for a really clean sparkle for stuff like peaceful easy feeling. I am using the AC30 TB with the 2x12 silvers for the clean with hair on it. A lot of the country boutique amps like matchless are designed with this EL84 circuit in mind anyway. Hope this helps you.

I'm actually starting pre-production on a country record this week. Myself and the guitarist from the band were doing some preliminary scouting of amps from V10 today. Dr. Z is a winner, as are some of the Fenders and the Hi-Watt. Will update this post with what we used once we've got us some tones later in the week.

If she's cool with it, I'll share the patches we make. If she's anything like me, it'll be a no until the record is out, but you never know. No harm in asking.

Thanks for the input, guys!!

For guitar, I'm using an Anderson Drop Top with a HSS pickup config. The S's are stacked. I typically use the neck pickup for the country stuff.

What Cab would one use with a Dr. Z?

For that guitar, I might be inclined to try one of the Fender amps like the twin first- something a little scooped in the mids. I say that because I'm assuming that guitar might have some mid-emphasis already. I would honestly just start selecting different cabs until you land on one that seems close for what you want to hear. That's a huge part of making a preset for me- matching the amp to the cab based on the guitar I'm using. Might surprise you what you land on as well.

What Cab would one use with a Dr. Z?

I've not settled on cabs yet, there are so many new ones to try! However, the 1x12's and 2x12's are a good place to start. The Wiki will have some more specific suggestions, I'm sure.

For that guitar, I might be inclined to try one of the Fender amps like the twin first- something a little scooped in the mids. I say that because I'm assuming that guitar might have some mid-emphasis already. I would honestly just start selecting different cabs until you land on one that seems close for what you want to hear. That's a huge part of making a preset for me- matching the amp to the cab based on the guitar I'm using. Might surprise you what you land on as well.

I swapped out the original H3 to a H2+, and then finally to a Duncan SH4 (JB) which definitely has a mid-growl to it. The JB seems to be the pickup I gravitate towards since the 80's. I may swap it back to the H2+ for versatility sake.

For guitar, I'm using an Anderson Drop Top with a HSS pickup config. The S's are stacked. I typically use the neck pickup for the country stuff.

You'll have a hard time finding the twang there! ;-) Single coil bridge on a solid 25.5" guitar, somewhat thin strings, and without any kind of trem system. Then there's the right hand divin' in to make the twang 8)

Wasn't that amp called a Club and Country?

Anyways, the Mr. Z is based on a Dr. Z Maz 38 Sr.

Sorry yes the Club and Country ...

Thanks, for clearing that up. It's hard to find the amps that have been talked about over the past months by name. I'm looking for a clean amp to try my classical acoustic out on. I may try the Mr. Z.

Fender Twin was the king for years. Dr. Z seems to be the choice of the "new" country players. I played in country band for a year (was actually quite fun even though I'm a progressive/fusion guy) and used a Twin. Felt I was obligated to. ;-) Of course, I could never turn it up past 3. *LOL*

I believe Paisley uses a combination of Weber alnico blue & silver speakers with his Z's.

Had a chance to work on his tone a bit using the Mr Z w/ 2x12 silver mix and 2x12 blue mix (mics off). Using a 59 reissue w/ Duncan/Bonamassa pups. The key to getting close to the sound is in the Bass Tone control. backing way off (im at .9) gives a nice twang. my master @ 5, drive @ 2.92. bright on, use hicut to get the right amount of highs for you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom