Countdown 0.5...

To all those thinking they'll feel slighted if it is a new version of the Ultra, I can only offer this. (And not to make a comparison to the Fractal units) I used a GSP-2101 for years. They came out with "newer, better" hardware such as the 2112, 2120, 1101. I tried a couple of those units and none compared to my original 2101. And of those GSP units the original 2101 is still the most sought after I believe. Newer isn't always better. Even if it is a new Ultra (which I doubt) you may still have the best one. I haven't been able to buy an Ultra after trying for a couple weeks. If it is a new hardware version I'll probably not even bother until it's been out for a while. The review reading process will start all over...

You're so right, I absolutely share your opinion about the digitech 2101. I used a 2101LE since 2002 and only since 2 months (ie : almost one year after I started to work with the Ultra) I keep it in the attic as my backup unit. That one was wide ahead of it's time, just like the Axe FX (was ?). Well whatever happens I hope FA will continue to support the Axe Fx (std & Ultra) as there are a few issues where I think the unit still has some needs, especially the spillover functions and foot controller (one variable can be controlled by only one controller, except if you risk to work with sysex messages) are a bit hard to come up with, even though now I readily managed to come around with those as well. Let's hope the new product will be accompanied also by a new Axe Edit software that would not be a beta version anymore. I'm quite confident that there is still a long road ahead with FA and am looking forward to what I'll see tomorrow night when coming back from work.
Let's keep on Rockin' !

So long as someone gives us the answers to the picture conundurum from G66's countdown the other day, I'll be happy... I mean Kathleen Turner...WTF??

Rereading the G66 final clue I'm now thinking the Axe Profiler. What is the new challenger to the throne? Could only be the Kemper. The new unit is the Ultra combined with a profiler?

I am just amazed at the amount of carrying on here. Every product has a life span. In computer hardware, it used to be that every 2 years or so there was a doubling of capability. Given that it has been 5 years, the Axe FX seems to be a bit overdue for replacement. Regardless of what's introduced tomorrow, the Axe FX is still superior to the next nearest competitor, so it's not like the bottom is going to fall out of the price of a used of Axe-FX.

If it is new hardware, there will be a significant waiting list anyway considering past performance, so it will give you some time to save those pennies and enjoy your Axe. If it is not, I'm going to wait until braver souls than me have updated theirs before I do mine anyway. So, the only thing you can do at this point is sit back and enjoy the show.

My current guess is that a big merger will be announced tomorrow. Axe-Fx units will be rebranded, and there's a new (redesigned from the ground up) firmware out the door. In the end, the Axe-Fx will no longer be the best modeler out there, because it will be replaced with "the same hardware, but rebranded as FOO".

Someone just posted this on TGP:

"I am very much getting the feeling that this has all been a massive prank by Fractal and it is going to be a hell of a firmware update rather than a new piece of hardware."

To which Cliff gave a ;)

???!!!

This is a massive mindf***k and a hella lot of fun. I'm sorta glad I don't know

Here is the secret:
You'll get a new firmware and a sticker called 'Hyper' - then you have the new one ...

The same is true for the next gen iPhone - new firmware and a stick 'iPhone 5'

LOL

Someone just posted this on TGP:

"I am very much getting the feeling that this has all been a massive prank by Fractal and it is going to be a hell of a firmware update rather than a new piece of hardware."

To which Cliff gave a ;)

???!!!

This is a massive mindf***k and a hella lot of fun. I'm sorta glad I don't know

That was me.

Keep your eyes on the ethernet connector and/or the 6-pin connector on the motherboard of the ULTRA. They are there for a reason. One is probably for diagnostics but that doesn't mean it can't serve a dual purpose.
I posted this a couple of pages before. A new extension unit connected to this bus via a new lid (with external connector wired to the RJ45 jack).

Back
Top Bottom