Countdown 0.5...

All the speculation of a more powerful ultra comes without any consideration that unless a new processor has been released, there is not really a way to make a "faster, more powerful" unit. Cliff has been on the record many times saying that more processors wouldn't really improve anything. Has a new processor been released? Not to my knowledge. If a then b, if b then c..... a=c=there is not a faster more powerful unit coming out. The only reason for speculation is as to what exactly will be in the stripped down version that we all know cliff has been on record about. Axepc would be a terrible business move unless h wants a behringer axe fx out in two months and the software to be all over bittorrent. Support for pc hardware ala UAD cards takes a lot more manpower than a standalone unit because you have to deal with any number of hardware combinations with any number of drivers. Axe pc just isn't a logical move. Axe manage is also on the logical list of things to be released Monday. Seems like a no brainer. 2 days and the mystery is over.

impaciente.jpg

Wait & See

No letdown, huge possibilities now that Fractal is a nr 1 company in the business, the hardware is already irreplacable..
A new mobile interface, Wifi access, firewire, choose your cabs on the fly, USB - maybe - endless user slots for amps also, associated to a new software interface, Axe Edit in "final" version.., an extension unit ?
It must be sth extremely powerfull as an addition to the AxeFx or AxeFx Ultra. A new unit ?
Let's wait & see, I'm looking forward to discover this !

Now I can spill the beans:
It's an external 1U extension box as mentioned before and the new Ultras will already come with the necessary connector (from the main board bus to a connector in the lid of the unit). Owners of existing Ultras can buy a mod kit with the cable and new lid.
More memory, more (2048 ) User Cab slots that you can name, real knobs for the main modifiers on the front, a second stereo FX Loop, USB (with Axe Edit 1.0), two(!) headphone jacks

Wanted to chime in as I've been following the axe for a while, but just couldn't bring myself to make the plunge. Anticipating the wait will pay off.

"With the technology of 2011"
I think this is clearly a nod to a new display, perhaps very similar to the the high resolution displays used on modern smart phones. I would expect the new unit to have much more robust on board editing capability and look exactly like axe edit does on the front panel.

EDIT: and lets not forget touch screen too...

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that the extension unit will have a bluetooth module. Fractal apps for iPhone, iPad and Android allow remote control and editing.

I think it will be a major firmware update. By far the biggest to date. I think the countdown hype including G66 is because there will now be a charge for this particular major update. Not with all firmware updates going forward, just with this major one. What say you??

clues?

Javajunkie ebayed his axe and then pulled it and posted here that he had a beta copy... all within a few days. Maybe he is a part of the pre-planned drama, maybe not.

I guess it is possible Fractal fed-exed him a new bit of hardware. Though, I imagine it'd be more likely a new firmware, or maybe a new eprom was overnighted, in those few days... given he has also had time to test it a bit.

I somehow doubt there is a break-away new box to link to the Axe. That would not be as elegant as a new unit, or a backfit kit.

I'm thinking that maybe while developing an less expensive fx only floor unit he began experimenting to see if he could get amp models to run on the lesser processor and had a eureka moment that redefined everything.

In the spirit of reusing existing engineering to build products that make more people happy my official prediction is: Combo amp with AxeFx electronics and FRFR speakers in one unit. I hope I'm wrong because this wouldn't excite me in the least, but I think it would excite a lot of people and seems a natural product progression.

Back
Top Bottom