couldn't most Djent be played on just a 3 string guitar?

Personally, I don't think Djent is it's own genre. It's friggin' metal. I hate all that "Hardcore, Grindcore, Djent" sub-categorization. That being said, I'm a fan of Misha Monsoor of Periphery as both a guitar player, a writer, and a producer. He's got great chops, doesn't do predictable things in his riffs, and he recorded/produced that entire record. I have the pre-order double disc version and I actually prefer the second disc as it doesn't have vocals on it. I just wish he'd share some of his patches! (he's Bulb here on the forums).

Tosin Abasi from Animals as Leaders is a mind-numbingly good guitarist. I don't care for a lot of the tones he uses, but they work for him and the level of technical ability he possesses is insane.

I don't find myself a "Djent" fan, but I do like those bands in small doses. I loooooooooove Misha's tone. I can't figure out how to get that amazing mechanical sound and either nobody else knows or it's a closely guarded secret.

There is NO SUCH THING as djent as a genre. Its the sound of a palm muted riff, da jent da jent da jent da jent jent jent. Onomatopoeia
ALSO, here is what I always say. "Dont like it? Dont listen to it. Dont like what its doing to the music scene? Make something better and change it."

I think the same thing happened with Techno with what is now called Dubstep, but I remember that stuff way before it was ever called that. We just called it techno or dance music.
When did playing with filters translate into a new sub-genre? When did a few guys goofing around on the internet turn into a new genre now called Djent?
The whole having to name every little thing is silly. What is being called Djent is a vast array of various forms of modern progressive, technical, and groove oriented metal.

The name Djent will pass too. Seriously think about it. How many of us could walk into our local music store and when the guitar guy ask if he can help you will any thing,
you reply, "yeah man, Im trying to get that Djent sound!", and not die laughing or of embarrassment? When I talk to other local musicians and the topic always seems to
come up when talking about modern metal. We creep around the word and try not to say it. Eventually one of us will tell the other, "just say it", "I dont wanna!". HAHA.

Keep your heads up boy o's.
It'll get better. :)

Oh yeah, Flame ON!

Last edited:
I don't really like the term either... but they needed something to differentiate bands like Periphery from "regular" prog-metal.

In my opinion, a lot of these bands sound like mixing Meshuggah and Dream Theater. Some also have screamo vocals. If I type "djent" you know what kind out sound I'm talking about right away and it was a hell of lot less key strokes then writing out that whole description :).

As much as people don't like it to be a sub-genre, it is one.
The word is out there, people use it- it is pointless to try to stop it.

I always thought grunge was a stupid word as well, but the wider contextualised meaning surpasses the word used.

I hear what your saying, Adam, but I disagree. We don't have a separate genre for Dimebag's, Satch's, or Eric Johnson's tone. Why do we need it for Meshuggah? You could type "Periphery" almost as easily as "Djent" and everybody would instantly know the sound. I think genre's should be a category of a writing style, not of EQ. Honestly, I don't really consider Meshuggah's style very close to Periphery at all. Periphery is much more prog influenced, whilst Meshuggah reminds me of the early 2000's where everybody was writing in Drop D and screaming about their parents.

Meshuggah, Periphery, Animals as Leaders, etc... are all just metal. I've actually heard people refer to Metallica's "Sad But True" main riff as Djent...

I hear what your saying, Adam, but I disagree. We don't have a separate genre for Dimebag's, Satch's, or Eric Johnson's tone. Why do we need it for Meshuggah? You could type "Periphery" almost as easily as "Djent" and everybody would instantly know the sound. I think genre's should be a category of a writing style, not of EQ. Honestly, I don't really consider Meshuggah's style very close to Periphery at all. Periphery is much more prog influenced, whilst Meshuggah reminds me of the early 2000's where everybody was writing in Drop D and screaming about their parents.

Meshuggah, Periphery, Animals as Leaders, etc... are all just metal. I've actually heard people refer to Metallica's "Sad But True" main riff as Djent...

The problem is that 'metal' doesn't distinguish between Iron Maiden, Carcass, Periphery, BTBAM, SYL or Poison.
People like to break things down.
You might prefer a catchall of 'metal' but most other people don't.

If you were recruiting a member for a band in the style of Periphery and you said 'guitarist needed for metal band' you would get all sorts of metal guitarists turning up.
Sure you could write 'metal band in the style of periphery' but being able to say 'Djent' is a mental shortcut.

In 100 years people will still be calling it Djent, if they call it anything at all.

Yep!!!

Durr-a-diddle-diddle-durr, djent djent
Durr-a-diddle-diddle-durr, djent djent
etc...

And this is my whole argument summed up.

the onomatopoeia for that riff USED to be...
Dunnn dun dun ba da ba da ba da Dunnn dun dun

"Djent" is a pointless word somebody made up on the internet and people are slathering it onto music that existed 20 years before the word.

I don't really have a problem with all the sub-genre categories. I also agree "djent" does give a person a good idea of the sound/type of metal. I just can hardly keep up with all the sub-categories!

Here's a history from the perspective of the guitarist in Tesseract:
TESSERACT

Seems to support the argument that it is a legitimate scene based on mutual love of Meshuggah, Toontrack drums, and geeking out on forums like this one :).

Edit: Okay so I read the part in the article where that guitarist says it's a sound and not a scene. I still disagree with him :)

I'm old.

I listened to the clips folks posted.

I liked some of it, but the cookie-monster vocal thing and the
wheedly-wheedly guitaring are a couple of decades past their prime...

IMO, of course. No comment on the sub-categorizations :roll :lol

I got your cookiemonster right here :lol even has a touch of the wheedly-wheedly

RIP Wendy...

This is making me miss my old VP70 :geek :roll

Last edited:
There is NO SUCH THING as djent as a genre. Its the sound of a palm muted riff, da jent da jent da jent da jent jent jent. Onomatopoeia
ALSO, here is what I always say. "Dont like it? Dont listen to it. Dont like what its doing to the music scene? Make something better and change it."

I think the same thing happened with Techno with what is now called Dubstep, but I remember that stuff way before it was ever called that. We just called it techno or dance music.
When did playing with filters translate into a new sub-genre? When did a few guys goofing around on the internet turn into a new genre now called Djent?
The whole having to name every little thing is silly. What is being called Djent is a vast array of various forms of modern progressive, technical, and groove oriented metal.

The name Djent will pass too. Seriously think about it. How many of us could walk into our local music store and when the guitar guy ask if he can help you will any thing,
you reply, "yeah man, Im trying to get that Djent sound!", and not die laughing or of embarrassment? When I talk to other local musicians and the topic always seems to
come up when talking about modern metal. We creep around the word and try not to say it. Eventually one of us will tell the other, "just say it", "I dont wanna!". HAHA.

Keep your heads up boy o's.
It'll get better. :)

Oh yeah, Flame ON!

Amen brother! I just had this entire conversation/arguement with some friends last night!

I've been reeling in laughter over the cookie monster metal :lol

As for djent, I like it but I can't play it nor do I entirely like the guitar tones (some of them are downright unpleasant. Some are so honky I could replace the guitar with geese and it might sound better :razz) or the unusual playing high e and b strings on random frets. It's an acquired taste I can say. The reason why I think it blew up is because It's an accessible form of metal to the mainstream users because of the singing, yet appeals to those who want to adventure into heavier music without having their parents think their child worship the lord of darkness.

I should point out at this stage that playing with geese is not recommended. Getting the strings in tune is bad enough, but when you plug the lead in there's a hell of a fight

yep yep (not a band, just felt like it), animals as leaders, born of osiris, periphery, veil of maya, vildhjerta, aeolia, after the burial, tesseract.

Posting some of my favourite videos from them:

:eek: Anything I would say about this would come off sounding like my parents commenting on my Ted Nugent records so....

Back
Top Bottom