Couldn't get to banks / humbuster Qs?

Lance Holland

Inspired
Hi folks,
New (used) Mk1 FX8 arrived last night and I was quickly able to get things up and running. I did run into one hiccup - I couldn't get to the banks. I held down the bank button but they wouldn't display. Finally, I gave up and did a reset of the system parameters. This fixed it. Any clue about what was going on so I know how to avoid it in the future?

I'm running 4CM with a Quilter MP200 Mk 2 8". No humbuster cables - just 6' standard mono. I didn't hear significant noise. Would I expect more noise with longer runs? If humbusters aren't needed with this amp, I'd rather avoid the cost.

For the most part, this was a decent first experience using the FX8. I set up a board that mimics the general functionality of my current setup with a El Cap and an H9. Still working on:
  • a tape delay sound that nails the El Cap
  • a Binson Echorec setting like I have on the H9.
  • a decent univibe (although the bar is high compared to my Drybell Vibe Machine)
Suggestions are welcome!!

Thanks!

L-

Welcome to the Fractal family! I'll really only comment on the humbuster cables. You may not need them at all. I made some just in case, but it turns out I have no noise issues so I don't even need to use them. If you find you do need them, they are actually quite easy to make yourself. Outside of that, they aren't *too* expensive.

The cool thing about the Fractal effects is that you can tweak parameters to make them sound a lot like (or better than) various actual pedals. I'd expect you could nail the sound of the El Capistan using one of the tape echo types and maybe just a couple of tweaks. The harder part is knowing what to tweak. I'll leave those comments to someone who knows both units better than I do. :)

Any clue about what was going on so I know how to avoid it in the future?

I'm running 4CM with a Quilter MP200 Mk 2 8". No humbuster cables - just 6' standard mono. I didn't hear significant noise. Would I expect more noise with longer runs? If humbusters aren't needed with this amp, I'd rather avoid the cost.
The Humbuster cables are not "necessary" but recommended if you experience any unwanted noise with any of your amps. If you are fine with how everything sounds, you're good to go. You will more than likely notice signal rather loss than increased noise with longer cable runs. Of course you'll experience more noise if you turn up your amp to compensate for any signal loss.

The Function footswitches (SCENE, LOOPER, TEMPO on the Mk1) are assignable. More than likely the "BANK UP" and/or "BANK DOWN" were assigned another function(s). Page 21-23 in the manual explains how to edit them on the actual unit, or in FX8 Edit you can edit them in the Footswitches page under Function.Function switches.PNG

Back
Top Bottom