Couldn't get my G-Flex cab to thump with an SS poweramp.

MASSDEFECT

Hi all!

I'm a noob with using a Matrix SS Poweramp. I know that you are supposed to dial in the settings in the speaker page. But I still couldn't get my cab to thump like when Im using a tube poweramp. Im thinking I just don't know how (and I dont understand) those setting parameters and what they do. I came across a forum discussion here with Cliff's math formulas and all but I think I'm missing something.

I'm using a Genz Benz GFlex 2x12 with my Matrix GT1600FX. The Gflex has a pair of 12" custom Eminence speakers. I think they are OEM Legends that Genz Benz used for George Lynch.

Anybody got the values I should input in the speaker page for the GFlex speakers and cab? Speakers say Frequency +/ 3db 60-5K Hz.

Help?

Try playing with the low res freq and amount in the speaker page of the amp block. I never had any luck finding the resonant freq by sweeping but you should be able to get some thump. I've got the exact same gflex cab and had the same amp also before I went to a powered monitor. On the low res, anything below 75 hz might not be noticeable. I would try 90 maybe

Try playing with the low res freq and amount in the speaker page of the amp block. I never had any luck finding the resonant freq by sweeping but you should be able to get some thump. I've got the exact same gflex cab and had the same amp also before I went to a powered monitor. On the low res, anything below 75 hz might not be noticeable. I would try 90 maybe

I tried 92 but it feels unnatural. Feels like a mild subwoofer boom. Do you think the ports of the Gflex affect that? What were your setting before?

I usually use around 95hz with my GFlex, but it could definitely be better. I also notice a resonant peak around 140hz, but that one always sounded too high to me.

I tried 92 but it feels unnatural. Feels like a mild subwoofer boom. Do you think the ports of the Gflex affect that? What were your setting before?
If it sounds like a sub rather than a cab thump, it might be you need a narrower resonance. You might try changing the Q and then sweep for the sweet spot again.

I usually use around 95hz with my GFlex, but it could definitely be better. I also notice a resonant peak around 140hz, but that one always sounded too high to me.

Tried it this weekend. Much better. I put reso peak at 130 though. Thanks for this. I just wish there is a firmware fix that makes it behave like a Boss Katana in terms of doing that solid state speaker interaction. That thing may be cheap but it does do that cab resonance thing better.

If it sounds like a sub rather than a cab thump, it might be you need a narrower resonance. You might try changing the Q and then sweep for the sweet spot again.

You are right. Narrower reso gets me a tighter sound. But not as near as the feel of my cab thru the 5150.

One more question: If I change to a Mesa Vertical 2x12, I need to change these settings right?

Tried it this weekend. Much better. I put reso peak at 130 though. Thanks for this. I just wish there is a firmware fix that makes it behave like a Boss Katana in terms of doing that solid state speaker interaction. That thing may be cheap but it does do that cab resonance thing better.

You are right. Narrower reso gets me a tighter sound. But not as near as the feel of my cab thru the 5150.

One more question: If I change to a Mesa Vertical 2x12, I need to change these settings right?
I will have to try the 130-140 range again. I usually like the lower thump, but maybe this will help. I usually find myself raising the Q value so that the low end has more depth and thickness, than a tight thump.

I agree, I love my Katana head. It is amazing how that little thing does this so well. It is mind-boggling. However, I do think the 9.04 update last month has helped with this. The low end feels better than ever.

Yes, you have to customize this setting for every cab. That is one thing I have a hard time with, because I usually use my GFlex, and a 212 with Eminence V12s in it in stereo. They each have their own frequency.

Back
Top Bottom