Could you try these 2 factory presets with your own AFX's?

ozanerkal

Inspired
This is actually a repost, but i got no answers so trying again.

with two of the NEW factory presets (FW18) (279-New Country and 283-In a Fixx) i am sensing an extra distortion. if you play chords (try 2-3 or 6 string chords) each note has a delightful distortion to it and this is what is intended i guess, but while the notes continue, there is also a subtle distorted sound as if a speaker has been torn or something. i checked both through the Atomic CLR and through headphones, and it was there. i turned all effects and the cab on/off but it was there. so it must be in the amp block.

(BTW, 279 and 283 are only examples. Actually i'm distracted by the same issue in almost every preset that includes an amp with the drive parameter set to let's say between 3/10 and 5/10)

i only want to know if this is the case only with me or do others also hear it? if you hear it do you take it normally, or do you think that it may be a kind of fault?

Edit: here is a clip of what they sound like recorded direct via USB.
https://soundcloud.com/ozanerkal/axe-fw1807-279-283-rec01

thanks

Last edited:
Also - check the noise gate on the input.

Thanks
\Pauly

This is actually a repost, but i got no answers so trying again.

with two of the NEW factory presets (FW18) (279-New Country and 283-In a Fixx) i am sensing an extra distortion. if you play chords (try 2-3 or 6 string chords) each note has a delightful distortion to it and this is what is intended i guess, but while the notes continue, there is also a subtle distorted sound as if a speaker has been torn or something. i checked both through the Atomic CLR and through headphones, and it was there. i turned all effects and the cab on/off but it was there. so it must be in the amp block.

(BTW, 279 and 283 are only examples. Actually i'm distracted by the same issue in almost every preset that includes an amp with the drive parameter set to let's say between 3/10 and 5/10)

i only want to know if this is the case only with me or do others also hear it? if you hear it do you take it normally, or do you think that it may be a kind of fault?

thanks

I tried the presets, albeit at relatively low volume, and everything sounds fine to me. Sounds great in fact. I found the distortion characteristics were uncanny in being 'tube amp-like'. I'm on the latest 18.07FW as well.

I like that new country preset a lot. I changed out the cab to f005 and I can see using this one with the band. I'd have to rename it though, I don't do country really. :)

try lowering the release on the compressor, maybe turn of the comp? :) i'm fiddling with that now

turning off the compressor kinda helps, but the thing is in the amp i'm sure.. and changing the amps doesn't help too.. so i started thinking is it some global thing.. what i'll do now is upgrade from 18.04 to 18.07. and if it don't help too, i'll most definitely go back to my loved 17.04. but i'm not sure i did not have this thing back at 17.04.. i'll have to make a critical listening using the same amps i now find odd.. there goes the weekend..

Just turn the drive down and the level up. Depending on the preset and who made what settings to what amp, lowering the master be needed to get you to crystal clean.

Just turn the drive down and the level up. Depending on the preset and who made what settings to what amp, lowering the master be needed to get you to crystal clean.

thanks M@ but these two are factory presets.
so what i wonder is: "does my sounclip sound right?"
"right" meaning "as intended" here.

i'm not in search of a desired tone here, i'm just trying to understand if my device works perfectly or not.
and the kind of distortion that i sense in these presets feel like i hear a blown speaker.
i also changed the amp block (tried cameron ccv 1b and brit silver for example) in these presets and still felt it.
i also turned every effect off and still felt it.
actually, my problem is that any amp that's set to "a little crunch" sounds similar with these.
the reason i gave them is because everyone has the same presets and can easily try them.

You're hearing tube amp distortion. Try it on a "real" tube amp at low gain, with significant master volume settings. Same thing.

I called up those presets (using v18.06) and got a similar sound to what you recorded. The amps just needed to be reset for the new firmware. After that, everything sounded normal for me.

I called up those presets (using v18.06) and got a similar sound to what you recorded. The amps just needed to be reset for the new firmware. After that, everything sounded normal for me.

Well, i don't know what "resetting amps for the new firmware" means.
And since the "Update Amps All Presets" utility was removed in the FW that you're using (18.06), i think that's not what you did.

So, could you please be more specific about what you did exactly?

Well, i don't know what "resetting amps for the new firmware" means.
And since the "Update Amps All Presets" utility was removed in the FW that you're using (18.06), i think that's not what you did.

So, could you please be more specific about what you did exactly?

Since you are wanting to hear the preset the way it was intended, you should make a note of the amp settings before you do a reset so you can set them back to the original preset value. In this case I went to the Amp Type page and changed the amp away from the one in the preset then switched right back to it. This reset the amp for the new firmware. Note that it will change the Master Volume, Hi-Cut/Presence, Output Level and a few other things to the default value. Usually the Bass, Mid, and Treble controls will remain where they are. I think the input drive does too but I'm not at home right now so I can't confirm that. But that's all there is to it.

The other way to do it is to go into the Amp block, then press and hold the Bypass button. This will reset the amp to its default state. This is usually the best choice if you want to start over from scratch. Just make sure that you don't leave the amp in the bypass mode after the reset.

In either case you should keep in mind that the new firmware may change the overall volume enough that you'll need a different output level. I think both of the presets you asked us to check sounded about the same volume-wise but other presets may vary.

Last edited:
I gave them a try and did not notice any unusual characteristics . In fact I like them very much . Thank you for bringing them to my attention ESP New Country ye haw that's a good n '

Since you are wanting to hear the preset the way it was intended, you should make a note of the amp settings before you do a reset so you can set them back to the original preset value. In this case I went to the Amp Type page and changed the amp away from the one in the preset then switched right back to it. This reset the amp for the new firmware. Note that it will change the Master Volume, Hi-Cut/Presence, Output Level and a few other things to the default value. Usually the Bass, Mid, and Treble controls will remain where they are. I think the input drive does too but I'm not at home right now so I can't confirm that. But that's all there is to it.

The other way to do it is to go into the Amp block, then press and hold the Bypass button. This will reset the amp to its default state. This is usually the best choice if you want to start over from scratch. Just make sure that you don't leave the amp in the bypass mode after the reset.

In either case you should keep in mind that the new firmware may change the overall volume enough that you'll need a different output level. I think both of the presets you asked us to check sounded about the same volume-wise but other presets may vary.

thanks nccarg, very explanatory answer this time.. i was actually hoping you were mentioning something i hadn't already tried, hence the excitement :)
but i already did what you said. and while doing it, i also realized that different amps also sound similar with low gain settings.

so i'm still not clear whether i have a problem or not...

Back
Top Bottom