Could I compare AxeFxII tones to AxeFxIII without an ABY box?

bulgmaf

Inspired
I want to rebuild some of my favorite AxeFx II presets in the Axe III from scratch (not sure I trust FracTool to get this right, given the constant FW updates). I was planning on picking up an ABY box so I could toggle between the two units, signal chain as follows: Guitar > ABY input > ABY output A into Axe II and ABY output B into the AxeFx III. Then each unit would input into my FRFR separately using input 1 and input 2 on my Atomic NEO CLR wedge.

It then occurred to me that maybe I could output my AxeFx II into the AxeFx III, then set up a footswitch on the FC-12 to toggle between the 2 units. I would then send only 1 output to the FRFR. Is this even a possibility? If it’s possible, how complicated?

Yes this would be pretty easy to do. Set up a preset something like this on the Axe-Fx 3, each bullet point is a row:

• IN1 - volume block set to 0 volume - your Axe-Fx 3 preset chain - OUT1
  • IN2 - volume block set to 0 volume - OUT1
In Axe-Fx 3 I/O settings set Output 2 to copy Input 1.

Then connect your Axe-Fx 3 OUT2 to Axe-Fx 2 IN1. Connect Axe-Fx 2 OUT1 to Axe-Fx 3 IN2. Connect your guitar to the Axe-Fx 3 input 1.

You can use Axe-Fx 3 scenes to switch the volume block for each row on and off, effectively muting that row. I'm sure there are more elegant ways to do it like the multiplexer block but this is easy to understand and setup.

Yes this would be pretty easy to do. Set up a preset something like this on the Axe-Fx 3, each bullet point is a row:

• IN1 - volume block set to 0 volume - your Axe-Fx 3 preset chain - OUT1
  • IN2 - volume block set to 0 volume - OUT1
In Axe-Fx 3 I/O settings set Output 2 to copy Input 1.

Then connect your Axe-Fx 3 OUT2 to Axe-Fx 2 IN1. Connect Axe-Fx 2 OUT1 to Axe-Fx 3 IN2. Connect your guitar to the Axe-Fx 3 input 1.

You can use Axe-Fx 3 scenes to switch the volume block for each row on and off, effectively muting that row. I'm sure there are more elegant ways to do it like the multiplexer block but this is easy to understand and setup.
Sounds easy enough. I’m assuming Axe-Fx 3 output 1 goes to my FRFR?

Back
Top Bottom