Could bad power cause this? (Axe Issue)

jlynnb1

Axe-Master
Last night during rehearsal my AxeII power cycled and then the screen would flash on and off without powering all the way back up. i was plugged into an extension with some other equipment on stage so i ran an extension chord to just my Axe and didn't have the issue the rest of the night through rehearsal and a service. I plugged the extension cord into the same outlet the other cord i was originally plugged into was in.

never encountered this before.

If I'm picking this up right - you changed the extension cable for the Axe from what it originally was using?

You used the same mains wall outlet though to power the new extension cable as was used in the old extension cable?

Were the additional devices still drawing power from the same mains outlet via their own extension after you used a new extension just for the Axe (IE it is a double socket mains wall outlet)?

Could be just as simple as a bad socket in that original multi-socket extension cable .... or if the extension has some sort of surge protection it could have been browning out ....

I've had a few bad sockets in extension cables over the years ..... one classic tale was when I got a surge protected multi-gang extension from a well known national electrical store branch. I took it home and as soon as it was plugged in it blew one of the mains trips.

I took it back to the store and the sales assistant didn't believe me and insisted on plugging it in to check .... the socket he used was in one of the islands where they had the cash registers ...... I did warn him at least twice that it would blow something ..... but he plugged it in .... bang .... half the store went dark, alarm bells went off and every cash register opened their cash drawers (some sort of security measure to ensure they can lift out the cash when power fails). The sales assistant jumped up from where he had plugged in the extension and cracked his head on the bottom of the opened cash drawer of his till causing half the coins to fly out and also drew blood from a nasty looking scalp wound.

We decided (once the correct trip had been found, power restored and the local fire department contacted to stop them arriving) that it would be best to just get my money back rather than try testing a replacement extension of the same make :)

+1 on the low voltage.

I had a DSL modem and an electronic picture frame that kept power cycling. In both cases, it was a bad power supply.

The power supplies were both supplying the correct voltage when measured with a volt meter, but that's a no load voltage. As soon as the power supplies were subjected to a load (ie, plugged in the modem and frame) the voltage dropped below the min. threshold and the devices just kept power cycling.

In your case, the circuit was most likely overloaded and/or the extension cord was too long, which introduced too much restive impedance and inductive impedance...especially if the extension cord was still partially wound up. The inductive impedance would have also produced a counter EMF.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom