Corrupt Patch?

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this and knows how to remedy the issue.

I have a patch (my clean patch) which crackles even if I bypass every block on the signal chain.

If I recreate the same preset on a different patch or switch to another similar patch the crackling is gone.

Can my preset 33 be somehow corrupt?

I doubt it's the firmware if other patches work fine. What happens if you save the re-created preset into slot #33? You could also try reloading #33 from back up.

I doubt it's the firmware if other patches work fine. What happens if you save the re-created preset into slot #33? You could also try reloading #33 from back up.

I actually haven't tried this, just did some basic troubleshooting but this is should probably be my next step.

What is your CPU level? Bypassing the blocks has no effect on CPU usage.

I'm not sure, but it's not a very 'block heavy' patch, I have other patches that are more involved that work just fine. Plus this same patch used to work just fine.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this and knows how to remedy the issue.

I have a patch (my clean patch) which crackles even if I bypass every block on the signal chain.

If I recreate the same preset on a different patch or switch to another similar patch the crackling is gone.

Can my preset 33 be somehow corrupt?

Bypassing a block does not reduce CPU usage. Only removing a block will.

I'm not sure, but it's not a very 'block heavy' patch, I have other patches that are more involved that work just fine. Plus this same patch used to work just fine.

Still worth checking the CPU level just in case. Certain block types of effects can use more CPU than others, so even if your patch has less blocks, it could still consume more CPU than a patch with more blocks. Drive and Reverb for example can both differ CPU wise quite a bit depending on the type of effect selected.

That said, I suspect a corrupt patch and reverting to a backup might work, or rebuilding your patch.

What do I do if this is the case?

Is there a way to de-fragment my Axe Fx?

Ah no, I think I should have chosen better wording in my response! :)

What I meant by rebuilding your patch, is start with a new clean patch (with a clear grid), and place new blocks on it in the same way as your old patch. You could export your old patch to CSV to check all of the settings (I do this and use a text compare tool such as Beyond Compare which has a long demo period); then step through the CSV file and change each setting in your new patch until it is identical.

And when I referred to the backup, I meant a backup of your preset/patch, not a Firmware backup. If you have a backup of the preset from when you know it was fine, then definitely import it and see if that works.

I hope this helps!

What do I do if this is the case?

Is there a way to de-fragment my Axe Fx?
Do you have a backup of the preset? You can use FracTool to recreate it from the backup.

Or try saving a different preset into that spot followed by reloading the preset from backup.

Post the preset... If it's a CPU load issue it should be apparent to others. Doesn't need a lot of blocks to use heavy CPU, just the "right" ones ;)

Try deleting any block and see if the crackling goes away...

what was the cpu level?
Yes it was. CPU level was at 93%.
Bypassing a block does not reduce CPU usage. Only removing a block will.
I removed a reverb block and my cpu usage shot down to 78%.. While this solves my immediate problem, I was seriously considering an AX8 but seeing how easily I maxed out my Mark II I'm now having second thoughts.. :/

Yes it was. CPU level was at 93%.

I removed a reverb block and my cpu usage shot down to 78%.. While this solves my immediate problem, I was seriously considering an AX8 but seeing how easily I maxed out my Mark II I'm now having second thoughts.. :/

Use the Spring Reverb, it hardly uses any CPU in comparison to the other CPU types.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks mate!

It's a useful trick if you don't want to loose your Reverb block but are hitting high CPU levels. I tend to use a Spring Reverb if I need to and then tweak it a bit to make it sound closer to what I want.

As a last resort, you can also change the Cab block to normal Res rather than Ultra Res - in a live band you won't really hear any difference but you might notice a little bit when jamming on your own.

It's a useful trick if you don't want to loose your Reverb block but are hitting high CPU levels. I tend to use a Spring Reverb if I need to and then tweak it a bit to make it sound closer to what I want.

As a last resort, you can also change the Cab block to normal Res rather than Ultra Res - in a live band you won't really hear any difference but you might notice a little bit when jamming on your own.

Definitely useful tricks to keep in my back pocket. I definitely wouldn't compromise my cab block for a reverb, but when I play live I use a real cab so for my live situation getting rid of the cab block may be helpful.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom