Wish Cornish SS-3 (schematic included)

I think it’s one of those pedals where because it says Cornish and it’s rare and expensive and he works with certain artist people hear it differently than if If was same guts, but housed in some “$30 with free shipping from China” eBay brand

Cornish pedals shine on SUSTAIN that others never reached, and do jobs well in clean channel tube amps with headrooms.
If you sounds in bedroom level or with lower wattage,lunch box amp, nobody tell the diferences with ordinary cheep ODs.

So, you reckon that pedal above in the vid is terrible?
When he clicks it on at 0:18: yes -- that sounds like a can of bees to me.

At 1:30 things sound passable, but not special in any way that makes me think I couldn't get a tone like with an other sort of boost pedal that had some top end cut on it.

At 2:30 we're back to bees in a can.

Oh god. When the sustain value gets jacked it's just awful.

Last edited:

At 1:30 things sound passable, but not special in any way that makes me think I couldn't get a tone like with an other sort of boost pedal that had some top end cut on it.

I'm going to listen to it again

OK, I'm back...... Its crunchy alright, but sounds like it suited to single coils like the vid. Its something different that some axers will like.

I'd like to try it out 😁

OK, I'm back...... Its crunchy alright, but sounds like it suited to single coils like the vid. Its something different that some axers will like.

I'd like to try it out 😁
Horse for courses, of course. But I wouldn't know where to use a tone like that. No judgement from me on anyone who's boat floats with a tone like that.

It sounds like one of those tones that might sound good cutting through a dense mix, where other instruments are filling in the body that isn't there in this tone.

So, you reckon that pedal above in the vid is terrible?

If terrible and horrible are synonyms, then yes. I’m just going by the recording and experiences with the Distortion +, and they sound really terrible, and not in a good way like a fuzz. Of course it’s all subjective. It’s nothing more than my opinion.

I think I just chose the wrong video on youtube cuz those are not the kind of tones where this pedal excels, and the base clean tone of that guy probably needs some tweaking too to make the SS2 work.

This pedal is not versatile by any means, it was created to do just a couple things but it does them excellently imho, and obviously it is suited only to bluesy stuff or classic rock.

From my memory, these are the things that I particularly liked when I had the ss2 clone:

1. It is one of the most transparent overdrive pedals that I've tried, if you set it clean or if you turn down the volume on the guitar you'll basically hear the tone of your amp unaltered.
2. Set it on the edge of breakup and it will sound like your amp is on the edge of breakup, the tone will become fat and harmonically rich, with a lot of dynamics.
3. Place it after a fuzz or a muff set fairly clean and it will smooth out the harshness of those pedals making a "creamy" lead tone

Here's a video that probably shows a bit better what it can do:

Last edited:
@DLC86 that second video was definitely not close-mic'ed so, don't expect it to sound like that coming out of the Axe-Fx. Better tones, but nothing I'd call remarkably unique coming out of the box.

Well, I often play thru a traditional 2x12 so it's probably close to what I'll hear ;)
Anyway as I said I've owned the pedal in the past so I know what to expect and I've also tried it in front of the axe 2.
You can definitely get those kind of tones even thru a close-mic IR.

I just recalled I did a video years ago (2015), it's just me noodling around cuz I shot it only to show the buyer it was working properly.
The audio was recorded by the phone mic but what you hear is coming from an axe fx 2 thru studio monitors

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom