Copying scenes from different presets into one

Setlists also takes care of this as well as you can very easily pull up scenes from different presets with one tap using sections within a song. I'm sure Fractal is working on porting setlists to the FM3 and FM9 now.

This ↑. The only thing scenes "store" is which blocks are on or off, which channel is selected, scene controller values and per scene levels for the output blocks. Everything else is on the channel, block, or preset level. Scenes don't control settings except for scene controller values and output block levels.
Exactly, think of a switcher.
So, in this context, my suggested 2-steps approach would be:
1. create the complete set of pedals/amp/cabs (the preset). To help users, allow doing this starting from a scene of an existing preset, create a fully new preset with those blocks, and assign this scene settings to Channel A on all blocks (of course, save the scene so it now use Channel A everywhere...).
2. create the other patches (the other scenes/channels). For this, in the FM3-Edit allow selecting any scene and copy it to the target preset, using a new channel for all blocks. Of course, this action first checks that the target preset has all the needed blocks, if not it spits it out.

From a SW implementation perspective, this looks feasible and even quite simple in terms of user interface. It would be nice to hear anybody from the FM3-Edit dev team to get their opinion.

this action first checks that the target preset has all the needed blocks, if not it spits it out
For this very reason very few presets will ever have "interchangeable"/copyable scenes. Probably this is why it's not even worth to invest in this. Too much work for quite rare occasion.

For this very reason very few presets will ever have "interchangeable"/copyable scenes. Probably this is why it's not even worth to invest in this. Too much work for quite rare occasion.
That would be interesting to verify. I tend to use a quite standard layout, with more or less always the same blocks. If that is the case for several users, then it would not be as rare as you said, and it might be worth doing it. Especially if - as I believe - it is not a huge investment in terms of SW development (it would be just an FM3-Edit thing, no impact on the HW or its firmware of course).

But, again, would be nice to hear somebody from the SW dev team on this...

Last edited:
That would be interesting to verify. I tend to use a quite standard layout, with more or less always the same blocks. If that is the case for several users, then it would not be as rare as you said, and it might be worth doing it. Especially if - as I believe - it is not a huge investment in terms of SW development (it would be just an FM3-Edit thing, no impact on the HW or its firmware of course).

But, again, would be nice to hear somebody from the SW dev team on this...
There's no ability to even copy multiple blocks.

I think you are seriously underestimating the amount of effort required.

You are not the first to ask for something like this...

There's no ability to even copy multiple blocks.

I think you are seriously underestimating the amount of effort required.

You are not the first to ask for something like this...

With the FM3-Edit you can copy a full preset to another slot: ain't that a copy of multiple blocks? So the base code might be there.
I may be underestimating it, as I can't see the code of course. But my little experience with SW coding tells that this seems doable with a reasonable effort. I maybe totally wrong, of course...

Last edited:
Looks like you know the internal code... interesting. Could you elaborate a bit on why it's not the same thing?
Copying a whole preset does just that -- copies everything in the preset into a new preset location.

Copying parts of a preset into a different existing preset means knitting the blocks and their settings from both presets together. Totally different.

Copying a whole preset does just that -- copies everything in the preset into a new preset location.

Copying parts of a preset into a different existing preset means knitting the blocks and their settings from both presets together. Totally different.
Yes, I see, in that sense it certainly is a different operation. But maybe internally the code is already structured so it first creates the target layout (blocks and connections), then the channels and the scenes as needed. If that is the case, maybe some needed code blocks could be already there, to be reused.
Anyway... no point in me and you brainstorming on this, I guess :). Not without some input/opinion from the dev guys, at least...

Back
Top Bottom