Copying scenes from different presets into one

Copy the factory preset to another preset slot, then modify.

Note that all scenes of a preset always have the same chain. You can't add or delete blocks per scene. Per scene, you can only set a block on/off, or change the channel of a block, and some more advanced stuff.
  • PRESET: like your traditional pedalboard.
  • SCENE: like your traditional pedalboard at a particular moment, with effects being on or off, and set to a channel.
  • CHANNEL: like one of the pedals on that pedalboard with its controls set in a specific way. There are 4 channels in most blocks, so 4 different sets of settings.

Copy the factory preset to another preset slot, then modify.

Note that all scenes of a preset always have the same chain. You can't add or delete blocks per scene. Per scene, you can only set a block on/off, or change the channel of a block, and some more advanced stuff.
  • PRESET: like your traditional pedalboard.
  • SCENE: like your traditional pedalboard at a particular moment, with effects being on or off, and set to a channel.
  • CHANNEL: like one of the pedals on that pedalboard with its controls set in a specific way. There are 4 channels in most blocks, so 4 different sets of settings.
Then only for one song will I need to dance on the buttons for a long time in order to switch different sounds from presets to scenes? It's not logical and difficult. Horror((

Of course not. You are jumping to conclusions without learning the device first.
But how. I want to play a melody on the sound from preset 157 scene 1. And then immediately switch to the sound from preset 344 scene 2 on the chorus. If I can't put it together into one author's personal preset, how can I quickly turn the verse-chorus-verse-chorus?

Copy the required blocks from both presets into a new preset. Set up the scenes as desired.

There's no "magic" here. A scene is merely the on/off states and channel selection of the blocks within a preset. They have no "values" on their own.

Once you understand that then you will understand why your request isn't really possible.

Copy the required blocks from both presets into a new preset. Set up the scenes as desired.

There's no "magic" here. A scene is merely the on/off states and channel selection of the blocks within a preset. They have no "values" on their own.

Once you understand that then you will understand why your request isn't really possible.
Thanks. I will try to solve the problem as you suggested.
Unfortunately there is no instruction in Russian. I don't understand translation well through Google. :(

How do I copy different ready-made scenes from different presets to another custom preset? Help!
Let’s try a different tack. Tell us what you tried, and what went wrong, and we’ll help you do it correctly. Currently we don’t know what you did, so we have to guess where you are in the process and then try to correct it, and that’s too big of a problem domain.

Merging multiple presets takes digging into each one and understanding what each scene and block’s channels are doing, then determining if you will be able to fit everything into one preset. It also takes familiarity with scene controllers and channels, and how to figure out when one is used vs. the other. In other words it’s not a trivial task unless the presets are trivial.

Take the two presets, try combining them into one, then show us your attempt by attaching it to a message in the thread and explain what it is that you cannot figure out and we’ll help get you rolling again.

Thanks. I will try to solve the problem as you suggested.
Unfortunately there is no instruction in Russian. I don't understand translation well through Google. :(
You have to think of a preset as a pedal board. The scene is the current state of any given pedal on that board (is the pedal on or off and which channel is it using). When you start talking of switching from a scene in preset A to a scene in preset B, that is sort of like switching out pedal boards.

It sounds like you also need help in understanding Channels and this is probably the most difficult concept. As @yek explained, the signal chain is constant for a given preset, but you can utilize the concept of channels to swap out an effect or to change the settings for an existing effect in the chain (but you can't change the effect type, so a drive will remain a drive, a delay a delay, etc.). You have four channels for any given preset, so in a drive block, you could assign four different settings for the same drive (the scene determines the channel) or you could assign four different drives with settings (or some combination in between).

Last edited:
Hi,
I was going to post a similar "wish" for the FM3-Edit but it's probably better to revive this thread instead.
I agree with the original post, it would be very convenient to be able to copy a given scene to another preset. I know that a scene has no meaning without its preset, however maybe it could be achieved by two commands (which are both missing now, I think):
1 - copy all blocks of source scene to a new, empty preset. This just prepares a new preset.
2 - copy the source scene settings to a given Channel of that preset. (This should first check if the target preset has all the needed block, of course).

When you want to add any scene to the same preset (step 2 above), it can only work if the target preset has the needed blocks. So, to achieve what this thread was asking for, do the two commands above for the first scene. then manually edit the add missing blocks, if needed (in my case, the scenes I'd like to group may differ for a compressor or a wah block, I can just add the missing one before doing step 2 above).

Does this makes sense?

Luca

Hi,
I was going to post a similar "wish" for the FM3-Edit but it's probably better to revive this thread instead.
I agree with the original post, it would be very convenient to be able to copy a given scene to another preset. I know that a scene has no meaning without its preset, however maybe it could be achieved by two commands (which are both missing now, I think):
1 - copy all blocks of source scene to a new, empty preset. This just prepares a new preset.
2 - copy the source scene settings to a given Channel of that preset. (This should first check if the target preset has all the needed block, of course).

When you want to add any scene to the same preset (step 2 above), it can only work if the target preset has the needed blocks. So, to achieve what this thread was asking for, do the two commands above for the first scene. then manually edit the add missing blocks, if needed (in my case, the scenes I'd like to group may differ for a compressor or a wah block, I can just add the missing one before doing step 2 above).

Does this makes sense?

Luca
You can already do this. Simply copy the parent preset. Go to the copied preset and select the scene you wanted to copy. Now delete any unused blocks for that scene and delete any other scenes w/i the preset. There you go.

You can already do this. Simply copy the parent preset. Go to the copied preset and select the scene you wanted to copy. Now delete any unused blocks for that scene and delete any other scenes w/i the preset. There you go.
That kinda covers step 1 above (even if in a cumbersome, lenghty way...). But we still need step #2... and it has to be an independent command that DOES NOT change the blocks in the layout, just copy the settings storing them to a given channel.

Bottom line: no, I don't think we can already achieve it...

I understand it's "doable", yes, but the option to copy scenes between presets would be a very nice shortcut :)

That kinda covers step 1 above (even if in a cumbersome, lenghty way...). But we still need step #2... and it has to be an independent command that DOES NOT change the blocks in the layout, just copy the settings storing them to a given channel.

Bottom line: no, I don't think we can already achieve it...
All of your channel settings will be saved with that scene. It's not really that cumbersome using Edit.

This shows how powerful scenes are, that they are being thought of as presets within a preset. If scenes were somehow separate from presets, allowing the saving of individual scenes, this could be possible. The FAS system simply doesn't separate scenes from presets, scenes are a tool within a preset, not a preset within a preset.

Let's remove the amp and cab for a moment and think of each preset as a separate pedalboard with an 8 switch looper pedal. There is no way to take the settings of switch #3 and move it to another pedalboard without first creating another board with the same pedals. That's how the FAS system works with the added power of channels that can be saved to the "looper" pedal.

This ↑. The only thing scenes "store" is which blocks are on or off, which channel is selected, scene controller values and per scene levels for the output blocks. Everything else is on the channel, block, or preset level. Scenes don't control settings except for scene controller values and output block levels.

Let's remove the amp and cab for a moment and think of each preset as a separate pedalboard with an 8 switch looper pedal. There is no way to take the settings of switch #3 and move it to another pedalboard without first creating another board with the same pedals. That's how the FAS system works with the added power of channels that can be saved to the "looper" pedal.

My apologies for repeating something I've posted before, but if Fractal Audio presented scenes to customers using this switcher metaphor, 99% of the confusion surrounding scenes would be eliminated. Instead of "scenes", a preset has a switcher, and the switcher has 8 patches.

But how. I want to play a melody on the sound from preset 157 scene 1. And then immediately switch to the sound from preset 344 scene 2 on the chorus. If I can't put it together into one author's personal preset, how can I quickly turn the verse-chorus-verse-chorus?
Quite easy, actually.
Using FM3-edit, make them presets #157 and 158 (swap presets).
Then press "Save" when you are in scene 2 of preset 158 (ex-344).
Now switch back and forth between presets instead of scenes, it's a fraction of a second longer then switching between scenes.

Back
Top Bottom