Copy/Paste vs. Clipboard

Ron_R

Power User
Having some confusion with FM3 Edit.

I was in a scene where the Amp was different among scenes. It was the Recto1 Preset, I believe, where one of the scenes had a Recto Red.

I wanted to create a new preset, but using the settings I had set up within the scene of the Recto Red amp. I copied the block, and tried to add it by pasting it to a new blank preset and it didn't work. It copied the amp from the first scene of the Preset, which was Recto Orange, I believe. I then went to the channels and when I left clicked noticed that I could save the Amp to the clipboard, and that was how I was able to paste it to the new preset I was making. I had to also do that with the Cab block, as when I tried to copy/paste it, it put a whole different amp combination altogether in the cab block of the preset I was trying to create.

The copy/paste function DID work with the effects I wanted to transfer over, as it didn't give me an option to use the Clipboard.

Okay, so where does the clipboard file go? Does it go to a folder I can pull up within FM3Edit? I'm a little confused by all this as with the Axe Fx II, I was able to cut and paste right from the front panel, which I know can't do with the FM3. I know to do any of this, I have to use FM3 Edit.

Is there somewhere I can read about this "clipboard" feature, as I can't seem to find it within the FM3 User Manual? Thanks for any help and clarification.

This is a frequent source of confusion, but the issue here is channels. The settings you expected to see when you pasted the block are on another channel within the block. If you click on the other channels, you'll find it there. For this reason, it's usually best to avoid copying blocks. Instead, copy the channel using "copy to clipboard" from the channel menu (And paste using the channel menu). That way you won't get any unpleasant surprises when you paste. The same goes for your block library. Don't put blocks into your library. Put channels into the library.

Copy/paste/save to library of blocks is an advanced feature that should probably be relegated to an advanced menu to make sure people primarily use channels when doing copy/paste/save to library.

This is a frequent source of confusion, but the issue here is channels. The settings you expected to see when you pasted the block are on another channel within the block. If you click on the other channels, you'll find it there. For this reason, it's usually best to avoid copying blocks. Instead, copy the channel using "copy to clipboard" from the channel menu (And paste using the channel menu). That way you won't get any unpleasant surprises when you paste. The same goes for your block library. Don't put blocks into your library. Put channels into the library.

Copy/paste/save to library of blocks is an advanced feature that should probably be relegated to an advanced menu to make sure people primarily use channels when doing copy/paste/save to library.

Thanks! Where is the file that the clipboard saves to? Is there a drop down somewhere where it can be seen and re-used? Or once you paste the clipboarded file, does it disappear from the clipboard? Very helpful information!

Thanks! Where is the file that the clipboard saves to? Is there a drop down somewhere where it can be seen and re-used? Or once you paste the clipboarded file, does it disappear from the clipboard? Very helpful information!
I don't think there's a clipboard file. Both Mac and Windows have in-memory clipboard storage. Copy data of some kind into it, then paste from it to another location or program. Outside Fractal gear, you do this all the time, with text or formatted text or spreadsheet cells or pictures.

As mentioned, it's similar to the basic copy and paste function; no storage, just a tool to move data (channel) from one location (block) to another. The bottom of the Channel menu shows what is currently in the Clipboard. After pasting, the information remains in the Clipboard until you copy another channel or close FM3 Edit.

Thanks everyone! Appreciate the help!

Is this Clipboard function explanation written down anywhere? I can't find it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom