Cooper Carter's amp in the room...

Dixiethedog

Experienced
Cooper Carter did a really great video yesterday which explained how to get an amp in the room type of sound.

I copied Cooper's suggested settings exactly over to a couple of presets in my AX8 and noticed an immediate difference (better) in the sound thru my low end budget studio monitors. To my ear's the sound became more alive. I will be working thru the presets I like to use and eliminating the cabs as necessary.
One other advantage for me is it eliminates for me having to try out different IR's. People seem to say use this IR or this one and if I'm totally honest (I'm hard of hearing in one ear, have tinitus and cant hear certain frequencies) I can never tell the difference between one IR or another. Old age and too much noise over the years, so please be warned! I'm apparently at the old age of youth and at the youth of old age.
So for me, a big thank you to @Cooper Carter for opening up some new sounds to me.
And dont forget that a lot of settings from AXE FX3's, FM's etc can be transfered over to our good old AX8's so please keep an eye out for the excellent video's Cooper post's along with so many great guitar players who share their knowledge and sound making skills (Leon, Marco,Stefan,Gurtej, Mark P and so many others).

Cooper's video, based of a discovery of Cliff's, was extremely helpful. It led me to discover that other filter options aside from low pass have their own uses. We live and learn and the more we learn, the better we can tailor our sound to our tastes.

It's a usable approach but...

- Far as I can see, it has even less to do with "amp in the room" than an IR does. It's purely modeling frequency response, nothing else.

- IRs are an approach to modeling the complex response curves of real speakers captured with real microphones, and to some extent a real room. This alternative is more directly controllable, but no EQ in the Axe (or anywhere else really) has that level of detailed control, and if it did, we have no idea how to stimulate the real speakers and cabs we hear on records.

- You can always put an EQ in the chain along with an IR. Every so block has a graphic built in.

It's a usable approach but...

- Far as I can see, it has even less to do with "amp in the room" than an IR does. It's purely modeling frequency response, nothing else.

- IRs are an approach to modeling the complex response curves of real speakers captured with real microphones, and to some extent a real room. This alternative is more directly controllable, but no EQ in the Axe (or anywhere else really) has that level of detailed control, and if it did, we have no idea how to stimulate the real speakers and cabs we hear on records.

- You can always put an EQ in the chain along with an IR. Every so block has a graphic built in.
That's what I thought at first, but after experimenting with it I found it created a new set of possibilities.

Do you guys set the high and low cut controls in the cab block when you were using a cab block?

Do you guys set the high and low cut controls in the cab block when you were using a cab block?
Sometimes. It depends on how I'm using the other blocks in the preset, the particular cab/cabs used, and the sound I'm trying to produce. I've found it unnecessary in most cases but crucial in others.

Back
Top Bottom