Cool Time With Plini, David Maxim Micic, and Nick Johnston

They're ridiculously lightweight and ergonomic. Mine is under 5 lbs with Lace Alumitones. They sound great to boot. It's the only guitar I play now out of the 22 guitars I have.

I've seen one with a JB and Jazz pickup selection. The JB and 59 are my favourite (On my Charvel). The guitars looks real comfortable and I didn't realise they only weighed 2-3kg. I'd love to be able to play one but I doubt anyone in my area sells them. That's said they do seem to be taking off and seem to be available in promising quantities.
I'll keep and eye out for them....

I've seen one with a JB and Jazz pickup selection. The JB and 59 are my favourite (On my Charvel). The guitars looks real comfortable and I didn't realise they only weighed 2-3kg. I'd love to be able to play one but I doubt anyone in my area sells them. That's said they do seem to be taking off and seem to be available in promising quantities.
I'll keep and eye out for them....

I have one too, with the Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz. Great guitar, it's my go-to. Weighs a little over 2kg, and really well balanced, comfortable to hold in any position. Headless is great. Tuning is a bit more of a challenge with the small knobs, but great sound and comfort. The endura-neck is not a big deal for me, but it's a cool concept.

Wow.
I discovered David Maxim Micic a few years back when Bilo 2.0 came out Then Earlier this year he released 'Who bit the moon'
That album is the best I've heard In years. It has hands down the best production I've ever heard. He does't do wanky djent rubbish , it's all in context to strong anthemic melodies that ride through the albums and pop up in different ways throughout. He comes up with these great unique production ideas like the volume dump in one of his solos. The guy is a sonic genius.

Even If it's not your kind of music I urge anyone to just take a listen to hear how good audio can sound.

I've been binging on this album ever since seeing this vid from NAMM in Feb:

His sense of melody and "feel" is nothing short of amazing. I LOVE how he gets technical but very subtly. I'm generally not a huge fan of constant wooblywooblywoobly wanking...

Ever since hearing Intervals TSOC and Polyphia's stuff and, most recently David Maxim Micic...man...my guitar world has changed. DMM has a rather amusing YouTube channel, too:

Phoenix, but yeah that was the tour. It was a great show. A Plintervals EP would be amazing.

Oh SH!T!! When was this!?! I live in Phoenix too and didn't hear about this!! I'd have been there in a SECOND!! lol

Yeah listening to Scale the Summit station on Pandora introduced me to Plini and some others. I didn't know who DMM was until after I'd bought a ticket to the show and looked him up to figure out what I'd be listening to. Then I was all, holy shit how'd I not know about him! Lol

It was Aug 28th. Scale the Summit was here with Marty Friedman and The Fine Constant on the 25th. This Will Destroy You is in town September 25th, Dream Theater on October 28th, and Animals as Leaders with Periphery is November 21st. You should get the Bandsintown app.

Yeah listening to Scale the Summit station on Pandora introduced me to Plini and some others. I didn't know who DMM was until after I'd bought a ticket to the show and looked him up to figure out what I'd be listening to. Then I was all, holy **** how'd I not know about him! Lol

It was Aug 28th. Scale the Summit was here with Marty Friedman and The Fine Constant on the 25th. This Will Destroy You is in town September 25th, Dream Theater on October 28th, and Animals as Leaders with Periphery is November 21st. You should get the Bandsintown app.

Oh nice! I think I even have that app...maybe I need to update it or something. Got some good stuff coming up!

What a great band. Good guys too.
They're playing in NYC on 9/15. I will try to go.

Here's a photo of the day that Plini and I created the sounds for this tour.
The heavy tone is pretty straightforward, but I don't think he'd mind me telling you that some of his ambient and effect tones are more than "simple".
He's also using an AX8 now for smaller shows/fly-ins.
The tones are direct to FOH plus guitar cabs on stage.
You are correct: that's the Duncan "PowerStage" on the black cab. It's a really nice little amp for your backline cab!
(That red amp in the shot is un-used).

Way cool..
I just bought a "Power Stage 170" for small venues and easy subway travel. It's perfect with the AX8! Already I did a few rehearsal and couple of gigs with it. Great little amp with lots of headroom for small venues.

Glad to see someone using the 700. I like the 170 so much I'm really considering getting the 700 to use with my Axe FX II XL, for larger/stereo venues.

What a great band. Good guys too.
They're playing in NYC on 9/15. I will try to go.

Here's a photo of the day that Plini and I created the sounds for this tour.
The heavy tone is pretty straightforward, but I don't think he'd mind me telling you that some of his ambient and effect tones are more than "simple".
He's also using an AX8 now for smaller shows/fly-ins.
The tones are direct to FOH plus guitar cabs on stage.
You are correct: that's the Duncan "PowerStage" on the black cab. It's a really nice little amp for your backline cab!
(That red amp in the shot is un-used).

View attachment 41664

Matt,

Any chance Plini would agree to share some details on his ambient tones? Even if it's just some basic conceptual stuff maybe?

Matt,

Any chance Plini would agree to share some details on his ambient tones? Even if it's just some basic conceptual stuff maybe?

While you're waiting on that, try this:

http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=5611

Which was a preset made based on my interpretation of what @Bruce1448 described in this video:

Before I realized he had already posted his preset:

http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=3803

This is the thread where it all started:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...torial-ambient-post-rock.106261/#post-1271099

@iaresee doesn't make crappy presets:

http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=5493

Neither does @LucasLeCompte (I haven't tried this one yet):

http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=4909

Haha. It was truly amazing. A bit surreal in hindsight. But the fact that they were so down to earth and cool made it feel a bit more like just hanging out with some cool guys who all happen to be awesome at guitar....which is exactly what it was really.

Way cool..
I just bought a "Power Stage 170" for small venues and easy subway travel.

This looks cool! What kind of cab are you running with it? I've been thinking about putting a little setup together so I don't have to monkey around with my computer's inputs and outputs every time I just want to play...lol

This looks cool! What kind of cab are you running with it? I've been thinking about putting a little setup together so I don't have to monkey around with my computer's inputs and outputs every time I just want to play...lol

That's the beauty of it... whatever cabinet back-line was available at the venue. Bear in mind, that can be a risk, as not all cabinets sound great, so inquire what they have before you go if possible.

So far, I've used a few different real cabs (Marshall 4*12, Bogner 1*12, Soldano 1*12, etc...). Sometimes I needed to bring a cabinet, so I used 1 of my Accugroove Lattes (FRFR) cabinet (obviously with cab simulator on).

It's a real game changer in portability, but most important, it's sounded great in all scenarios I've used it in so far.

Back
Top Bottom